Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Normally I check my transmission fluid a couple of times a month but on my 2007 Patriot the CVT fluid dip stick seems to be screwed in to the dip stick tube and is marked "for dealer use only". See attached pic for detail.

Is it OK to unscrew this or am I going to break some kind of seal?
After I unscrew it does it operate like a normal dip stick?
Does it in fact unscrew or do i have to pull it straight out?

I just bought the car yesterday so pardon my ignorance :)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
If i recall correctly the dipstick isn't any use without the level chart and a scantool to read the transmission temperature. There is a thread about this somewhere on here.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
It's just a plug. The Patriot's did not come with a transmission fluid level dipstick. As Goser stated, you need to use a temperature-to-level chart to properly read if the fluid level is correct or not so it's more of a dealer only thing.

That being said, you can remove the plug. There isn't a seal or anything. You can always do what I do. I use the engine oil dipstick to check that the level is "around" the same. Because the CVT fluid expands/contracts alot due to temperature, you always want to check it at the same level place and after a long drive (like coming home from work). Again, this won't tell you if your over or under or anything, just that it's the same as last check.

1. Park in a level spot with the transmission full hot.
  2. Remove the plug and remove your engine oil dipstick.
  3. Thoroughly clean the engine oil dipstick of any oil (windex it, use some brake cleaner, whatever. I don't know if a tiny bit of oil will hurt the CVT fluid, but why take a chance).
  4. Fully insert the oil dipstick until the oil dipsticks handle bottoms out in the top of the dipstick tube.
  5. Remove and read the level. Wipe off and double check.
  6. Make a note of where the level is on the oil dipstick. Mark it, notch it or write it down, doesn't matter. This is now your "normal" level mark.
  7. If the temperature is hotter or cooler the level will be a little higher or lower then this (especially in the winter).
  8. If it goes a lot lower then you know you have a problem, so get it to the dealer to check and adjust.

·
POTM Winner AUG. 09.
4,635 Posts
The CVT is semi sealed for life, there is nothing about it that is a DIY propersition. If you want to ( According to usage) have you dealer check it at 60.000 miles or 120.000 miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2010 Jeep Patriot. I am looking to check the transmission fluid level. I can't find the tube to put in teh dipstick. I have Googled & YouTube'd..and have been shown 3 locations. Next to the battery, in back by the firewall, or on the left of the engine. I can't find my tube anywhere. I have taken off the air vent on top that's near the battery too. Most sites show year 2014 and newer...mine is 2010,,any ideas?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts