Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a search but I havent seen any posts regarding the CVT fluid and filter change. Is it just a straightforward remove pan, fluid and filter and put the new filter and gasket in and fill her up?

·
Aussie Patriot Legend
996 Posts
to retain the lifetime warranty get a dealer to do it, the fluid is expensive and you need special tools aswell, this is one job that is a dealership must do

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had thought the fluid and filter needed to be changed at 36000 miles but I looked again and it says 60k. Should I really wait that long?

·
Registered
177 Posts
60k is the sever service interval, the "regular service" interval is 120k miles. The fluid costs in excess of $20 a quart and it will take 8-9 quarts.

From looking at the service manual the actual process is just like any other automatic. Drop the pan, change the filter, install new pan gasket and refill. It is the refilling that is the rub- there is not a dipstick for the transmission- instead a special tool (essentially a graduated wire cable with a handle) is used, the temperature of the fluid is measured and then a table in the service manual is consulted that tells at what mark on the tool the fluid should be at.

Me, I plan to have a dealership take care of this service when the time comes.

·
Aussie Patriot Legend
996 Posts
i agree, i had mine done but i do extreme traveling, best left to dealers as not worth the possible grief doing it youre self

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
You can use the oil dipstick. When I first brought my Pat home, I noticed no trans dipstick. So I pulled the oil dip stick, wiped it clean then inserted it fully into the CVT fill/check tube. The oil level read at the one quart low mark on the oil dip stick. Doesn't tell me if it's full or low or anything, but at least I know it's at the same level as it was delivered to me.

·
Registered
304 Posts
My HHR has no dipstick. Not even a place to stick the oil dipstick. The manual says the only way fluid can escape is thru a leak. Nothing on the ground? You ain't got a leak. Don't worry about it. But the dealer couldn't tell me how he knew the fluid was OK on delivery. Good test for a quick oil change place's honesty. Ask how the trans fluid level was.

·
POTM Winner AUG. 09.
4,679 Posts
The CVT Trans is not a User Servicable part!! It is basically a sealed for life Unit. The fluid level is checkable , using special Depth/Temp euipment , by the dealer. The special fluid, whitch contains rubber granuels for belt adhesion, has its fist Check & change at 60.000 miles.As this system works under amazingly high pressure to actuate the belt/pully system. Its not a system I would attempt to do myself!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
So has anyone hit the 60k mark yet, i wanna know how much the fluid change is gonna cost. And has anybody changed the fluid in your diffs yet. How involved is that if so. I have looked a t them and afraid it may be a dealer service as well

·
Registered
15 Posts
CVT fluid change

I was told $250 for trans fluid change. The same dealer said they would sell me the mopar trans fluid at a discounted price of $18 per quart since they had lost their Jeep dealership because of the bankruptcy and reorganization of Chrysler.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I've heard you can get Nissan CVT fluid for the Rogue for $15 a quart at the Nissan dealer. That might save a little money over the Chrysler stuff considering Nissan owns the company that made the transmission.

·
Registered
219 Posts
So has anyone hit the 60k mark yet, i wanna know how much the fluid change is gonna cost. And has anybody changed the fluid in your diffs yet. How involved is that if so. I have looked a t them and afraid it may be a dealer service as well
Changing the differential fluid is easy (it takes standard gear oil) and most independent garages can do it quickly and cheaply. I can't remember what my mechanic charged but it was pretty nominal.

I have about 80,000 miles and am waiting until somewhere between 100,000 - 120,000 miles to change the CVT fluid. I called several dealers and they want between $250 - $300 to change it (it goes for $18/quart).

I have the Lifetime Warranty and am operating under the normal maintenance schedule. If anything happens, I'm hoping that my local dealer will have my back in terms of warranty claims -- I've bought several cars from them and given them several thousand of dollars in maintenance.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Update, as a aircraft mechanic and former ASE certified mechanic I will tell you everything above is typical internet garbage from those who post nonsense about things they do not understand. Napa has the dipstick 605-1677 @ under $25. It comes with a chart as the fluid level is temp dependent. They also have the filter and gasket NAPA Part #1-5510. It is straight forward transmission filter change, be sure to wipe out pan and clean the 2 magnets thoroughly. Valvoline makes a Full synthetic CVT fluid that is CVTF4 chrysler compatible. Part #804751. I recommend changing before 100K miles as it already dirty (very black) by then and then every 50K miles as much fluid remains in trans during drain. The owners manual recommends 60K for severe duty and 120K miles normal service. This applies to 2007-2011 Patriot with CVT transmission. The fluid required will depend on how hot trans was when drained and how long it drained. Most require under 7qts but I would have a 8th around just in case. Add 5qts and then check, add, check until in middle of zone. Any dipstick that touches the bottom will also do as it is measured in millimeters and one could scribe the back of the oil dipstick so you always have it with you. Measured from bottom of stick 32mm works from 50F to 170 F. It would be the high mark @ 50F and the low @ 170F. 28mm to 36mm works from 70F to 125F trans fluid temp with low for 70F and high for 125F. I posted more details here: http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97981

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Update, as a aircraft mechanic and former ASE certified mechanic I will tell you everything above is typical internet garbage from those who post nonsense about things they do not understand. Napa has the dipstick 605-1677 @ under $25. It comes with a chart as the fluid level is temp dependent. They also have the filter and gasket NAPA Part #1-5510. It is straight forward transmission filter change, be sure to wipe out pan and clean the 2 magnets thoroughly. Valvoline makes a Full synthetic CVT fluid that is CVTF4 chrysler compatible. Part #804751. I recommend changing before 100K miles as it already dirty (very black) by then and then every 50K miles as much fluid remains in trans during drain. The owners manual recommends 60K for severe duty and 120K miles normal service. This applies to 2007-2011 Patriot with CVT transmission. The fluid required will depend on how hot trans was when drained and how long it drained. Most require under 7qts but I would have a 8th around just in case. Add 5qts and then check, add, check until in middle of zone. Any dipstick that touches the bottom will also do as it is measured in millimeters and one could scribe the back of the oil dipstick so you always have it with you. Measured from bottom of stick 32mm works from 50F to 170 F. It would be the high mark @ 50F and the low @ 170F. 28mm to 36mm works from 70F to 125F trans fluid temp with low for 70F and high for 125F. I posted a more details on another post here. Use search.
All well and good...however for those of us with lifetime warranties, it makes sense to take it to dealer--it's about $400, then you know there will be no problem with warranty coverage. I too, am a former A & P, so I know high-tech mechanical devices--ever rebuild a prop governor?--but somethings are just too iffy to try and save a few buck on, in my humble opinion...

·
Registered
40 Posts
:carryflag:
All well and good...however for those of us with lifetime warranties, it makes sense to take it to dealer--it's about $400, then you know there will be no problem with warranty coverage. I too, am a former A & P, so I know high-tech mechanical devices--ever rebuild a prop governor?--but somethings are just too iffy to try and save a few buck on, in my humble opinion...
Several on KC-130's and I actually pulled my back out installing one as they are quite heavy and slippery with hyd fluid. They are quite a marvel of engineering with all the valves and electronics in them and are much more complicated than the early prop controls used before that. Ever repaired an AWG-10B Radar? How about ran a GE 404 in the hush house or an T-56 on an engine stand? Have you ever removed a rotor from a CH-47D helicopter? Have you ever flown under Saddam's Sabers in a Blackhawk in Iraq? Have you ever been to Advanced Avionics and Radar school? How about T-56 school or KC-130 line school? Maybe a CH-47 line mech transition course? I can play this all day.

Not everyone has has $400 to blow. We could just drop the whole forum and say take it to the dealer. I know one auto dealer who owns many warbirds that treats his auto dealerships mechanics like crap with well below industry wages. I do not feel like supporting bums like that. Many smaller dealers will do it for around $200 if people take the time to call around. It is not for newbs but most anyone has successfully done previous transmission filters can figure it out. You will not void your warranty if you use the right fluid and filter and check the fill level. If you can rebuild a prop control surely this would be a breeze. :notworthy:

On another note thanks for your service, I spent 24 years serving with 9 years active in USMC and a few in the USMCR until cancer likely from my Radar days put me out for awhile. I then worked in a dealership as I had trained years earlier. I then joined the ANG to fight the war on terror after being out for 5 years as I was to old and fat for the USMC by then and there were no USMC squadrons within several hundred miles. The ANG bureau looked at my experience and gave me a paper MOS on Blackhawks. I jumped to the next deploying unit and fought to go to CH-47 school. They wanted to save money and give me another paper MOS. Basically the Army said they could convert me to any Army Aviation Maintenance MOS. Yikes!!! The Marines would of required school or so many months of OJT.

I am a Life Member of the MCL, VFW, DAV, NRA and used to belong to the Legion but they are to fat with their outrageous life membership and annual dues. They wonder why many younger vets are not joining, well that's is part of it along with some 18 month wonders talking down to guys who have several years of combat duty under their belt. They complained how the WW II vets treated them but many do the same by acting like they are an exclusive club. The few remaining WW II vets actually treated me very decent but many are now gone.

The worst is the mouthy female bartenders who have horrible attitudes and keep their job by bootlicking or worse the House committee chairman or commander. Often reports of officers stealing from the vets club come about. Some become officers so they can brag about being one and feel they accomplished something in their life without much dedication to the position. What about selfless service?

Many are joining the DAV and Wounded Warrior Project so it is not that they all do not join. Some have very young families or are going to college and have limited time and funds so $40 a year is a barrier. I would make it $25 a year and $500 max for lifetime membership with any easy payment plan over 2 years. They have priced many veterans out of the Legion in my opinion. A change of attitude among many older vets needs to happen and a recognition that these newer vets are still learning how to adjust to civilian life after many deployments so they might not have the all the civilian social skills. I do notice many of the combat vets are more understanding and accepting as they have been down that road. Well enough off topic.:carryflag:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks

Scrolling through to get some questions answered, really appreciate all the helpful hints. Thanks Pheasant Pete and Todd. Jim Lefeber

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can use the oil dipstick. When I first brought my Pat home, I noticed no trans dipstick. So I pulled the oil dip stick, wiped it clean then inserted it fully into the CVT fill/check tube. The oil level read at the one quart low mark on the oil dip stick. Doesn't tell me if it's full or low or anything, but at least I know it's at the same level as it was delivered to me.
At what temperature did you perform this test. I have 2009 and my oil dipstick seems to be too short to reach the bottom of the transmission pan. I am assuming you did this when the engine completely cold.

·
Registered
193 Posts
At what temperature did you perform this test. I have 2009 and my oil dipstick seems to be too short to reach the bottom of the transmission pan. I am assuming you did this when the engine completely cold.
It is too short. I tried the oil dipstick on my 08 Compass and it seemed as though it didn't hit bottom (the yellow collar on top of the oil dipstick hit the tube). I just bought a universal dipstick from ebay (around $15) and did a measurement then compared side by side with the oil dipstick and the oil dipstick was lower.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts