Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I'm Dan and just signed up. I have a 2012 4x4 Sport. I don't know if anyone has done this or is interested but thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone is wants more info on the topic. My CVT transmission went out at 112,000 miles. I have never been a fan of those and really felt it was one of the few things I didn't like about my Patriot. I figured an upgrade to a 6-speed "could" be done so I just went for it. I just got it back and I'm loving it. If anyone wants to know more I'd be happy to share any info and plan on putting a more detailed parts and process list.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,558 Posts
Haha, no need for two threads saying the same thing in different forum areas, amigo. Makes the conversation a little confusing...because it's actually two conversations when there only needs to be one. The point I made in your other thread stands though.

·
Super Moderator
5,221 Posts
Haha, no need for two threads saying the same thing in different forum areas, amigo. Makes the conversation a little confusing...because it's actually two conversations when there only needs to be one. The point I made in your other thread stands though.
I had asked the OP to start a new thread on the trans swap project in the Engine and Drivetrain section as opposed to having it in the Intro section.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Rosso I deleted the other one. In response to your reply I don't agree that it's any less smooth; having driven both. Especially when you factor in the "stall" (or whatever it's called) when you take you foot off the gas after take-off in a CVT. You stated it was due to a maintenance issue however I had all the necessary fluid and filter changes and it still went out at 112k (with a great deal of highway miles. You also mentioned the CVT has a greater number of gear ratios. While this may be true I feel it is a moot point. The same car with the same set-up has a lower MPG rating with the CVT than the 6-speed so those extra ratios don't seem to be helping.
But to answer more simply the question of "why?" I simply feel the CVT is a less reliable transmission. And when faced with spending the same money or more to replace it than to swap to the 6-speed I opted for the latter. I know not everyone will agree but I just wanted to share in case others wanted to try it or other projects like it.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,558 Posts
Hrm. I think part of the reason the MPG numbers are rated better for the conventional transmission is two-fold. For one, the technology has been in widespread use in one form or another for roughly a hundred years, making it very well researched. Secondly, the limited number of ratios means the Hyundai toy gets jammed into 6th gear anywhere above probably 55-60mph, probably at juuust the right ratio(no doubt easily researched over the MK's first 7 years) to keep lower RPM than a CVT would have without working so hard as to be counterproductive. As for my statement that it was a maintenance issue, that was just an educated guess...Chrysler's "owners manual" says it's ok to change the fluid at 120,000 miles when 60,000 is the actual window. The technology hasn't been in any kind of mainstream use for as long as the conventional. Earliest example I can quote for sure is in 1993 when the top Formula 1 teams tried using such technology and it got banned before they could make it work above 80mph, because it'd be "too great an advantage". This would mean it's such a new type of transmission that many people, even plenty of mechanics I'm sure, aren't as familiar with it, which would easily cause issues that result in just throwing in a different transmission, bad reviews about the kind that failed, etc. And of course "I like to hear the revs rise and fall"...a familiarity complex that I'm familiar with myself. But the CVT, despite it being relatively new, is more than worth it. I get the feeling that the ridiculous maintenance interval, lack of proper research so far, lack of availability in anything more expensive than a Camry or Prius, and the "inevitable" swap to a comparatively ancient type of transmission may just be a big automakers' excuse to not actually research new working technology as well, for whatever reason. Maybe they make more profit off conventionals, maybe there's gearheads who consider the CVT to be automotive heresy running part of the show, maybe it's nothing. I have no proof of course, so there's no way to be sure, but I can't help but occasionally wonder. Especially with the way politicians are acting these days.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi guys I'm Dan and just signed up. I have a 2012 4x4 Sport. I don't know if anyone has done this or is interested but thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone is wants more info on the topic. My CVT transmission went out at 112,000 miles. I have never been a fan of those and really felt it was one of the few things I didn't like about my Patriot. I figured an upgrade to a 6-speed "could" be done so I just went for it. I just got it back and I'm loving it. If anyone wants to know more I'd be happy to share any info and plan on putting a more detailed parts and process list.
A shop did it or you tackled it at home? I plan to replace the junked CVT in my 12 and usually do these things myself. Just wondering how much trouble it was? In the last year I’ve done the clutch in my truck, swapped power stroke engine an transmission- tranny twice- all on the floor. I hate the floor. And Ford.

·
8,198 Posts
Ditto Rosso on the CVT maintenance. Its gotta be done at half the recommended interval. 50-60,000 is about right. My original CVT didn't make it to 120,000. It failed at 110,000 miles. That's the bad news. The good news is my new CVT has 160,000 miles on it and still running strong. I'm beyond hoping it makes it to 300,000, I'm now planning on it. Spending too much money elsewhere so I can't afford a new vehicle even if I need one. :(

·
Registered
833 Posts
The recommended maintenance fluid change interval for the 6 speed automatic is ridiculous and I had my local mechanic change the fluid at about 55,000 miles and it was cheap - he charged for the fluid and way less than an hour of labor. There was no temperature thingy to worry about and the Patriot runs just great.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys thanks for the comments. I want to clarify I'm not bashing anyone with a CVT. This was just my preference as I had, had mine serviced at 63k and it still only made it to 112k. Another reason is that if this 6-speed has future issues it can be rebuilt vs having to buy a whole new trans (as I was forced to do when my CVT died).

Basically, through my trials and tribulations I can provide a blueprint to make the switch to a 6-speed. One that I'm confident can be repeated to completely switch to a low-mile 6-speed automatic for less than $2,000; for those that want to do the work themselves. I am working on a write-up complete with part numbers that I hope to have completed tonight or tomorrow. Thank you for your time.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,558 Posts
Actually, a Chrysler dealer SAYS the CVT is a "sealed unit" because they have a replace-only contract with Nissan/JATCO. You can have Nissan dealer or independent mechanic rebuild it, do it yourself, or buy a remanufactured version for $2000-$3000 vs the $5000 for a new one. Or check junkyards. My replacement CVT was $1400 including freight to mechanic and a one-year warranty.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,221 Posts
Hey guys thanks for the comments. I want to clarify I'm not bashing anyone with a CVT. This was just my preference as I had, had mine serviced at 63k and it still only made it to 112k. Another reason is that if this 6-speed has future issues it can be rebuilt vs having to buy a whole new trans (as I was forced to do when my CVT died).

Basically, through my trials and tribulations I can provide a blueprint to make the switch to a 6-speed. One that I'm confident can be repeated to completely switch to a low-mile 6-speed automatic for less than $2,000; for those that want to do the work themselves. I am working on a write-up complete with part numbers that I hope to have completed tonight or tomorrow. Thank you for your time.
Thanks for all the effort, will be interesting to learn what it takes to make this kind of a modification work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually, a Chrysler dealer SAYS the CVT is a "sealed unit" because they have a replace-only contract with Nissan/JATCO. You can have Nissan dealer or independent mechanic rebuild it, do it yourself, or buy a remanufactured version for $2000-$3000 vs the $5000 for a new one. Or check junkyards. My replacement CVT was $1400 including freight to mechanic and a one-year warranty.

I understand that. Though not many places are familiar with repairing these. So options are limited and expensive as well. And I wasn't about to pay for a used version of the same transmission that just broke when properly maintained; for one that I couldn't verify it's history. Knowing that, that lack of maintenance is cause for failure. Nor would I ever pay dealer price to have transmission rebuilt. It would probably end up costing more than a new one lol.

Furthermore the price of the used 6-speed transmission is roughly 1/3-1/2 the price of the same CVT with about double the miles.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Dan, most people want a vehicle that works more than a vehicle that doesn't. I applaud you for making your vehicle work for you. I can't wait to read your write up.
CVT tech has now been around long enough for manufacturers and aftermarket suppliers and shops to get a grasp on it and it continues to flounder. Volvo, tried it in their large trucks, and quickly went away from it. All instances of CVT usage in heavy duty vehicles and equipment have either ended in failure, recall, or never even made it to market. There is a reason CVT's are only found in small, lightweight vehicles. The Patriot was a borderline application for the CVT, and eventually Chrysler also abandoned it in this platform. Moving to the 6 speed auto, and then their own 9 speed auto in new vehicles not using the GEMA drive train. Rosso can call the 6 speed auto ancient, a Hyundai toy, or whatever he wants. The bottom line is that Hyundai developed that trans as part of the GEMA program specifically for use with these engines. They have a much higher reliability rate than the CVT. And, have been used in similar platforms to our patriots (Mitsubishi Outlander) with larger more powerful engines (300HP V6).
I have a CVT equipped FDii, and wish the FDii was available with any other transmission. For me, the switch would mean losing utility that I paid a premium for. So, unfortunately a swap is out for me. But I think most people would rather get better reliability, better MPG, and better drive-ability given the choice. Having options is never a bad thing and demonstrated success of this kind has been rare for the Patriot.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
This is fantastic! We definitely need details on how this was done, parts that were swapped besides the transmission, cost, everything!

I don't even own a Patriot anymore, but I'm so excited to see someone put the effort into exploring what's possible with the platform. For years, people were unwilling to try things like this, because it was uncharted territory, and most of us bought the Patriot because we didn't have the budget to experiment with things like transmission swaps. Things like the ECU were huge stumbling blocks to tuning, and the lack of aftermarket support left us high and dry.

That it is even possible to swap to the 6-speed transmission in completely invaluable knowledge. Thank you for making the effort, and congrats on the success! I'm interested to see what went into getting you to this point, and I know others are as well.

I am dismayed that the thread has been hijacked and turned into the (very common 'round these parts) "CVT defense" thread by a certain member. A shame that your accomplishment gets trampled by someone who feels like it's his personal duty to evangelize the benefits of the CVT at every opportunity. Please don't feel like your hard work isn't appreciated here; it truly is.

So, spill the details!

·
Super Moderator
5,221 Posts
I have a CVT equipped FDii, and wish the FDii was available with any other transmission. For me, the switch would mean losing utility that I paid a premium for. So, unfortunately a swap is out for me.
Who knows, maybe not. Depends on if the PCM can be altered to add the off-road mode BLD's, and the ring and pinion can be changed to 8:11 or whatever the FDII has.

·
Super Moderator
5,221 Posts
I am dismayed that the thread has been hijacked and turned into the (very common 'round these parts) "CVT defense" thread by a certain member. A shame that your accomplishment gets trampled by someone who feels like it's his personal duty to evangelize the benefits of the CVT at every opportunity.
Agreed, the pros and cons of CVT vs 6AT have been discussed over and over and IMO doesn't need to be brought into this thread.

Depending on what the OP wants to do, this thread may get cleaned up or possibly another started but either way it needs to stay on topic.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,558 Posts
Hey, I'm hardly discounting the aftermarket potential of the Jeep, and I applaud the ingenuity. Just kinda saddened that it had to happen, yet again, at the expense of an option that far too few people see the viability and potential of.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Who knows, maybe not. Depends on if the PCM can be altered to add the off-road mode BLD's, and the ring and pinion can be changed to 8:11 or whatever the FDII has.
I wouldn't hold my breath. My thought is that the entire PCM is either flashed with new VIN info for a 6 speed auto vehicle or replaced all together. Both cases would lose FDii BLD's, and hill decent control. Although, If faced with replacing a blown CVT with another CVT or losing FDii BLD's and hill decent control, but getting a more reliable trans and still having FDi BLD's, I think it would be a tough decision. Honestly, at this point my 2014 has so many miles on it that it's not worth a 5,000 dollar repair bill. So, any mod like this would simply be done to keep me from having to start over with payments on another vehicle. I'll burn that bridge when I get to it.....

·
Registered
38 Posts
GREAT JOB !0:) Just remember if you do have a bug
it can be reprogrammed or over came by the ambition that
you show by under taking such a project !:nerd: I also have
this transmission and in my opinion a plate will grab better
than a band ! But then that's me !>:)

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,098 Posts
If you want FDII gearing you'll need a FDII rear end, not sure on the programming though, honestly its an awful lot of work for a marginal improvement in performance

1 - 20 of 65 Posts