Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
First time here, need some help/info/advice (and I hope you don't mind stupid questions:):)
2014 Pat , 4WD, with CVT/with Off-Rd Crawl , 137k
Transmission died on me when driving. Engine light came on. Had a couple of times transmission overheated light on before (last year).
I'm thinking of replacing it myself (junk yard tranny). My question is: can I swap my CVT with 6-speed auto (they are cheaper and I don't care to have CVT anyway, use my Pat for getting around town, local shopping, appointments etc).
Anybody did that kind of swap? Was it straightforward old out/new in?
I would appreciate any advice and/or comments.
Thank you!
Peter

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,454 Posts
Hi guys,
First time here, need some help/info/advice (and I hope you don't mind stupid questions:):)
Transmission died on me when driving. Engine light came on. Had a couple of times transmission overheated light on before (last year).
I'm thinking of replacing it myself (junk yard tranny). My question is: can I swap my CVT with 6-speed auto (they are cheaper and I don't care to have CVT anyway, use my Pat for getting around town, local shopping, appointments etc).
Thank you!
Peter
Hi Peter, welcome to the group. Sorry to hear about your problem. It's unfortunate that the manual is so misleading in regards to the CVT service interval. The CVT needs it's fluid and 2 filters replaced at least every 50-60k miles, and when that's not done, well... bad things happen to them. There is a thread one here (you can search for it in the "Search Community" box above, or maybe someone will drop a link to it) where someone did swap a 6 speed in place of their CVT. I don't think it was one with the FD2 package like yours though, and it definitely was not an easy swap. If I remember correctly, the TCU, some wiring, and a bunch of other stuff needed to be swapped too. So, it's probably possible, but unless you're going to do it yourself and have a lot of spare time on your hands, I really doubt it'll be worth it.

·
Administrator
8,545 Posts
Hi guys,
Thank you!
Peter

Hi Peter, unfortunately the 6 speed A/T won't swap directly into the FDII due to the FDII using different differential gearing.

Along with all the other things that would have to be changed, you'd have to re-gear the rear diff or replace it with one from the 6 speed AT donor vehicle.

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,535 Posts
Hi guys,
Thank you!
Peter
I would beware of a junkyard tranny. A failed CVT may be why a Patriot (or a Compass or a Caliber) is in the junkyard. Many CVTs didn't get the maintenance they needed because the suggested intevals in the owners manual are inadequate. A re-manufactured transmission should come with a decent warranty. Then do the maintenance twice as often as the owners manual says. It should take you the distance.

·
Administrator
8,545 Posts
@Peter P, Ignatz raises a good point on junk yard transmissions.

Furthermore, it has to be from another FDII (due to gearing) and not many were made. Finding a good donor ( low mileage, later year, accident not affecting transmission ) Patriot or FDII Compass might be hard to come by.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would beware of a junkyard tranny. A failed CVT may be why a Patriot (or a Compass or a Caliber) is in the junkyard. Many CVTs didn't get the maintenance they needed because the suggested intevals in the owners manual are inadequate. A re-manufactured transmission should come with a decent warranty. Then do the maintenance twice as often as the owners manual says. It should take you the distance.
Thank you Ignatz for your suggestion! Makes sense.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Furthermore, it has to be from another FDII (due to gearing) and not many were made. Finding a good donor ( low mileage, later year, accident not affecting transmission ) Patriot or FDII Compass might be hard to come by.

Hi Sandstone,
What's FDII?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Peter, welcome to the group. Sorry to hear about your problem. It's unfortunate that the manual is so misleading in regards to the CVT service interval. The CVT needs it's fluid and 2 filters replaced at least every 50-60k miles, and when that's not done, well... bad things happen to them. There is a thread one here (you can search for it in the "Search Community" box above, or maybe someone will drop a link to it) where someone did swap a 6 speed in place of their CVT. I don't think it was one with the FD2 package like yours though, and it definitely was not an easy swap. If I remember correctly, the TCU, some wiring, and a bunch of other stuff needed to be swapped too. So, it's probably possible, but unless you're going to do it yourself and have a lot of spare time on your hands, I really doubt it'll be worth it.
I understand FD2 package is CVT with crawl off road option. correct?
Yes, not so much free time on my hands to commit to the swap((
Thank you for your comments!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Peter, unfortunately the 6 speed A/T won't swap directly into the FDII due to the FDII using different differential gearing.

Along with all the other things that would have to be changed, you'd have to re-gear the rear diff or replace it with one from the 6 speed AT donor vehicle.
I'm reading all responses and getting clear pic of my options.
Thank you guys for your help!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great group!
Thank you for all your input!
Will update you all about the outcome. Unfortunately all is put aside since I broke my wrist (playing tennis!!) a month ago.
I'll be back soon:):)

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
9,535 Posts
What's FDII?
FDII was a 4wd option package. You would need to get a compatible transmission with the option package your Patriot was built with. I believe the 6th digit is for the transmission, but you might want to check with a dealer to be sure. The below chart is for a 2007 so being a 2014 yours may be different, but I expect the sequence/position would be the same. I lifted the chart from a post in this thread: Patriot VIN: Decoder that gives the Sequence Numbers...

This is the only chart I could find. There are also VIN decoders on line.

I hope this is helpful

Font Parallel Number Pattern Monochrome

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FDII was a 4wd option package. You would need to get a compatible transmission with the option package your Patriot was built with. I believe the 6th digit is for the transmission, but you might want to check with a dealer to be sure. The below chart is for a 2007 so being a 2014 yours may be different, but I expect the sequence/position would be the same. I lifted the chart from a post in this thread: Patriot VIN: Decoder that gives the Sequence Numbers...

This is the only chart I could find. There are also VIN decoders on line.

I hope this is helpful

View attachment 96834
Found the decoder, yes, my transmission is G.
Thank you,
Peter

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi guys,
I was in a quiet mode...my wrist is better now but 11 screws and a plate implanted take time to heal((
But...always a but...as I was thinking about my options to fix/swap/rplace my transmission, I found the wrecked 2013 Pat on Copart auction, 10 miles form my home. Had not much time to ask for advice or do research, dove into it and bought it. So the situation now is as follows:
My 2014 Pat's transmission died at 137k. I have 2.4 VVT engine, 4x4. Transmission is CVT FDII. (build sheet says: Cont.Var. w/Off-Rd Crawl Ratio Trans )
I bought 2013 Pat (side crashed, Limited, nice package) with 60K, same 2.4 VVT engine, 4x4, and CVT transmission looks like FDII, (build sheet says:
Continuously Variable Transaxle II
AutoStick (R) Automatic Transmission ).

My reasoning was: the final cost of the car after the auction was 3K, for almost that price I will get low mileage CVT transmission from the junkyard (if they don't lie about the mileage though!)
My 2014 is really basic (manual windows, door locks...), so for $3k beside obvious engine with the transmission, I can also swap a few things like doors (my wife swiped the left doors against the lamp pole:):), radio with nav, leather seats with heating/power etc and I can sell a few items (wheels, computers and whatever...) to recover some $.
Outcome should be Pat with less then half my mileage (on the engine and transmission) for $3K, nice bottle of whisky for a friend who lets me use his yard and all tools needed, and yes...a lot of my work:):). I'm pretty mechanically inclined, never did such a big job though.
Now, a few questions for a fellow fanatics who like challenges))
1) Is the wiring in my old car already present to simply swap my 2014 doors with manual windows with donor doors with power windows or I have to run wires?
2) My shifter in 2014 looks different (has L), the shifter in 2013 has D with + and -) . Not sure how to understand this: both are CVT FDII, what's the difference then? Why different shifter?
3) as by above, does it mean there are two different rear differentials?
4) What else do I need/can/should swap (besides engine+transmission, computers)? Maybe axles, differential?
5) The donor vehicle has a remote start -nice to have during NY winters. What should I take take out of the donor to install in my Pat to have this feature? Where is this module?
6) What diagnostic comp and software would you suggest (preferably for Windows)?
7) Can you give me the links to service manuals for both 2013 1nd 2014 Patriots?
8) Any suggestions? What else should I pay attention to?

It's a long story and I know you guys are busy, have not much time to read it, even less time to respond, but I also know you are cool bunch of duds and I would really appreciate any help/comments/ advice or just some encouraging words.
And I promise to keep you posted on the process and the results.
Thank you verrry muchhhh!
Peter

·
Administrator
8,545 Posts
Hi Peter, glad you're on the mend. :)

The two transmissions, Cont.Var. w/Off-Rd Crawl Ratio (FDII) vs. Continuously Variable Transaxle II w. Auto Stick (FDI) have different differential gearing and PCM programming (simulated low range / off-road mode in the FDII vs. Auto Stick, etc.).

Font Material property Screenshot Number Rectangle

I don't have a 2013 service manual, but the 2014 manual is here:

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,454 Posts
My 2014 Pat's transmission died at 137k. I have 2.4 VVT engine, 4x4. Transmission is CVT FDII. (build sheet says: Cont.Var. w/Off-Rd Crawl Ratio Trans )
I bought 2013 Pat (side crashed, Limited, nice package) with 60K, same 2.4 VVT engine, 4x4, and CVT transmission looks like FDII, (build sheet says:
Continuously Variable Transaxle II
AutoStick (R) Automatic Transmission ).
They are NOT the same and NOT interchangeable. Autostick is not FDII. You may be able to make it work though.

1) Is the wiring in my old car already present to simply swap my 2014 doors with manual windows with donor doors with power windows or I have to run wires?
Maybe? From working on my Pat, I've found that it is surprisingly "plug & play". I don't have any first hand knowledge of wiring to the doors, but if I had to guess, i'd say that the wiring harness TO the doors are the same between all trim levels, and just the wiring IN the doors is different. So I'd guess that it might be as easy as swapping the doors and programming the computer to see them.
2) My shifter in 2014 looks different (has L), the shifter in 2013 has D with + and -) . Not sure how to understand this: both are CVT FDII, what's the difference then? Why different shifter?
They are NOT both FDII. Autostick and FDII are mutually exclusive. You will need to swap the shifter and bezel over.
3) as by above, does it mean there are two different rear differentials?
Yes. The RDU (rear end) will need to be swapped too. FDII has a lower gearing than the other.
4) What else do I need/can/should swap (besides engine+transmission, computers)? Maybe axles, differential?
PTU (transfer case), RDU (rear end)
5) The donor vehicle has a remote start -nice to have during NY winters. What should I take take out of the donor to install in my Pat to have this feature? Where is this module?
I don't know where the wireless start module is, but besides that you'll also need the WCM
6) What diagnostic comp and software would you suggest (preferably for Windows)?
7) Can you give me the links to service manuals for both 2013 1nd 2014 Patriots?
Here's a link to the '14 manual. Should be the same for 13.
8) Any suggestions? What else should I pay attention to?
You will be losing the FDII, but if you don't care about off-road ability then this doesn't really matter. If you swap over the entire drivetrain and all of the computers/modules/radio/instrument cluster/etc, then you shouldn't actually need to program anything, since all that stuff from the donor vehicle is already programmed to work together already.

You've got yourself quite a project there, more than I would ever attempt, good luck with it! This forum is a good source of info for you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

The two transmissions, Cont.Var. w/Off-Rd Crawl Ratio (FDII) vs. Continuously Variable Transaxle II w. Auto Stick (FDI) have different differential gearing and PCM programming (simulated low range / off-road mode in the FDII vs. Auto Stick, etc.).

View attachment 96958

Thank you Sandstone,
Every bit of info is very appreciated.
I may still bother you in the future))
Best,
Peter

View attachment 96958

Thank you Sandstone!
Every bit of information is very appreciated.
I hope you don't mind to be bothered again in the future))
Best,
Peter
They are NOT the same and NOT interchangeable. Autostick is not FDII. You may be able to make it work though.

Maybe? From working on my Pat, I've found that it is surprisingly "plug & play". I don't have any first hand knowledge of wiring to the doors, but if I had to guess, i'd say that the wiring harness TO the doors are the same between all trim levels, and just the wiring IN the doors is different. So I'd guess that it might be as easy as swapping the doors and programming the computer to see them.

They are NOT both FDII. Autostick and FDII are mutually exclusive. You will need to swap the shifter and bezel over.

Yes. The RDU (rear end) will need to be swapped too. FDII has a lower gearing than the other.

PTU (transfer case), RDU (rear end)

I don't know where the wireless start module is, but besides that you'll also need the WCM

Here's a link to the '14 manual. Should be the same for 13.

You will be losing the FDII, but if you don't care about off-road ability then this doesn't really matter. If you swap over the entire drivetrain and all of the computers/modules/radio/instrument cluster/etc, then you shouldn't actually need to program anything, since all that stuff from the donor vehicle is already programmed to work together already.

You've got yourself quite a project there, more than I would ever attempt, good luck with it! This forum is a good source of info for you.
Thank you mr_et2!
Thank you for your time, knowledge, and advice. Much appreciated!
I hope I'm not head over my heels and this project will see the completion (being recently retired helps:).
I will keep you guys posted on the progress.
And I hope you will be able to share some wisdom if I get stuck in the project.
Best regards,
Peter

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
While waiting for my wrist to heal, I just ordered Appcar software (license for 2 VINs -my car and donor) and OBDlink EX interface they recommend. I will scan both trucks for any fault codes before starting to disconnect all parts. This way if something goes wrong during the swap, I will know it's my fault not the part/parts I use; it'll make easier looking for the cause.
Thanks again for your advice gentlemen!
Peter

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi guys,
Unfortunately my wrist is not good enough to take on my big swap project yet (physical therapy 2x week).
So for now, I take advantage of my donor 2013 Pat sitting in the yard and upgrade my base 2014 Pat.
I swapped 3 doors (plug and play)-and I have now power windows, power, heated mirrors. Front seats also swapped (power -working, heat not tested yet). Donor has a power door lock and remote start - I hope to switch wireless control module and get them to work (Hopefully replacing the lock and reprogramming the key with Appcar will be sufficient. My donor has only 1 key, will have to buy 1 more and program it). My plan is to swap nice touch screen media display-the question though: I know there is a code needed to have it work-how can I get this code?
Any advice will be appreciated:)
Will update you all on my progress.
Thank you!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts