Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing the front left cv axle but the new one looks a bit different and i can't get the new one to snap into place. New axle has a ring close to the boot but not the old one. New design? Or is something still in the trans in missing??

·
Registered
588 Posts
I haven't had to replace one yet, but they do not look the same to me. Looks like the new one had a grease seal on it... maybe the old grease seal is still in the trans.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's my worry..i don't want to pry something out that shouldn't come out

·
Super Moderator
4,828 Posts
I have a 2010 FDII. I've replaced both front axles, and my axles look more like the new one.

You may want to check to make sure the new axle is the right one for your vehicle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have checked and double checked part numbers and images and they all look just like the new one

·
Super Moderator
4,828 Posts
The ring on the new axle is a dust cover for the oil seal on the transmission (#4).

The old axle may have had one and it's come loose and stuck to the side of the transmission.

I looked but couldn't find a better pic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sooooooo.....it would appear there are indeed two different axles..go figure...this is the hard to find and 3 times as expensive one..just my luck...so maybe next time I'll triple check

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sooooooo.....it would appear there are indeed two different axles..go figure...this is the hard to find and 3 times as expensive one..just my luck...so maybe next time I'll triple check
Hey man. Same thing happened to me. Bought the same one you bought. (MasterPro) from O'Reilly's and they insisted it was correct, but it was not and wouldn't install because of that cap piece/oil seal that's been mentioned. For the record, I have a 2015 2.4L Sport 4x4 (6speed auto). I ended up having to buy the correct part from AutoZone (duralast model). Maybe O'Reilly's has it listed wrong?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts