Jeep Patriot Forums banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Patriot, North Ed.
287 Posts
The recommended maintenance fluid change interval for the 6 speed automatic is ridiculous and I had my local mechanic change the fluid at about 55,000 miles and it was cheap - he charged for the fluid and way less than an hour of labor. There was no temperature thingy to worry about and the Patriot runs just great.
I think the mechanic might not have done the fluid change than. The fluid is expensive to begin with. Second, yes you need to have it at very specific temp ranges for when you ensure the fluid level is correct. And third, the whole job is time consuming. I think he might have been banking on you not checking into it.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Getting off topic, but it's possible that his mechanic simply opened up the tranny drain plug, collected and measured that fluid, and then reinstalled the same amount of one of dozens of universal tranny fluid such as Valvoline Maxlife, which lists "suitable for" SP4M. This wrongly assumes the level was correct to start with.

There are now 2 methods to measure the temperature sensitive fluid level. The original factory service manual method involving a dipstick. FCA came out with another method using the overflow plug on the lower front of the tranny "pan" cover. This second method varies from Kia/Hyudai's method, I'm guessing because of mounting orientation differences of the manufacturers.

Chrysler did the right thing licensing ATF+4 at reasonable prices .... I wish they would do the same for SP4M.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys I'm Dan and just signed up. I have a 2012 4x4 Sport. I don't know if anyone has done this or is interested but thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone is wants more info on the topic. My CVT transmission went out at 112,000 miles. I have never been a fan of those and really felt it was one of the few things I didn't like about my Patriot. I figured an upgrade to a 6-speed "could" be done so I just went for it. I just got it back and I'm loving it. If anyone wants to know more I'd be happy to share any info and plan on putting a more detailed parts and process list.
Hey Dan, your god sent! The trans just went out in my 2012 Patriot @ 80k and I be can't bring myself to put another CVT in it.
I know you said you were going to put up a parts and process list, but I haven't been able to find it. How'd the swap work out, and can you sent me that info. (If possible) Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I typically do most of my own work as well. Unfortunately due to garage space (and I live in Chicago in the winter) and knowing up-front I wouldn't be able to do the computer aspect of this project the work was done by a shop. However it was by a mechanic I know personally and I was involved in every nut and bolt of this project. I did all the background research and tracking down and removing of parts on my own prior to starting this. If you can do the projects you described you can do this no problem. There were no issues in terms of mechanical difficulty. That was all pretty straight forward. The only problems arose with part compatibility in which cases I would have to go find another part; which in-turn would hold up the project.
Oo damn, Chicago? My guy! I'm from Chicago, if I do this swap I may have to ask you a few questions...

·
Super Moderator
5,221 Posts
Hey Dan, your god sent! The trans just went out in my 2012 Patriot @ 80k and I be can't bring myself to put another CVT in it.
I know you said you were going to put up a parts and process list, but I haven't been able to find it. How'd the swap work out, and can you sent me that info. (If possible) Thanks in advance!
The parts list/procedure is in post #28:

61 - 65 of 65 Posts