Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

Discussion Starter #1
At this moment we are making many changes due to the corona-virus. I'm wondering 1) what changes may be transitory, 2) what changes we need to make, and 3) what the long-term effect will be.

I'll start:

1) Transitory changes: Hygiene and excessive sanitizer use will remain for at least the medium term, i.e. years, not months.. If there are no further outbreaks, hygiene will fall off before sanitizer use. Many people use sanitizer

2) Needed changes: We need to start teaching nutrition in our schools. Home Economics classes used to teach girls the basics of cooking and meal planning. Home Ec devolved into child-care and culinary arts. Home Ec was based on a nuclear family that is decline. Boys as well as girls should be taking redesigned Home Ec classes.

3) Long-term effects: a) With so many people working at home many employers will keep it that way. At first we'll all be going back to the office, but I expect it will be a buyer's market for office space for many years to come. Why rent office space when people can work at home. b) Similarly with education. If we can educate children at home (homeschoolers are way ahead of the curve on this) then why are we building million dollar schools so they can congregate and infect each other? How many kids pick up the traditional flu at school and bring it home with them? I think we're already seeing an increase in on-line learning. Brick and mortar colleges may go the way of brick and mortar stores. Some will survive, most won't. As a byproduct of more "at home" activity I expect real improvements in internet security. c) Decreased commuting and a consequent slow-down in the auto industry, decrease in highway construction, lesser need for mass transit, and continued depression in the oil industry.

What does anyone else think?

Premium Member
Hygiene - nothing had to change because I (we) are not filthy non-hygienic like the majority of the population. Following the same rules before hand and all good. Not wearing shoes indoors (dragging the filth in your house), washing food and dishes properly, washing hands properly and after every restroom visit, cleaning your house and property regularly including your car/phone/exterior home/etc, eating well (which keeps you healthy), etc and so on

Working from home for our office people only showed we were ready and prepared being in IT for a disaster. Our production folks are churning out record amounts of vitamins as we are health related and essential to keeping people healthy and immune systems up and strong. Our housing market for properties around here, office space, rentals is super tight however when they thought it would get a bit loose this month, will see how May is.

Super Moderator
Wouldn't surprise me to see a push for "voluntary" national testing, immune certification, tracking apps, vaccinations, etc.
"Voluntary" meaning that you don't have to do it, but if you don't, your freedom to move about could/would be restricted for health and safety reasons with potential penalties for non-compliance.

Premium Member
Mark of the.....no travel no food no money. Oh isn't this gonna be great... This is part of an agenda and for those of you who can't see it . Wake Up !!!!!! Does any old timers on this website remember the guy that was talking about what was coming in this world ? Most everyone ridiculed the guy and he disappeared. Well here it is. Yes he was a few years off. I told my neighbor several years ago that things were gonna crash and here it is. I told my girlfriend and a friend that something bad was gonna happen this year and here it is. Many so called conspiracy sites been saying this was coming and here it is. Conspiracy ? Seeing is believing for most and we are living it now but still many in DENIAL...

Discussion Starter #7
When I started this thread I was asking about the changes that will come about. Long-term, systemic, cultural.

One change I've said early on and now the president has verbalized it: we've got to make more stuff in our own country. Globalism has contributed to the shortages. Buying from cheap labor markets overseas has helped the US to "save money and live better." That works until its a life/death matter and you can't get the stuff you need.

Premium Member
I do know how Mr. Worm thinks - this is either part of a bigger things in preparing the general population for compliance lock down or noting general compliance for something sinister .... who knows. Preparedness for something that is inevitably going to happen?

Yes we need to bring back medication production, personal health care item production, vaccine production, and overall all production back here to the USA that should not have left the USA to begin with. This is back to the government and corporations both equally to blame for shifting important production to oversea markets that have little to no quality standards/oversight/or overall care for whats being produced for other countries.

Premium Member
Look at this - using drones to monitor citizens temperatures, health functions (HIPAA anyone), and bodily fluids without their knowledge. Legal ...... ????

Super Moderator
They claim it can't personally identify anyone, so there's no violation of individual privacy. And I saw where they said they could tell if someone was coughing or sneezing through body movement but there was nothing I saw about taking fluid samples.

Eventually all that stuff (and more) probably will be built into your mobile device for constant real time monitoring, and probably in addition to some version of a social credit system. Social Credit System - Wikipedia

Premium Member
Than what - they take you into custody once you are walking down the road with a fever? Pull you aside and force you into a test for sneezing? If it's a monitoring tool and not a research tool explain, research is not done in a public setting without the unwilling consent of the subjects focused in the research (consent forms) don't see how this is not a giant violation of someones personal rights.

Registered
ACLU has been active during the pandemic with monitoring of civil liberties. AG Barr yesterday made an interesting statement about the stay at home scenario.

Premium Member

Unsponsored Baja racer
Not too much change here. Pretty much every truck stop and gas station I visit now has some sort of barrier up to prevent people from breathing on each other, which is odd but doesn't really mess with business in and of itself. Restaurants are only doing takeout, delivery, or drivethru as we all know, and a few Country Pride and Iron Skillet locations are closed altogether, but I never eat in at truckstops when out by myself anyway, and have only been to Iron Skillet once or twice. Never yet to Country Pride. Gas is cheaper now that demand is down, and everybody I know is healthy, as far as I know. Plus even if the inflated numbers were true, I understand that's still fewer people than die from the regular flu on average in the same amount of time?

Discussion Starter #17
Hey Rosso, haven't seen you recently. Welcome back.

Unfortunately I do know a person who has died from this corona virus just a few days ago. He was in otherwise good health and in none of the high risk categories. It can take anybody.

Registered
I work in I.T. I have been just as productive in the last couple of months as I always am. I hope that my management can recognize that. I'm thinking that if the housing market crashes in the next few months I can buy a nice cabin up north, and for the hot part of the months when my kids will be out of school anyways, we can get out of the phx heat, enjoy some cooler weather. often they spend all day inside, nobody wants to go outside when it's 115 degrees for a month straight.

Super Moderator

Super Moderator
So now they want the TSA to start doing temperature checks on passengers before they board:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts