Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Friends,
I took my Jeep (81k miles, bought it used last year, warranty) to Aamco for a check up when my mechanic said the transmission fluid was a little low/discolored. Aamco ran a bunch of tests and said it was starting to break down and needs to be replaced for $5k. I asked for a timeline on how long I had before catastrophe hit or what exactly they’re looking at to get that diagnosis and couldn’t get a straight answer. I changed my fluid and filters (including the cooler) and found nothing to suggest the transmission was on its way out. The magnets and screen were gunked up, but there were no big metal chunks or anything. My scanner didn’t find any codes.
My questions :
Am I good, or did I just buy myself some time? Is there something else I should look at for potential transmission failure?
Thanks!

·
8,011 Posts
Welcome!

At 81,000 I'd guess you're good for a while yet. My advice is, "if it's not broke, don't fix it." Of course I'm no expert, and even an expert would have to see your tranny. All I can offer is my experience.

I had a CVT fail at 110,000 miles and I'd never changed the fluid. You were wise to change it when you did, but the most common recommendation on here is every 50,000. Some even say more frequently. BTW, with regular (50,000 mile) changes my other CVT went to 170,000 before it started slipping.

I know the owners manual says 100-120,000 miles but that's OTL. If you read the fine print, almost every Patriot qualifies as severe conditions, it's not just for taxicabs and police cars.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome!

At 81,000 I'd guess you're good for a while yet. My advice is, "if it's not broke, don't fix it." Of course I'm no expert, and even an expert would have to see your tranny. All I can offer is my experience.

I had a CVT fail at 110,000 miles and I'd never changed the fluid. You were wise to change it when you did, but the most common recommendation on here is every 50,000. Some even say more frequently. BTW, with regular (50,000 mile) changes my other CVT went to 170,000 before it started slipping.

I know the owners manual says 100-120,000 miles but that's OTL. If you read the fine print, almost every Patriot qualifies as severe conditions, it's not just for taxicabs and police cars.
Thanks! I’m think I’m going to stick with doing it every 30-40k to be on the safe side. I’m of the same mindset, not broke don’t fix it. I’ve seen a couple other users on here mention the $5k swap when they take it to a transmission place so I’m thinking that’s just standard practice.

·
Super Moderator
4,844 Posts
Hi Friends,
I took my Jeep (81k miles, bought it used last year, warranty) to Aamco for a check up when my mechanic said the transmission fluid was a little low/discolored. Aamco ran a bunch of tests and said it was starting to break down and needs to be replaced for $5k. I asked for a timeline on how long I had before catastrophe hit or what exactly they’re looking at to get that diagnosis and couldn’t get a straight answer. I changed my fluid and filters (including the cooler) and found nothing to suggest the transmission was on its way out. The magnets and screen were gunked up, but there were no big metal chunks or anything. My scanner didn’t find any codes.
My questions :
Am I good, or did I just buy myself some time? Is there something else I should look at for potential transmission failure?
Thanks!
Time will tell, but if it wasn't having problems (overheating, jerking, judder, limp mode, etc.) and no metal in the pan you should be good for a while if you keep up on the fluid and filter changes to reduce the amount of small metal shavings circulating in the fluid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Time will tell, but if it wasn't having problems (overheating, jerking, judder, limp mode, etc.) and no metal in the pan you should be good for a while if you keep up on the fluid and filter changes to reduce the amount of small metal shavings circulating in the fluid.

Thanks! I forgot to mention the Aamco guy said the transaxle needs to be replaced. Is that another term for CVT, or something to worry about?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just want to warn you, AMCO and many other 'shops' make most of their money scaring people that they need 'urgent' services, which most of the time is total BS. I think that if there are no codes, no metal shavings, no noticeable issues and you changed the oil and filter on it...you are good to go. Let us know if it becomes an issue, good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just want to warn you, AMCO and many other 'shops' make most of their money scaring people that they need 'urgent' services, which most of the time is total BS. I think that if there are no codes, no metal shavings, no noticeable issues and you changed the oil and filter on it...you are good to go. Let us know if it becomes an issue, good luck.
Thanks, I’ve forgotten how convincing Big Box Mechanics are as I’ve used the same local mechanic for 6 years. Jeep is running great! So far so good

·
8,011 Posts
Thanks, I’ve forgotten how convincing Big Box Mechanics are as I’ve used the same local mechanic for 6 years. Jeep is running great! So far so good
Good honest mechanics aren't that hard to find, but they're usually working on their own. If they're working for someone else there's always pressure to suggest unneeded work. Many dealers tend to do the same -- I know one guy who left a dealership because of that.

My dealer (Bob Mariano, Concord, NH) earned my loyalty 15 years ago when they were a GM dealer by solving a problem on the cheap when they could have sold me a new transmission. They passed up a couple thousand dollar repair, but they've sold me six vehicles since. When they switched from GM to Chrysler/Jeep I stayed with them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts