Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started having this problem with my 2013 Jeep Patriot a few months ago, I was going up a hill and the vehicle just died I pulled off and restarted it and kept going. It would seem to always do it in that one same spot if I went over 50 mph as long as I kept it at 50 it would make it all right. When I was able to get a code it was p0315 which had something to do with the crankshaft sensor. I bought a new one and installed it yesterday, But it was late by the time I finished so I didn't try it out until this morning. When I started the vehicle it would run sputter then die. I kept trying to start it and every once in awhile it would run a little longer even though it would sputter but then it would eventually die again. Probably about the 10th time or so that I tried to start it sputtered a few times But then to my surprise return to a normal idol so I thought maybe it had adjusted itself somehow and was now okay. I then took it for a test drive and it ran pretty good for a while until I got up to about 60 and then it started cutting out but the engine wouldn't die unless I stopped, I figured since I was moving that kept the engine running. Anyway the code I get now is a p0339. Does this sound like a bad sensor or bad wiring or a bad connection? Is there anything else I might check?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought I'd give an update to this since others may find it useful. I'd thought I'd try putting the old sensor back in just to see if it would run. It started up and idled smoothly, just as if there was nothing wrong. I decided to order the "Jeep" part, which was about 4 times the amount of the first sensor I bought. Once it came in I put it in and started the vehicle. It started and idled like a champ. I did notice that when I would rev the engine to about 3000 rpm, it would cut out and start throwing the same codes and run rough. I decided to take it for a test drive anyway (after shutting it off and restarting it, which seemed to reset things). I started out on flat highway, got up to 55mph, everything was going well until I started climbing a hill, once the RPMs hit 3000, it once again started throwing codes and running rough. After shutting it down and restarting I headed back in opposite direction, which is flat ground for a lot longer. I gradually increased the speed getting up to about 67 mph. I didn't try to push it at this point. I drove back and forth like this for about an hour with no problems, then parked it. Engine light was still on, but it was running normally as far as I could tell. I parked it for now as I was totally trusting it just yet. When the weekend rolled around around I took it out for another test run. During this run I did something I saw on YouTube that was supposed to "relearn" things. The process was to accelerate to 70, then coast down to 40. I did this 5 or 6 times. I then decided to test the hills, fingers crossed. I cringed when starting up the hills as the rpm's crept up higher and higher. To my amazement though, I didn't have any troubles. The engine light was still on, but it seemed to be running normally. Today was the first day I felt comfortable taking it to work. As an added bonus, when I started the Jeep this morning, no engine light! I'll still be leery for a while I think, but for now it seems to be running smoothly. I'll post again, if something else happens.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I thought I'd give an update to this since others may find it useful. I'd thought I'd try putting the old sensor back in just to see if it would run. It started up and idled smoothly, just as if there was nothing wrong. I decided to order the "Jeep" part, which was about 4 times the amount of the first sensor I bought. Once it came in I put it in and started the vehicle. It started and idled like a champ. I did notice that when I would rev the engine to about 3000 rpm, it would cut out and start throwing the same codes and run rough. I decided to take it for a test drive anyway (after shutting it off and restarting it, which seemed to reset things). I started out on flat highway, got up to 55mph, everything was going well until I started climbing a hill, once the RPMs hit 3000, it once again started throwing codes and running rough. After shutting it down and restarting I headed back in opposite direction, which is flat ground for a lot longer. I gradually increased the speed getting up to about 67 mph. I didn't try to push it at this point. I drove back and forth like this for about an hour with no problems, then parked it. Engine light was still on, but it was running normally as far as I could tell. I parked it for now as I was totally trusting it just yet. When the weekend rolled around around I took it out for another test run. During this run I did something I saw on YouTube that was supposed to "relearn" things. The process was to accelerate to 70, then coast down to 40. I did this 5 or 6 times. I then decided to test the hills, fingers crossed. I cringed when starting up the hills as the rpm's crept up higher and higher. To my amazement though, I didn't have any troubles. The engine light was still on, but it seemed to be running normally. Today was the first day I felt comfortable taking it to work. As an added bonus, when I started the Jeep this morning, no engine light! I'll still be leery for a while I think, but for now it seems to be running smoothly. I'll post again, if something else happens.
First, thanks for coming back and letting us know the update. Second, this does not surprise me at all. When it comes to sensors, it's always best to stick with OEM if possible. I think you could have set it to "relearn mode" by also removing your negative battery cable (as you probably could have done when you replaced the sensor) for at least 10 minutes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First, thanks for coming back and letting us know the update. Second, this does not surprise me at all. When it comes to sensors, it's always best to stick with OEM if possible. I think you could have set it to "relearn mode" by also removing your negative battery cable (as you probably could have done when you replaced the sensor) for at least 10 minutes.
Does that mean everytime your battery goes dead, it goes back into relearn mode?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Does that mean everytime your battery goes dead, it goes back into relearn mode?
Definitely. All the catalyst monitors will reset to "not ready" as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts