Jeep Patriot Forums banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,542 Posts
Is it best to change transmission fluid?
Yes. A drain and refill with filter changes on the regular.

What you don't need to do is have a shop "flush" it with a machine.

The flush machine can have solvents or fluids from a previous flush that could contaminate your CVT and cause problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey all -

I’ve got a 2012 Patriot with ~117k miles on it. I’ve been getting the CVT death whine for a couple weeks and three times in the last two days I’ve had it lose all power on me (jump to 4500 RPM and can’t accelerate past 40mph) twice on the interstate. It’s also lost power acceleration in stop-and-go traffic a few times in the last few weeks.

I’m having it looked at tomorrow but my mechanic says the transmission is probably slipping (which sucks, bc I just had a couple spark plugs replaced 3 weeks ago and he said it looked great). So I’ve got 2 options: repair the tranny or sell it and see if I can get an XJ.mobdro https://pnrstatus.vip/ https://sarkariresult.onl/

I’m not in a place financially to buy a new car, but is it silly of me to say that if the tranny needs replaced I’m just going to sell it? Family is suggesting I should just bite the bullet and have it fixed (~$4k) and keep it since I’m starting law school in August, “that way you have a car with basically a new engine,” but I also don’t think they realize the CVT can’t easily be rebuilt like a normal automatic.

WWYD, y’all? Any advice is appreciated. I gotta get this figured out ASAP (but in the meantime I’m gonna borrow my grandpa’s XJ while mine’s in the shop).
Based on what I’m reading here and personal experience with my Patriot Latitude with 32,000 miles, 2.4 engine and CVT transmission. Unload it before the transmission quits completely. The transmission is virtually impossible to rebuild so most dealers will just replace it with a new one. Four thousand for sure plus getting computer, engine and transMission to work together again. Find a new compact sUV with fwd, Chevy Trax, Buick Encore, Hyundai or Kia, lease it for three years, with a no or little down trade the Jeep with it and you will have 3 years with a vehicle under manufacturers warranty for$100-150 a month.
Save some money now and that XJ can be a graduation present to you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Hey all -

I’ve got a 2012 Patriot with ~117k miles on it. I’ve been getting the CVT death whine for a couple weeks and three times in the last two days I’ve had it lose all power on me (jump to 4500 RPM and can’t accelerate past 40mph) twice on the interstate. It’s also lost power acceleration in stop-and-go traffic a few times in the last few weeks.

I’m having it looked at tomorrow but my mechanic says the transmission is probably slipping (which sucks, bc I just had a couple spark plugs replaced 3 weeks ago and he said it looked great). So I’ve got 2 options: repair the tranny or sell it and see if I can get an XJ.
http://tradevenue.se/

I’m not in a place financially to buy a new car, but is it silly of me to say that if the tranny needs replaced I’m just going to sell it? Family is suggesting I should just bite the bullet and have it fixed (~$4k) and keep it since I’m starting law school in August, “that way you have a car with basically a new engine,” but I also don’t think they realize the CVT can’t easily be rebuilt like a normal automatic.

WWYD, y’all? Any advice is appreciated. I gotta get this figured out ASAP (but in the meantime I’m gonna borrow my grandpa’s XJ while mine’s in the shop).
Thank you my issue has been solved,...

·
8,365 Posts
The CVT can be rebuilt, and there are factory rebuilt units available. My CVT failed at 110,000 and I replaced it (fortunately I was under warranty). The replacement went to 273,000 miles so even if I'd paid it out of pocket it would have been worth it.

The CVT seemed to be the only weak point on my Patriot. The rest of the vehicle was as good or better than most others I've owned, so in my case it was well worth the repair.

·
Registered
1 Posts
bad CVT transmission is that the engine light can turn on or the car is having trouble starting or slow starting. Another straightforward symptom of transmission trouble is that your vehicle won't start or will take several attempts to start, becoming more frequent in the cold.

·
8,365 Posts
bad CVT transmission is that the engine light can turn on or the car is having trouble starting or slow starting. Another straightforward symptom of transmission trouble is that your vehicle won't start or will take several attempts to start, becoming more frequent in the cold.
I don't think any of those symptoms would relate to a transmission problem.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts