Jeep Patriot Forums banner
121 - 140 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I added a temperature gauge to the initial cooling circuit. It seems that it's near the 195f mark. As soon I start driving the temperature drops because the wind cools the sensor. I'll have to protect the sensor from the draft a little better.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is a cross post for another CVT post but I figured I'd post it here too.

I live in Boston and currently as I type this my car is over at the dealership that I purchased the car from about 2 years ago. Long story short I've had all of the CVT issues that we all read about (whining, limp mode, power loss, etc.) Saturday night I was leaving work and not even 2 miles into my trip I was pushing the car a little to merge into a lane and the car jerked, CEL came on and I lost total power. I had the car towed to the dealership that I bought it from but usually don't have it serviced there after a few horrible experiences but it was the closest one that I could have it towed to for free with AAA.

This is not the first time this has occurred it has gone into limp mode before and I had to quote literally "limp" it to a dealership on the highway.. the second time we were going to Rhode Island and about 45 minutes into the trip the transmission was whining louder than it ever has, transmission light popped on and I lost total power in the left most lane on the highway.

Waiting for the dealership to have a chance to actually take a look at my vehicle and get back to me but I have also brought it in numerous times for the whining and every time I get "no code / can't reproduce" or "tech took it for a drive it's normal" this car has been the most unreliable car I have ever owned and I'm honestly afraid to take this thing for any long trips.

Every time I bring it in I always get the run around or some excuse or they replaced this should fix it etc. I have been on these forums for a while and done some research but at this point I really don't know about this vehicle anymore.. when it died I had 2 codes; P0339 and U1401 looked both of them up but didn't find too much on them in general.

Figured I'd put my experience here as well and it should be noted that I have taken my Pat to 4 different dealerships and more or less get the same treatment at all of them. Coming from a Toyota Corolla and having received amazing customer service my experience of Chrysler or "FCA" has been far from exceptional. When I came in to drop my keys off for my vehicle since the dealership was closed when it was towed in I was literally asked if I needed help getting out of the vehicle into something else. I am already upside down on this thing since the trade in value has plummeted and I owe about double compared to what it's actually worth.

FYI it's a 2011 Jeep Patriot Latitude 4x4 69k on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
362 Posts

I live in Boston and currently as I type this my car is over at the dealership that I purchased the car from about 2 years ago. Long story short I've had all of the CVT issues that we all read about (whining, limp mode, power loss, etc.) Saturday night I was leaving work and not even 2 miles into my trip I was pushing the car a little to merge into a lane and the car jerked, CEL came on and I lost total power. I had the car towed to the dealership that I bought it from but usually don't have it serviced there after a few horrible experiences but it was the closest one that I could have it towed to for free with AAA.

This is not the first time this has occurred it has gone into limp mode before and I had to quote literally "limp" it to a dealership on the highway.. the second time we were going to Rhode Island and about 45 minutes into the trip the transmission was whining louder than it ever has, transmission light popped on and I lost total power in the left most lane on the highway.

Waiting for the dealership to have a chance to actually take a look at my vehicle and get back to me but I have also brought it in numerous times for the whining and every time I get "no code / can't reproduce" or "tech took it for a drive it's normal" this car has been the most unreliable car I have ever owned and I'm honestly afraid to take this thing for any long trips.

Every time I bring it in I always get the run around or some excuse or they replaced this should fix it etc. I have been on these forums for a while and done some research but at this point I really don't know about this vehicle anymore.. when it died I had 2 codes; P0339 and U1401 looked both of them up but didn't find too much on them in general.

Figured I'd put my experience here as well and it should be noted that I have taken my Pat to 4 different dealerships and more or less get the same treatment at all of them. Coming from a Toyota Corolla and having received amazing customer service my experience of Chrysler or "FCA" has been far from exceptional. When I came in to drop my keys off for my vehicle since the dealership was closed when it was towed in I was literally asked if I needed help getting out of the vehicle into something else. I am already upside down on this thing since the trade in value has plummeted and I owe about double compared to what it's actually worth.

I haven't read all of your posts. Have you had the transmission fully serviced? At 60k or 48mo a full service is required and in my case the whining has stopped. I had the service done at 55K. Never had any symptoms beyond the whining. Lots of posts about this if you have time to search through them. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Www.aliexpress.com
Www.derale.com

Derale offers electric fans as well, but the Jeep will kick in it's own fan when the coolant and tranny oil get warm. There are different external pump kits available, I went cheap because I didn't want to send a single penny on my Patriot until the transmission overheating was solved. Fittings are all 1/4 NPT except for the temperature switch. I used a metric hydraulic fitting (8L uses M16x1.5 threads, any fine thread M16 Nut would do as well. )

Here some more pictures of the plumbing I did. The pump is a 3.7gpm gear drive pump
The old pump was ok at first but later wasn't able to deal with the temperature one the oil was hot. And only 35 bucks from china. So I replaced it. 3.7gpm is way too much capacity. Once the jeep is on it will start pulling air. I'll have to find a 1.5 or 1 gpm oil pump. But added cooling helps keeping the tranny temp in check.

·
Registered
30 Posts

The dealerships in the Boston area are terrible. I brought mine into one today in the Medford (I won't blast them here, but it's not hard to figure out which dealer) for a CVT fluid AND filter CHANGE on my 2012 that has just over 60k. I asked at least 3 times during the initial write up if they were doing a fluid CHANGE and not a flush and I reiterated that the filter must be changed as well. Come in to drop off the vehicle today and reiterate again, I get a call a few hours later to say it was done.

Well when I get the write-up it says right on it that they flushed it and they try giving me the run around about the filter. Finally the tech comes out and says he won't do it because it'll cost me "thousands of dollars" just to change the filter and it's a lifetime filter anyway. I told him it was maybe a $20 part with a few bolts to loosen so I'm not sure where he got the number. In the end, I walked away because flushing all the fluid isn't that bad either and I was only doing this for my own peace of mind. I'll just do a change myself next time around at 100k or when issues arise since I'm confident nobody is going to do it right. At least I'll be working with all new fluid until then. It's pathetic that I find myself more qualified than a Jeep dealer's mechanic.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've changed my own CVT fluid and filter twice, the second time I put on a pan with a drain plug so I can do a drain and fill instead.

The filter/strainer in the pan area cost about $20 and is attached with 3 bolts accessible once you have the pan removed.

At 84K, my filter/strainer didn't appear to be dirty but I changed it anyway.

Total cost for me to change the fluid, filter/strainer and pan gasket was around $100 and took about 2 hours to do, mainly because I had to drain the fluid slowly so as to avoid getting it all over my driveway.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've changed my own CVT fluid and filter twice, the second time I put on a pan with a drain plug so I can do a drain and fill instead.

The filter/strainer in the pan area cost about $20 and is attached with 3 bolts accessible once you have the pan removed.

At 84K, my filter/strainer didn't appear to be dirty but I changed it anyway.

Total cost for me to change the fluid, filter/strainer and pan gasket was around $100 and took about 2 hours to do, mainly because I had to drain the fluid slowly so as to avoid getting it all over my driveway.
Forgot to mention, my dealership quoted me $600 to do this!

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,045 Posts
Finally the tech comes out and says he won't do it because it'll cost me "thousands of dollars" just to change the filter and it's a lifetime filter anyway. I told him it was maybe a $20 part with a few bolts to loosen so I'm not sure where he got the number.
Maybe a year ago (I forget the exact date) my dealership caught a tranny leak and offered to fix it under my lifetime warranty. Since FCA was paying the tab I said "go ahead." A little later the service writer came out and offered to change the tranny filter while they were in there for "another $50." Again, I had them do it.

So how does your dealer figure it would cost "thousands of dollars" if 70 miles away they can do it for an additional $50? Agreed, CVT service is more expensive than a conventional automatic, but if you're in the 'thousands' territory, they're trying to screw you.

On the bright side they could have told you they did it and how would you ever know?

When will the automakers realize that cheating dealers are the clay feet of the auto business. They spend millions of $$ to sell vehicles, then a cheating dealer can send their customers elsewhere? If you've been to four different dealers and they're all that way, I've got to think FCA will be seeing a downturn in sales in that area.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Maybe a year ago (I forget the exact date) my dealership caught a tranny leak and offered to fix it under my lifetime warranty. Since FCA was paying the tab I said "go ahead." A little later the service writer came out and offered to change the tranny filter while they were in there for "another $50." Again, I had them do it.

So how does your dealer figure it would cost "thousands of dollars" if 70 miles away they can do it for an additional $50? Agreed, CVT service is more expensive than a conventional automatic, but if you in the 'thousands' territory, they're trying to screw you.

On the bright side they could have told you they did it and how would you ever know?

When will the automakers realize that cheating dealers are the clay feed of the auto business. They spend millions of $$ to sell vehicles, then a cheating dealer can send their customers elsewhere? If you've been to four different dealers and they're all that way, I've got to think FCA will be seeing a downturn in sales in that area.

I think he was honestly just trying to come up with an excuse for why he didn't do what was asked. When he realized I knew what I was talking about he sort of got weasel-y about it. I really did just figure I'll cut my loss on it since all new fluid isn't the end of the world either but it still wasn't a great experience.

I haven't personally been to 4 dealers (might have been OP) but I have been to 2 around here and both were shady. The one in Woburn let me test drive a used Patriot and the CVT literally went into limp mode during the test drive...the guy was embarrassed and had no clue. I had to explain to the sales guy what happened. Isn't it their job to know these things inside and out? Not mine?

I've noticed the Boston area is full of soccer moms and yuppies buying Wrangler and Cherokee mall-crawlers. Not knocking that demographic, I just think that they keep shoddy dealers in business whether the service is good or not.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think he was honestly just trying to come up with an excuse for why he didn't do what was asked. When he realized I knew what I was talking about he sort of got weasel-y about it. I really did just figure I'll cut my loss on it since all new fluid isn't the end of the world either but it still wasn't a great experience.

I haven't personally been to 4 dealers (might have been OP) but I have been to 2 around here and both were shady. The one in Woburn let me test drive a used Patriot and the CVT literally went into limp mode during the test drive...the guy was embarrassed and had no clue. I had to explain to the sales guy what happened. Isn't it their job to know these things inside and out? Not mine?

I've noticed the Boston area is full of soccer moms and yuppies buying Wrangler and Cherokee mall-crawlers. Not knocking that demographic, I just think that they keep shoddy dealers in business whether the service is good or not.
I'm sure FCA is aware of the problems with the CVT transmission. They don't use them anymore. And there is only a few people having overheating issues. Short distances and city driving is ok. Long distances at speeds around 120kph and there is too much heat generated and the cooling can't keep up. Further the thermostat works as a heating mechanism as well, to heat up the oil in cold weather. The thermostat is faulty in my opinion because it will fail to open after some time which adds to the cooling issue. Nissan isn't exempt from these problems if you lookup CVT's overheating on Nissan or other manufactures forums who use Jatco CVTs. Nissan might have a better cooling system than jeep. I didn't find the cooler bypass with thermostat on any Nissan parts list like Jeep uses it. But the next generation CVT seems to be taking the internal heat generation into account. There was a schematic in some earlier posts. My fluid level is on the lowest mark. Plus I have additional cooling if required and my thermostat is replaced with an aftermarket external thermostat. I'll drive the car until it does on me. I find it embarrassing the a 7 year old car is worth only 4000 bucks (if you buy a new car in the dealer lot), so might as well keep it and do regular maintenance and get the most out of it. I like the Patriot and how it drives on icy roads, gas mileage is not bad and not a bad car in general but from $28k to nothing in 7 years is not ok. Even a Ford would be worth more. Hahahaha, just joking.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,815 Posts
Soccer moms who want either a non-Cherokee just because it has the badge(the "it has the badge, it's a Jeep" arguement went out the window in late 2013), or "I want a Wrangler but I'm never gonna fold the windshield, go off-road, remove the doors or top, or even roll the windows down, I just like the look but I need more room"....all that worries me, because FCA's posturing to that may help sales, but it's killing the brand's legacy and alienating their core group of customers. Wranglers are two-door old-school wheelers, and anybody that wants something different is literally the reason every single non-Wrangler Jeep exists, including our Patriots.

That said, I've never experienced whining or anything like that from my CVT, even when taking it on 400+ mile trips. When the fluid was changed too late for how hard I was on the transmission, that's when it started slipping, like the fluid change uncovered the fact I should have gotten it done sooner. But it never whined, just slipped a bit, for 15,000 miles before it snapped.

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,045 Posts
We may be off subject here, but I agree that a lot of Jeeps are sold for non-Jeep reasons. Many people buy a Jeep who are actually looking for a battle tank. Consider the oversized SUVs on the road. Those people want to feel invincible, bigger than everyone else, and like they'll never get stuck. I saw a commercial a few years ago with some guy sitting in a diner acting like a trucker. One of the 'other' truckers sitting at the counter asked what he was hauling and he said "sporting goods." In reality he was taking the family camping. If they'd asked him who he drove for, he'd have to say his wife. :D

All around, vehicles have gotten bigger in recent years. I was driving a full-sized van from work a few years ago and came upon an antique greyhound silversides -- I was sitting about the same height as the driver in what was once considered an enormous vehicle. And that van was no where near the size of some of the new SUVs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The dealerships in the Boston area are terrible. I brought mine into one today in the Medford (I won't blast them here, but it's not hard to figure out which dealer) for a CVT fluid AND filter CHANGE on my 2012 that has just over 60k. I asked at least 3 times during the initial write up if they were doing a fluid CHANGE and not a flush and I reiterated that the filter must be changed as well. Come in to drop off the vehicle today and reiterate again, I get a call a few hours later to say it was done.

Well when I get the write-up it says right on it that they flushed it and they try giving me the run around about the filter. Finally the tech comes out and says he won't do it because it'll cost me "thousands of dollars" just to change the filter and it's a lifetime filter anyway. I told him it was maybe a $20 part with a few bolts to loosen so I'm not sure where he got the number. In the end, I walked away because flushing all the fluid isn't that bad either and I was only doing this for my own peace of mind. I'll just do a change myself next time around at 100k or when issues arise since I'm confident nobody is going to do it right. At least I'll be working with all new fluid until then. It's pathetic that I find myself more qualified than a Jeep dealer's mechanic.

Never saw this as I haven’t been on here in a bit. I no longer have the patriot after it almost killed me on the highway. Back to Toyota and couldn’t be happier. I know not all of the riots are like this it’s just pathetic that a good chunk of them were. No dealership helped me with any of the issues and because of this I will not return to FCA in the future. I went back to what I know and I have to say that the customer service is night and day compared to what I have dealt with in the 2+ years of owning the Jeep.

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
186,000 mile and getting ready to do second oil change on cvt. In my eyes, been abusd by my kids overloading trailers and hauling 4wheekers. Average drive during the week is around 30 min, on the weekend around 3 hours. No problems yet. Just bought a '16 6spd auto (now I have 2), not comfortable with the shifting feels over reved at times, shouldabought a cvt?

·
Registered
1 Posts
chris, that is EXACTLY the sound! And it was my alternator not the tranny.

Odd, very odd.

Hey,

My 2010 Jeep Patriot Sport turned over 100,000 and started to make a whine noise under load but not at idle. I have a video of my Jeep noise any idea what it could be. Jeep has no engine/transmission light on. The post won't let me post the link. Could text or email it .

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,045 Posts
Hey,

My 2010 Jeep Patriot Sport turned over 100,000 and started to make a whine noise under load but not at idle. I have a video of my Jeep noise any idea what it could be. Jeep has no engine/transmission light on. The post won't let me post the link. Could text or email it .
Welcome to the site Jjschlot! Glad to have you on (the) board. :)

Yeah, you can't post photos and links until you've made a few posts. Its not a lot -- maybe 5 or 10. Not sure why that is.

I don't like the sound your CVT is making. Mine made a humming noise just before it failed at 110,000 miles.

It's probably too late, but when did you last change out the CVT fluid & filter? The manual says its a 100,000 miles interval, but frankly THE MANUAL IS WRONG! 50,000 is a better interval if you plan on making it last. As I said, it may be too late for you.

IMHO, since FCA gave bad advice in their manuals they should pick up some of the cost for people who trusted them. In my case it was covered under my lifetime warranty so they paid the price for their faulty instructions. Having learned my lesson I've changed the fluid every 50,000 miles since.

If you find that your CVT has failed, your Patriot is way to early to dump. I'd suggest getting a rebuilt tranny. Don't get a junkyard tranny because who knows how the previous owner treated it? You may be putting out the bucks for a tranny that will die in another 10,000 miles. Get a rebuilt and it should go the distance. I've got 150,000 on my replacement tranny with no problems.

Finally, please drop by the Newbie threads and introduce yourself to the others. Helpful bunch on here.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Hey,

Hey,

Hey jschlot. Welcome. I have a 2012 and at about 50K my CVT began whining during warmer weather during highway driving. I asked the dealer to look into it and got nowhere. They even kept the vehicle for 3 months, with a loaner, and found nothing. I did ask them to do a trans service and all they did was change out a couple of qts of fluid. I wanted a full service but they either ignored me or I wasn't clear. After reading everything I could on this site it became apparent that something was not right as it was happening to other members also. It got worse over the next summer. Again got nowhere with them. So at 58K I went to the owners manual and saw that it called for a service at 64K or 48 months but this was for heavy duty use, taxi, police, towing, etc. The actual service under normal use is suggested at 120K or 96 months. Since my Pat was over the 48 months I took it in for that service and insisted they do a FULL cvt service. So far so good as I went through this past summer with no whining. I don't do any towing but I do drive it hard so YMMV.

If you search this forum for CVT issues you will find a lot of info. I think it was member Sandstone that found that Nissan, who uses this same transmission in some of their cars, found a design flaw and had the manufacturer JATCO redesign their CVT for them. It seems that the old design put the bottom pulley of the drive belt to low and it was actually sitting in the sump and mixing air into the fluid causing premature overheating. I guess FCA decided to eliminate it instead of a redesign.

Ignatz's advice is spot on, though I'm not sure if the service intervals he stated apply to your 2010 as he has an older Pat. It's moot anyway. I will not be going over 50K without a full trans service going forward and strongly suggest you do the same. Best of luck.:wink2:

121 - 140 of 161 Posts