Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, new to posting but have been reading and researching for days now but maybe someone can help me here. I bought my patriot last october and it had 67k on it at the time. It is almost at the 80k mark now and I am starting to hear this scraping/winding down/ticking noise when I am coming to a stop. I'm also having a vibration while idling that is more than just the standard automatic vibration. It wasn't there when I test drove it over a period of days before buying.

To answer a few questions:
-2009, 2.4L, automatic, 80,000 miles
-when I purchased it I was under the impression that the CVT was serviced at 60K. (I had a Caliber before, I know the drill on the pesky fluid changes) I have since learned that it was in fact NOT serviced and I plan to do that asap.

Now for the questions:
Does anyone know if the fluid change might help the issue I'm having?
Could it also help the vibration situation? If not, anyone know what could?
I plan to go through the dealer, they quoted me $179 USD + tax, best price I've found. I just don't have the time to do it myself right now. Anyways, with a standard CVT service they are not flushing the trans right?

I love my girl and I try to fix anything that comes up but this has me stumped. I've heard about all the transmission issues some of yall have been having and if I have to I will trade it in rather than let it go out and be stuck with it.

Thanks for the help!

·
Super Moderator
8,717 Posts
$179 is a good deal. I'd do that and see what happens after that. You're definitely due for a change anyway, but not overdue according to the manual. That's a lot cheaper than a new transmission or trading it in.

As for the other problems, are you sure its your tranny? It might just be a rough idle that shows up more at an idle in Drive. Other problems could be other things. Start with the cheap fixes first. God forbid you need a new tranny, it might still be worth it. My CVT choked at 110,000 miles (replaced under warranty) but if I'd had to pay for it, I'd still be mad, but it would have been worth it. My replacement tranny has 150,000 miles on it with no problems. At your age and miles you'd do best to repair unless you're looking at a rash of other repairs. You'd get peanuts on a trade in, and if you sell privately and there is a problem, you might get a punch in the nose! :(

·
Registered
434 Posts
If you have the fluid changed they will tell you if they see any issues with the transmission fluid or whatnot. You can even ask them to look into the issues you are seeing while there. As Ignatz said, it could be something else, but mine has always had "wind down" noise so I'm not sure what to tell you there.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Hello everyone, new to posting but have been reading and researching for days now but maybe someone can help me here. I bought my patriot last october and it had 67k on it at the time. It is almost at the 80k mark now and I am starting to hear this scraping/winding down/ticking noise when I am coming to a stop. I'm also having a vibration while idling that is more than just the standard automatic vibration. It wasn't there when I test drove it over a period of days before buying.

To answer a few questions:
-2009, 2.4L, automatic, 80,000 miles
-when I purchased it I was under the impression that the CVT was serviced at 60K. (I had a Caliber before, I know the drill on the pesky fluid changes) I have since learned that it was in fact NOT serviced and I plan to do that asap.

Now for the questions:
Does anyone know if the fluid change might help the issue I'm having?
Could it also help the vibration situation? If not, anyone know what could?
I plan to go through the dealer, they quoted me $179 USD + tax, best price I've found. I just don't have the time to do it myself right now. Anyways, with a standard CVT service they are not flushing the trans right?

I love my girl and I try to fix anything that comes up but this has me stumped. I've heard about all the transmission issues some of yall have been having and if I have to I will trade it in rather than let it go out and be stuck with it.

Thanks for the help!
At that dealer price it sounds like a fluid replacement only. At your mileage I would say you need to do the full service where they replace the filter and most of the fluid which requires taking the pan down.

I made the mistake of asking for a trans service at about 45k and did not specifically request the full service which is what I was expecting. They charged me right around $180 and replaced a whopping 1.5 qts of fluid. Buyer beware and good luck.:smile2:

·
Super Moderator
8,717 Posts
Yes, fluid and filter. You wouldn't change just the engine oil without changing the filter, why change the transmission fluid without changing the filter? Go the distance, it will pay off in the long run.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,642 Posts
I'd say have them do fluid and filter both, and buy your own AMSoil or maybe Valvoline CVT fluid for better quality. The fluid change will either fix your problems, or reveal a bad belt and show you that you need a new CVT. And that's if the problem is the transmission. If so, and the worst is the case, check local junkyards and such for a 2008-2009 Patriot/Compass CVT. If you have 4x4, you'll want the replacement to match, same with if you have FD2(Trail Rated).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I will be calling them tomorrow and double checking on what exactly the price they quoted me includes, on my Caliber they quoted me around $400 so I was shocked when they said $179 and I definitely want the full service. I will also be calling around to get prices elsewhere as I am not under warranty, someone told me to call Nissan as they put CVTs in their vehicles also.

I've noticed a negative camber on my front drivers side tire while changing my brake pads so getting that checked out tomorrow as well as ordering 4 new struts.

I got it for a really good deal, now looking back I wonder if maybe the old man that sold it to me knew exactly what kind of problems it had and just "forgot" to tell me like he did a couple things i.e. the leaky sunroof that only took pulling the headliner down to fix even though he had it checked out at a shop. Thats neither here nor there now but I am willing to put some money into it, but hopefully I won't put so much that I look back and say was it worth it to keep throwing money to constantly fix something verses saving for a down payment on a brand new truck like I would like to do but I'll give the Patriot a shot, she's been good to me so far maybe she just needs a little more love than she already gets. Only time will tell.

·
Super Moderator
8,717 Posts
Sooner or later it will have problems, and yes, no one ever sells a vehicle that's running great. A used vehicle almost always comes with a pending repair. When I was in outside sales I ran my vehicles till I was looking at a list of repairs, usually brakes, tires and suspension parts. I'd trade-in and accept the modest dollar knowing I'd avoided $1000+ in approaching repairs. Dealer probably invested peanuts in a cheap set of tires to mask the suspension issues and sold it 'as is' or maybe with a brief drive-train warranty. If the next owner was willing to put out for the needed repairs, he'd probably have a good vehicle for another 100,000 miles. Of course he's thinking, I just paid $9000 for this car and it needs all this work!. :mad: Yup, of course it does -- if it didn't need work I wouldn't have traded it. Like I said, get past the reason the last guy sold it and you've probably got some happy miles ahead of you.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My 2008 with CVT has been making that sound since I bought it with 64K on it. It now has 114K.

Even though the owners manual states 120K for CVT service under normal conditions, I would never go that long on any vehicle. Mine started making a whining noise at around 84K. I changed the fluid and filter (around $100) and that stopped the whining noise. I've since changed the fluid and filter again and put on a CVT pan with a drain plug so that I can do a drain and fill more conveniently.

·
Super Moderator
8,717 Posts
I've been pondering that "winding down" noise. Not sure if this will help, but Patriots cut fuel as the vehicle nears a stop so it might just be compression braking that you're hearing.

FYI, my CVT went south at 110,000 miles and it made a humming sound consistent with the vehicle speed. I've heard the same sound from a failing conventional automatic. That was my only symptom. By your description, I don't think that's what you're hearing.

If the CVT fluid is old or running too hot you may hear a high-pitched hum, more of a soft scream. That would indicate ITS TIME to get the fluid changed out NOW. Mine made that noise at about 90,000 miles the August before it failed. I ignored it, then in January the CVT went kaput. That said, my new CVT has never given me any trouble and I've got 140,000 miles on the replacement. My replacement tranny developed a small drip and my dealer replaced the fluid & filter while they were doing the gasket. Fortunately I got the lifetime warranty and all this was covered (new tranny and the leak). All I paid for was that last filter; FCA covered the fluid and the repair, and of course the replacement tranny.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been pondering that "winding down" noise. Not sure if this will help, but Patriots cut fuel as the vehicle nears a stop so it might just be compression braking that you're hearing.
My only thing is it has this weird scrapping/grinding noise mixed with the winding down sound. So I guess my main concern is it being a belt in the transmission.

I spoke with the service manager today, he said that the $179 quote was wrong and that the actual price to get the cvt serviced was $710. Yeah, pass I'll do it myself for $100.

I am ordering fluid, filter, and gasket and getting the cvt serviced next week, so we shall see what that does to help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts