Jeep Patriot Forums banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
8,198 Posts
Danv2018, thanks for such an informative post! (#28) You kept excellent records. Thanks for sharing your knowledge -- I'm sure others will find it helpful.

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,098 Posts
I got the ratios wrong

6 Speed Auto = 3.367:1

FDI CVT = 6.12:1

FDII = 8.125:1

There are 3 different differentials used in the patriot/compass.

a FDII differential used from a wrecker generally is more expensive than the non FDII diffs. I purchased a spare FDII differential

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I got the ratios wrong

a FDII differential used from a wrecker generally is more expensive than the non FDII diffs. I purchased a spare FDII differential

Any ideas on what the part numbers are for this? Any info is appreciated. I did not change mine, but it doesn't seem to be an issue...... however I don't know if this will cause a future problem. If it's wrong i want to change it immediately.

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,098 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I got the ratios wrong

Any ideas on what the part numbers are for this? Any info is appreciated. I did not change mine, but it doesn't seem to be an issue...... however I don't know if this will cause a future problem. If it's wrong i want to change it immediately.
Thank you . Looking into this now.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Looks like the CVT market is growing. The 2019 Kia Forte will have a 6 speed manual or a CVT as the transmission choice. They claim to have improved it. I wonder if it will have a "nudge" feel to simulate a conventional automatic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
bonjour je vient acheter un patriot 2009 moteur 2.4 je me demande ci cet normal que lorsque je pese pour depasser sur kit danne ont peut dire que le rpm monte a 7ooo pres du rouge et la transmition ont dirais change pas met quand je lache gaz la a change merci pour réponse tu vrau cet une transmition comme stil skidoo lollll

·
Registered
23 Posts
I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW ALL DETAILS ! I HAVE A 07 COMPASS I PICKED UP WITH THE CVT SCATTERED
IN THE BACK . I JUST SCORED A 2014 6 SPEED WITH ONLY 50K MILES ON IT . I NEED ALL INFO ON THIS SWAP ! WIRING DIAGRAM ETC .

·
Super Moderator
5,221 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys I'm Dan and just signed up. I have a 2012 4x4 Sport. I don't know if anyone has done this or is interested but thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone is wants more info on the topic. My CVT transmission went out at 112,000 miles. I have never been a fan of those and really felt it was one of the few things I didn't like about my Patriot. I figured an upgrade to a 6-speed "could" be done so I just went for it. I just got it back and I'm loving it. If anyone wants to know more I'd be happy to share any info and plan on putting a more detailed parts and process list.
Hey what kind of transmission did you replace it with? My Patriot only has 30k miles and it's showing signs of failure. Was it a standard or automatic transmission?

·
Super Moderator
5,221 Posts
Hey what kind of transmission did you replace it with? My Patriot only has 30k miles and it's showing signs of failure. Was it a standard or automatic transmission?
He replaced the CVT with a 6 speed automatic from another Patriot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys I'm Dan and just signed up. I have a 2012 4x4 Sport. I don't know if anyone has done this or is interested but thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone is wants more info on the topic. My CVT transmission went out at 112,000 miles. I have never been a fan of those and really felt it was one of the few things I didn't like about my Patriot. I figured an upgrade to a 6-speed "could" be done so I just went for it. I just got it back and I'm loving it. If anyone wants to know more I'd be happy to share any info and plan on putting a more detailed parts and process list.
I really really need to know if you can make this change out and it was successful for you I need to put a transmission in my 2008 4 wheel drive sport and I have a 2014 2 wheel drive limited or latitude that I have to get rid of today due to money I was going to swap the 6 speed automatic 2 wheel drive cheats transmission with the CVT 2008 4 wheel drive even though it's two and four-wheel that shouldn't matter right thank you text me at --**** if you see this today

·
Super Moderator
5,221 Posts
I really really need to know if you can make this change out and it was successful for you I need to put a transmission in my 2008 4 wheel drive sport and I have a 2014 2 wheel drive limited or latitude that I have to get rid of today due to money I was going to swap the 6 speed automatic 2 wheel drive cheats transmission with the CVT 2008 4 wheel drive even though it's two and four-wheel that shouldn't matter right thank you text me at * if you see this today
Yes, it is possible and was successful however it is a lot of work. The OP hasn't been here in several months, so your best bet for contacting them would be via "conversations" or a PM as they used to be called.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks Rosso I deleted the other one. In response to your reply I don't agree that it's any less smooth; having driven both. Especially when you factor in the "stall" (or whatever it's called) when you take you foot off the gas after take-off in a CVT. You stated it was due to a maintenance issue however I had all the necessary fluid and filter changes and it still went out at 112k (with a great deal of highway miles. You also mentioned the CVT has a greater number of gear ratios. While this may be true I feel it is a moot point. The same car with the same set-up has a lower MPG rating with the CVT than the 6-speed so those extra ratios don't seem to be helping.
But to answer more simply the question of "why?" I simply feel the CVT is a less reliable transmission. And when faced with spending the same money or more to replace it than to swap to the 6-speed I opted for the latter. I know not everyone will agree but I just wanted to share in case others wanted to try it or other projects like it.
The CVT Does not have gears or gear ratios Brother. As rebuilding mine once and replacing Primary Pulley Seal & Secondaries Pulleys bearings in piston, then pulling again to replace the METAL drive belt that clutches smooth metal plates on the two pulleys. Piston setup on the two pulleys allow the metal belt to expand or shrink in girth to control the "ratio" calculated by Trans control module, est. by throttle variables ect and so on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can You let Me Know in Detail and Parts Needed How to Do This Trans Swap. Cut to Newer 6 Speed Automatic.

·
Super Moderator
5,221 Posts
Can You let Me Know in Detail and Parts Needed How to Do This Trans Swap. Cut to Newer 6 Speed Automatic.
The list of parts from the OP is here:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great info! When ours went out we simply repaired the CVT for 1/3 of what we paid for the vehicle used. I grumbled, but searching around I was told that a swap to a different trans wasn't possible. I love the CVT in the mountains, I am convinced it saves us fuel AND is a better device than an auto trans for such driving with a small engine, having driven both. BUT... our Trans shop (very experienced) swears up and down that these CVT's were horrid, prone to failure, and that the "new version" that is marketed is almost identical, and that there's a reason they were ousted for 6 speeds. He recommended we ditch the vehicle before this trans gets anywhere close to 160,000 Km. Having seen this thread, knowing it IS possible... I have to seriously start pushing my trans shop to find me a used 6 speed. And I've already printed off that VERY handy list of parts... thank you for the detail and the insight!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2016 Jeep Patriot Sport 5 speed and want to upgrade it to a 6 speed. Do you have any idea what the price would be?

41 - 60 of 65 Posts