Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Jeep Compass with only 12,000 miles on it. Everyone with this CVT Transmission problem needs to call Chrysler Customer Service 1 800 334 9200 and report it, as CVT Transmission overheats, slows down, High RPM, and high pitch noise. The more we call the more they will look into it. Also ask them if there has been any others with similar problems on their computer, if they say no, they are lying. Tell them to look into the last 8 VIN number
CD588748 , which is my vehicle, and then ask them why they are lying? We need to all come together on this. If you called Chrysler please also post your last 8 of your VIN, or a reference # where we can all tell Chrysler to look at these when they say there is no other complaints on this, in which I know they are lying, because there are youtube videos and forum complaints. Now you know why they are replacing them on the 2014 models.

If anyone has fixed this through the dealer or by calling Chrysler, please post any and all information so we can all reference off of it. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
with 12k miles, cvt problem should be covered under basic 36k warranty,
have you taken it in?
diagnosis?
warranty status?
before going corporate, should go through dealer,
as much as i dont like dealers, they are your first step,
and if have a problem with dealer then should try going corporate,
no point in bypassing dealer and going straight to corporate.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
The whining could be the Alternator AOD pulley, or the PTU unit as well. It may not necessarily be the CVT. As evidenced by the members on this forum, CVT failure is very very low. Now there have been reports of bad CVT fluid thermostats on 2010 and newer models (some late 2009 as well) which allows the fluid to overheat and foam. We haven't really gotten good confirmation on these being repaired though.

Also, they are likely replacing the CVT with a traditional automatic simply because they got a better deal from the one supplier over the other.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I get the high RPM's now if I drive for a while on the highway. The dealer hasn't been able to replicate it. My RPM's skyrocket as I shift from Drive to Park. It was real bad a few weeks ago after a long trip, and my RPM's were high no matter what I did (until a few days went by).

I got the PCM flashed, and it hasn't happened anymore, although I think it slightly jumped once. Dealer can't replicate it like I said and it's too hard for me to make it happen on command.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Disappointed

I was driving my 09 Patriot and the truck would only go 45 miles per hour, RPM hand went up between the five and six, and making a whining sound. Has anyone had this issue and what was done to correct it..

·
Registered
1 Posts
CVT overheats (2014)

This continues to be an issue for the Patriot. I have a 2104 patriot with 16,000 miles and have had this issue on 3 separate trips. Same symptoms as others. Temp light comes on, speed drops, tach increases, and transmission screams. It happens after 3-5 hours of freeway driving. I have brought this to the dealer all three times. They look at it for 1/2 hour, run diagnostics, find no fault codes, and tell me there is nothing they can do. I opened a case with Chrysler after the 2nd dealer told me there was no problem and that Chrysler would allow them to expend anymore resources diagnosing a problem that didn't expect to reproduce. Each service manager makes up some explanation which is a mix of bad assumptions and pure fiction. I am getting a little tired of being treated like an idiot simply because they can not spend the time to find the root cause of the problem. The case manager scheduled the local dealer to have a recorder installed in the vehicle. Dropped it off in the morning as asked, verifying the expected installation. When I picked the suv up at the end of the day, the service manager once again told me they ran diagnostics and found no problem and when asked about the installation of the recorder, he said that the dealership doesn't have one, and since the computers record everything, he didn't understand why Chrysler would order one. 'You killing me Smalls" I'll keep pressing this and will not let the case close until it is resolved. I would like to regain my confidence that I can take this vehicle on road trips and get where I'm going without delays to let the tranny cool.

·
2012 POTY
6,148 Posts
You can now file for Lemon since three times they weren't able to fix the same problem. Based on the previous comments from other members, your CVT fluid is now toast. Until you replace the fluid and change CVT filter and gasket, maybe even a transmission thermostat, you're going to continue experiense the same problem.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The whining could be the Alternator AOD pulley, or the PTU unit as well. It may not necessarily be the CVT. As evidenced by the members on this forum, CVT failure is very very low. Now there have been reports of bad CVT fluid thermostats on 2010 and newer models (some late 2009 as well) which allows the fluid to overheat and foam. We haven't really gotten good confirmation on these being repaired though.

Also, they are likely replacing the CVT with a traditional automatic simply because they got a better deal from the one supplier over the other.
problem is definitely the CVT; there's a 15 page thread about this JF011E CVT on Nissan boards and copious threads about whining, overheating, and the like; so much so that you could write a book about it!

The whine comes from the failure of the Koho bearings on the transfer gear as a result of a lack of lubrication. The noise gets louder until the debris from the bearings fills the filter reducing the fluid pressure producing a P700 or P777 code giving you limp mode.

Until then, it will whine, it will redline easily, frequently, and stay red lined like the gearing is off, and gas mileage will suffer. Nissan at least extended the powertrain warranty to 200k on some make/models affected. And safe to assume that since Chrysler moved away from this model in 2014, they weren't digging the complaints and warranty work.

My 2011 is at the dealer now at only 36k miles. I'm hoping they don't try to get me to kick the can because this sheet is ridiculous enough at 36k. Maybe there was a revision to the CVT, I HOPE!

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
There is a video that I saw, maybe here or possibly YouTube, that has the sound of the classic Patriot CVT whine that precedes a problem. My O8 was making that exact noise. Took it to dealer to have the trans checked, problem was alternator! So both sounds are apparently similar or the same.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Weird I know for me the sound triggers when i hit the gas hard when the car has been running for a while especially on hills. From the post I made on here about it everyone was saying it was the CVT. I have also browsed youtube a bit and it seems other cars like nissans w/ a cvt make the same noise.

·
Registered
71 Posts
There is a video that I saw, maybe here or possibly YouTube, that has the sound of the classic Patriot CVT whine that precedes a problem. My O8 was making that exact noise. Took it to dealer to have the trans checked, problem was alternator! So both sounds are apparently similar or the same.

Just my two cents.
By and large, not an alternator problem, but transmission overheating problem. If you had alternator problem, likely constant and not related to terrain, heat, or duration of travel like the CVT issue. Jeep should retrofit all models affected w/ a transmission cooler; would probably save them a pretty penny on replacing CVT kits.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Weird I know for me the sound triggers when i hit the gas hard when the car has been running for a while especially on hills. From the post I made on here about it everyone was saying it was the CVT. I have also browsed youtube a bit and it seems other cars like nissans w/ a cvt make the same noise.
many models have JF011E.

there's a good one of a 2012 Jeep Compass on youtube. Dodge Calibers too, same CVT - same problem.

Nissan even (partly) addressing issues on a macro scale here:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/12/nissan-pushes-jatco-to-resolve-cvt-issues/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Still no fix for the CVT overheat problem?

Perhaps I'm not reading far enough into the multiple threads on this issue, but I have seen a lot of complaints but few fixes.

Flush, replacement filter and refill did not help my 2012. It overheated 4 times last summer. The first overheating was the summer after I purchased it, August 2012, with less than 20k on it!

I spoke with a reputable dealer rep today and learned that they are aware of the problem. Their fix is to install a larger transmission cooler, flush, replace the filter and fill the transmission. If necessary they replace the transmission as well.

The Mopar parts manual also shows two transmission fluid bypass valves (thermostats). One is the square box like one with four inlet/outlets on the driver's side of the radiator. The second is a round one, also with four inlet/outlets located on the transmission itself. My dealer rep wasn't aware of the transmission mounted valve.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I spoke with a reputable dealer rep today and learned that they are aware of the problem. Their fix is to install a larger transmission cooler, flush, replace the filter and fill the transmission. If necessary they replace the transmission as well.
Here we go agian. My wife just called me on the side of the road same exact exit she gets off at when the CVT in the Patriot overheats. Every summer. Starts with the chattering, then the whining screaming followed by the light coming on and shes going 55 in a 75... I need more details like a TSB # or something if this is true. Im going straight to the service manager, after a call to Chrysler.

·
Registered
520 Posts
This happened to me yesterday when driving up North to Flagstaff.
I had to pull over in Black Canyon City after a 45 minute drive to let it cool down.

I stopped at a shop and the mechanic who was working on a Wrangler had a smirk on his face when explaining my options,
option #1: get rid of the POS ... option #2: instal a transmission cooler. He did advice me to let cool down and that I would be fine.

This is the second time someone has laugh at our Patriot. The first time was 2 weeks ago when I got stuck on soft sand,
the tow truck driver had a smirk and said that the Patriot was no better than his Honda LOL.

Yesterdays temp in Phx reached 96, hottest day of the year thus far and it's only going to get hotter.
Summers here avg 105 with heat waves that make it even hotter, 2 years ago we experienced 118 for a day.

I am now looking into installing a transmission cooler.
Any tips or advice on where to go get one installed?

·
Premium Member
4,222 Posts
We already have a transmission cooler.
Pre-2010 or 2009 it was an external cooler, after it became an internal, integrated one.

Climb under and you can see the lines going from the transmission to the radiator.

Now I'm no expert at all, this was a product of my oil cooler install research and my friend, the auto tech, showing me things as we were under there...so take this as what it is.

But there is a factory cooler in the CVT Patriots.

Now...is your coolant up to snuff and/or are the various thermostats working properly to circulate coolant to the transmission? Checking the coolant is easy, getting the operation of the trans cooler thermostats checked out properly might take a bit if digging and pushing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
This issue has been going on since the car had 600 miles. Its common enough and has nothing to do with maintenance. Its an assembly issue, batch of bad parts, or deseign flaw that doesnt effect every patriot out there. Btw mine has only 16000 miles and Unfortuneatly its getting worse. I have an old thread asking about this issue, one of the repliers to my thread eventually got rid of his patriot and he described the progression of this problem in detail.
Is anyone aware of a TSB or has any proof that Chrysler is accepting this? It would be of value since it is impossible to get the dealer to reproduce, or even listen.

·
Registered
48 Posts
After a lengthy call to Chrysler Ive opnened a case, but the vehicle needs to be at a dealership for them to move forward. She said there is no TSBs or customer satisfaction complaints regarding this issue. This exact complaint is all over the net so I find it hard to belive this isnt a documented issue but who knows what the 1st step phone call reps actually have access too. As expected the rep was overly helpful and a good listener. doesnt fix my issues tho.

1 - 20 of 161 Posts