Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My 2011 Patriot is currently at our local Jeep dealership. I am being told it needs Front And Rear Crossmember replacements due to rust. I have the MOPAR extended warranty but it was not covered. I brought up the Service Bulletin
23-007-17 REV. B. I am being told that because the car was originally sold in Oklahoma that it is not covered although I have lived in Iowa for 8 years and have had all service done through the Jeep dealer.

According to the service bulletin I qualify for the 10 year extended warranty. It says nothing about where the car was purchased 9 years ago.

I don't want to spend $2k on a repair for something that should be covered.

Please help if you any advice. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
5,119 Posts
Welcome!

You might try sending member JeepCares a PM (called "conversations" in the drop-down menu) with your VIN and ask if they can assist you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not getting anywhere... They don't seem to read the service bulletin saying that those two parts are extended for 10 years.

Anyways, I have attached photos from the dealer of the two crossmembers. I understand that holes in metal are not good, but does this warrant being changed immediately? Thank you.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,119 Posts
The extended warranty says if there's perforation/ rust through then it needs to be changed.

If it were me, I wouldn't wait much longer.

·
8,158 Posts
Ditto Sandstone. That's not going to heal. If you wait till it breaks it's going to do collateral damage making it all the more expensive. And breaking on the road could be harmful or fatal to you and your Patriot. :(

I haven't had a geography class since 5th grade, but at that time Iowa and Oklahoma were in the same country -- I haven't heard anything to the contrary since so the state of your residence shouldn't make any difference in your warranty coverage. Frankly the dealer's rationale is a knee-slapper. :LOL: If you're the original owner it seems to me that you should be covered. If the dealer is stonewalling you, reach out to @JeepCares on this website.

PS, I see Sandstone recommended contacting JeepCares a couple posts above. Now you've heard it twice. What have you got to lose?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello, I did reach out to them and they said that just because it says it's on a Service Bulletin doesn't mean that it is covered. It says on the bulletin that it adds 10 years. The only response I get from JeepCares and after calling the Jeep 800 #, along with the dealer is. "You're Not Covered". What does that mean, your just ignoring your own service bulletin?

·
Super Moderator
5,119 Posts
If it were me, I'd ask them for a specific reason as to why you're not covered. The warranty does say that it applies to vehicles in certain states and sales codes in the U.S. Market (Sales Code YAA) and Canadian Market (Sales Code YAC).

Depending on the answer I might consider getting legal advice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is what JeepCares says

While this Service Bulletin falls within your vehicle specs, unfortunately you do not qualify for the extended warranty. This warranty in particular can be affected by your vehicle location, and I am sorry to say that you do not fall within coverage for this particular part. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Again, not a specific answer.

·
8,158 Posts
This is what JeepCares says

While this Service Bulletin falls within your vehicle specs, unfortunately you do not qualify for the extended warranty. This warranty in particular can be affected by your vehicle location, and I am sorry to say that you do not fall within coverage for this particular part. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Again, not a specific answer.
I guess you could press them for the specifics.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have now spoken with six different agents/supervisors at Jeep 1-800# and have asked for clarification from JeepCares. I keep getting the exact same answer, Your car appears to be within the standards but you don't qualify. This is maddening! No one can give me specifics. I was planning on buying another Jeep but at this point I would rather walk.

·
8,158 Posts
I doubt a lawyer will do more than take your money. Maybe you'll get clarification on the refusal, but is that worth the money? FCA is a multi-billion dollar company and they are not going to shake in their boots when someone threatens to sue them. They probably have a room full of lawyers twiddling their thumbs waiting to fight you.

From what I've seen people are getting their subframes replaced for c$1200 which, while not cheap, is probably worth the repair. That depends on the condition of your Patriot, of course.

I'd say bit the bullet, fix it, then decide if you want to keep it or trade it. I don't blame you for avoiding Jeep in the future.

My Dad got a bad '66 Chevy and never bought another GM product (he died in 2014). He brought me up the same although I did get mostly GMs while I was on the road, most of our personal vehicles were Chrysler products. GM easily lost a dozen sales, probably closer to two dozen just in our family. He loved the '69 Dodge he replaced the lemon Chevy with and his enthusiasm got at least two of his friends to buy them too. GM would have been better off to say, "We're so sorry your car is such a problem. We'll take your lemon in even trade for anything else on our lot." They would have made a friend for life and sold two dozen more vehicles.

·
Registered
714 Posts
No, they won't shake in their boots, they'll make it drag out forever. My brother is suing FCA over a transmission issue with his RAM 2500. Been in the courts for about 3 years now, but he found a lawyer to take it pro bono.

·
Registered
314 Posts
How far and how much $ you want to throw at the issue 🤔 either legally or in repair. I agree with all that FCA won't budge if taken to court...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

My 2011 Patriot is currently at our local Jeep dealership. I am being told it needs Front And Rear Crossmember replacements due to rust. I have the MOPAR extended warranty but it was not covered. I brought up the Service Bulletin
23-007-17 REV. B. I am being told that because the car was originally sold in Oklahoma that it is not covered although I have lived in Iowa for 8 years and have had all service done through the Jeep dealer.

According to the service bulletin I qualify for the 10 year extended warranty. It says nothing about where the car was purchased 9 years ago.

I don't want to spend $2k on a repair for something that should be covered.

Please help if you any advice. Thank you.
Same thing with me but I also had a break in the K frame from the rust. 2011 also. Thank god my daughter wasn’t hurt when this happened. Not sure I will be buying another Jeep after seeing all the rust when the service guy showed me.

·
8,158 Posts
Frankly I think there ought to be a recall at least for inspection, and of course for repair if needed. 10 years is fair, things don't last forever, but even then we're not talkng sheet metal. Frames ought to be a little tougher. Trouble is frames are being made lighter probably for a different aspect of safety and of course to make the vehicle lighter to meet CAFE standards.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts