Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm looking for info on how to do custom skid plates and tow hooks on my patriot. I used the search function, but haven't found much yet. I'm mostly curious on how to do tow hooks with a trailer drop hitch. I've seen in done, but I don't know the specific process, nor do I have any good photos. If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be great! And if anyone has done custom skid plates, I would love to know the dimensions and process (and photos if possible!).

Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just giving this a quick bump to see if anyone has info or links on how to do these.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have not messed around with the front of my pat and have no hooks. A lot of things I've seen say just the factory tow hooks but for as much as they are I'd think someone could fab something up. Same with skid plates I don't think much is available other than factory or if you posess fabrication skills

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do a lot of metal fabrication and custom bladework, but I was curious to hear other's ideas and projects. I've seen some custom tow hooks here, I think from Carter1995?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Earthworm has a hitch in the front of his rig, but he buttoned his up before he could get pics. So the hitch thing can be done.

As for tow hooks, I think it would take some cutting on the front bumper, but you could probably attach some vertical tangs to the bumper brackets, and put some shackles/D-rings on those.

Anything that gets done will likely require cutting & welding, tho.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking of using two of these in the front where the tow hooks go, and bolt them to the frame. I would use a 10,000 lb D ring on both for the towing. I would have to drill a hole or two through the hitch, but my buddy has a drill press, so it shouldn't be an issue.

http://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Curt/D-26.html

·
Registered
701 Posts
earthworm51[/QUOTE] I bought two rear U-Haul Hitches.
I took the frontend off the Patriot. I used a U-Haul rear hitch. It fits over the square metal impact bumper and drilled a couple holes on each side and bolted it on. I did some grinding on the receiver hitch. It's fairly easy to do. Taking the frontend off was harder to do if I recall correctly, it's been several years since I put it on. Once you take off the frontend you'll see what needs to be done. You can do it yourself.:smiley_thumbs_up:[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
296 Posts
i might make me cut a thin sheet of metal to bolt the right place for my skids plates in a shop with a designer except those not immediately or l'll have to send the blue print !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts