Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an 08 patriot, auto, 4x4, with 146,000 miles. Recently the trans light came on and went into "limp mode". took into local dealer and the initial thought from service mgr was new trans then foudn some wires had rotted and with some new conections it was fixed and ran perfect for almost 4 months. Then the engine light came on again on a long travel and "limp" again. Since we were away from home went to the local dealer and they installed flash updates and in ran fine for about 25 miles, then we "limped" home. Went back to original dealer and had them look and the general answer is "they really don't know", but for $3200 they will sell us a new trans and thats a "good deal" from the service mgr but they really don't know if thats the right fix???? Our original plan was to sell the patriot because we need something bigger but then these problems became. Everything else is in perfect shape body and interior with new tires. Any suggestions? I looked at used trans with potential of putting one in? But I would rather sell it to somoene who would want a good deal and maybe have to put some $$ into it but still be out ahead of retail value... The thing that boggles me is it runs absolutely perfect sometimes but others not so much... woudl $5k be fair? Anyone interested or have any thought on waht to do?

·
Registered
12,876 Posts
Wires seem to corrode on ours, and no idea why. Mine looks great too, inside and out, but look underneath and it's all rust, and wiring is going bad.

Don't you have the lifetime powertrain warranty? That should cover the trans.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think she has the lifetime powertrain.... my bit of mechanical knowledge tells me electrical.... The underside isn't rusted apart, it was washed regularly and hardly driven in the winter, most all miles are in the sumemr time for her job. But the amount of road salt and moisture in Northern Michigan and U.P winters takes a toll on anything. I'm hoping I can either fix and sell or sell to someone who would like to investigate the issues more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That would be awesome! I will look into it. It is my girlfriends car and she did buy it used would this have any effect? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
was tranny showing any problems before limping?
overheating? rough shifting, etccc?
i would not replace tranny on a hunch.
could be a multitude of sensors putting it into limp mode,
recently for me, my radiator fan is not turning on, and getting hot in traffic,
i went into limp mode briefly and rev was limited to 3500.
bad tranny should show some signs before hand,
also any codes being thrown by cpu?

·
Registered
12,876 Posts
That's the wiring that corroded for me terasec, the wires to the cooling fan. Never saw any variation on the temp gauge though.

If she bought it used, the warranty would not transfer, sorry.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The temp gauge itself was under normal but the trans temp light did come on and went to "limp". Jeep won't help because we are the 2nd owers and the lifetime powertrain only applies for 1st owners. Like I say its getting costly having it in and out of the dealership with only "I think its fixed" as a result. Its gotta be something electrical... Its getting frustrating... Thank you for all of your help and knowledge, much appreciated!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Does this only happen on long trips? My 2011 would go into limp mode and site the trans overheating light on long trips. After several trips to the dealer it was found that my radiator had mud and dirt in it, after a thorough cleaning and a software update mine has been fine. My engine temp would stay normal even when the trans was overheating. My radiator looked clean but was actually pretty dirty resulting in lowered air flow. Maybe try having the radiator finds cleaned would help. Without a grinding or weird shifts I would think the transmission is fine.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The first issue did happen on long trips.. They replaced the thermostat thinking it was an overheating issue. I would assume they would have flushed/cleaned the cooling system but we all know how that goes with mechanics... The 2nd time it was wiring.... fixed for 4months.... 3rd go around the dealer did flash updates..... and 4th time now saying tranny.... but there is no noise or evident slipage in the trannny... it does rev high sometimes but thats just because its not selecting a gear and maxed out... I may try to flush the entire cooling system and a extensive cleaning of it and see if that helps.. they said there was mud in the fins inside or on the exterior or the radiator?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Between the fins, not inside the radiator.

But you couldn't see it when just looking at the radiator.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
That's the wiring that corroded for me terasec, the wires to the cooling fan. Never saw any variation on the temp gauge though.

If she bought it used, the warranty would not transfer, sorry.
Yeah, only the original owner of the vehicle can use the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty. Wouldn't matter anyway as electrical issues will not be covered by it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
yep, the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty on some 07s and 08s were for the "original purchaser and is not transferable".

if your issue is a 'simple' wiring problem, that would be great. let us know how it comes out! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
either grenade under it or sell?? lol... Ive got a potential buyer for $4500 and I've explained the issues to him. Or I may try to find a used tranny if possible and put it in.... the headache...

·
Registered
5,441 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the link! I'm going to try to avoid spending that much on it. We really just want it gone for a larger SUV that can pull our large trailer and for her business. A friend of mine in sales at a dealer basically laughed when I asked about trade-in value... So either cheap used tranny/sell as is/scrap/run over with my truck/or pray....

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
It might not be the transmission, but those wires so getting a replacement tranny would not help if the wiring were not fixed. I would see about wire replacement first and then check the tranny out. In my area we have lots of beaches so the town uses sand instead of salt on roads, that's helpful! But thanks for bringing this to our attention, this spring I am going to get my car to the dealer and will have them check the wiring.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts