Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Jeep Patriot Sport 2WD
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined and find it a little discerning with a plethora of issues facing the Patriot. I have a 2016 2WD Sport. I had a module fail under warranty and recently an ABS Sensor. I am over the date of warranty, but have only 33,000 miles on her.Are these issues I am looking forward to or are they freak occurrences?

·
8,289 Posts
I've had two Patriots. I took one to 280,000 miles, the other is presently at half that. Neither ever had a bad sensor of any kind.

·
Super Moderator
5,381 Posts
Any vehicle will have their issues, some owners have more problems than others, some have less.

Keeping up on maintenance goes a long way to keeping problems down.

Since you have a 2016 I presume you have the 6 speed auto. Keep up on all fluid changes, including the transmission.

Wheel speed sensor failure isn't entirely uncommon but not really hard or expensive to fix.

Don't know which module failed so I can't comment on that.

You say you live in NC so you probably won't see a lot of salt on the road, but just the same keep the undersides clean to prevent rust problems.

·
Registered
2016 Jeep Patriot Sport 2WD
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any vehicle will have their issues, some owners have more problems than others, some have less.

Keeping up on maintenance goes a long way to keeping problems down.

Since you have a 2016 I presume you have the 6 speed auto. Keep up on all fluid changes, including the transmission.

Wheel speed sensor failure isn't entirely uncommon but not really hard or expensive to fix.

Don't know which module failed so I can't comment on that.

You say you live in NC so you probably won't see a lot of salt on the road, but just the same keep the undersides clean to prevent rust problems.
Thanks Sandstone.
I keep up on maintenance but not thru a dealer. They want 4 to 5 times the price.
The 6 speed doesn't have a dip stick or anything. Are fluid changes critical and how often?
Speed sensor: Dealer wanted $350 including part and my local mechanic replaced it for $90 including part.
Module: the problem I had was the jeep would drain the battery overnight.
Salt: Until the first cleansing rain, I always spray the underside and more after a drive in the salt brine.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hey Newt, my 2014 (bought spring of 2013) with 6 speed tranny has been pretty trouble free. I have probably taken care of it better than any previous vehicles. Sadly, vehicle specific forums often end up only attracting people needing problem solving, which skews the perceptions. The second generation post 2011 Patriots seem to have lots less problems.

One achilles heel is the throttle body with plastic gears. Dealers want $600 - $800 to replace a $200 part that is very DIY able.

At minimum, I would change the tranny fluid by 60,000 miles and then pick a reasonable interval after that. The internal filter is non-serviceable, so I feel it is good to get the contaminants out on a regular basis. I've done mine twice in 95,000 miles. Some suggest changing your brake fluid every 2 to 3 years. At least flush it out at brake jobs. Coolant is rated for 10 years/150,000 miles. I just did mine approaching 8 years/95,000 miles (radiator only, partial change). See my recent "work-around" coolant thread.

I "detail" the exterior paint once in the spring and once in the fall. Unlike other brands, I have had excellent luck with FCA paint durability over the decades. Other brand owners complain of thin, chipping paint.

I get my Patriot Krown rust proofing oiled annually. I am seeing increased rusting of vehicles here in Michigan (increased road salting). Hesitant at first, I have no regrets about this now. It's nice peace of mind if nothing else. My last vehicle had internal seam rusting at 7 years and rust through at 8, regardless of faithful exterior rinsing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts