Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so I had my 07 Patriot in for a CV axle seal change since it leaked a tiny bit of CVT fluid. Been keeping track on it for the last year or so, wasn't alarming but still wanted to get it fixed.

All done and the service place (not Jeep/Mopar cert.) measured the amount before and after with the dipstick (I provided them with, along with Mopar CVT Fluid) and topped it off accordingly. That is, added as much as they lost during the seal change.

I drove it to normal operating temp and back home, connected the DiagFCA ODB2 Chrysler software and read 72C transmission fluid temp (yes, software says atf temp). Measured once with the dipstick and it read just below 30mm on the stick. At least I thought it did so I poured in a little bit more... maybe 200ml in total. Took it for a drive now and checked again when I got back home, WTF it reads WAY overfilled. Attached pictures and it shows 65mm on the dip stick, that's even off the chart!?

Can it even be this overfilled or am I just doing something wrong here sticking the dipstick in until it bottoms out? I can't figure out how those approx 200ml could push it up 35mm on the dipstick. I hope I'm just not measuring it the right way, but not that many ways to do it wrong so I guess I'll have to drain a bit out... not wanting to start dropping the pan or anything mid freaking cold winter.

My questions I guess to those with more knowledge than me... can 200ml overfill it that much? Hate it, that it's so hard to "know" or figure out how much fluid correlates to certain amout on the dipstick measurement.

Maybe I could get a stiff thin hose down the tube attached to a small siphon and get just enough pulled out of the fill tube. Would you think it'd be possible? Then again, how much to siphon out if 200ml did that to the measurement?

Any help is much appreciated! No Jeep services around here so I'd hopefully be able to get this fixed myself without dropping the pan (since I do have acces to both the software for reading the temp and have the dipstick)

Photo 22.2.2021, 18.45.26.jpg Photo 22.2.2021, 18.40.10.jpg Photo 22.2.2021, 18.45.19.jpg

·
Registered
24 Posts
With a test drive the temperature of the oil probably went up, so it should read higher. The level needs to match with the temperature on the chart. If not, then it might be a little overfilled.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can't really help you with the 'how much' part. Mine was initially way overfilled when I bought it, took me like 5 or 6 times of removing/adding fluid to finally get it at the proper level.

I tried removing fluid through the fill tube, using a siphon pump specifically designed to remove oil through the oil fill tube. It wouldn't work... no idea why not.

I found the easiest way to remove fluid is simply through the drain plug on the left (vertical) side of the transmission. Because that plug is located pretty high up (way above the pan) the fluid comes out pretty slowly, so it's easy to quickly stop the flow by putting the plug back in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are you checking on a level surface, in Park, while it's running, after moving the shifter through each gear for 2 or 3 seconds? It reads higher with the engine off. I'm just checking, as I didn't know that when I was younger. My engine oil reads higher in my driveway than at work, which confused me for a minute, until I figured out I was on an incline.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts