Jeep Patriot Forums banner

Coronavirus Overblown by Media?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,635 Posts
Supposedly, for individuals it starts to phase out at 75k and those with incomes over 99k get nothing.
The income is based on 2019 returns if you've already filed or 2018 returns if you haven't.
For couples the above limits are doubled.

·
Registered
Patriot '09, 2,4 cvt 4wd
38 Posts
I only yust heard an idiot say he's not going to a shut-down because he wants the churches full with Easter.
The outburst for Italy started with a football match of Atalanta Bergamo (north Italy) and spread out over Europe by the Italian ski resorts
People take this seriously. Stay away from gatherings.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I believe the governor's will not need his request, however the President can order Federal employees to work.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Based on CDC numbers between Oct 1st 2019 and Feb 1st 2020 approximately 12,000-30,000 people died in America from influenza. 31 million were infected and 370,000 people went to the hospital. Those are the facts think for yourself.

No matter what happens always remember it’s not the Virus that crashed our economy, it was the state ordered shut down that is responsible for the coming depression!

8 million Americans died from starvation during the great depression and that was back when families had small farms and gardens. Food will be the next toilet paper, so get ready because this is just the beginning.

It’s not the virus you need to worry about; it’s the “people” that created this panic that you should be scared of.

·
Premium Member
10,980 Posts
Our Archdioceses here canceled all Easter services to protect the majority of church attendees (the elderly) so telecommuting with the pope it will be!

The federal checks are supposed to be tax free and not go against your income. I am going to see if I can get an exemption from a few creditors for a month or two since we are down one income with the wife and kids at home.

I do think this whole shutdown thing is a preparedness and compliance litmus test from the government gauging the public's willingness and functionality from staying at home as well as the countries infrastructure and supply chain in case of emergency. Is this a test for something larger???

·
Premium Member
10,980 Posts
Watching too much TV lol :D

·
Registered
Patriot '09, 2,4 cvt 4wd
38 Posts
Experience tells us now that 80% of the people on the IC and suffocating from the desaes is obese.
Guys, you're up for a treat in the states.

·
7,910 Posts
Experience tells us now that 80% of the people on the IC and suffocating from the desaes is obese.
Guys, you're up for a treat in the states.
Ya know, I wish you wouldn't gloat over the misfortune of others. I don't think anyone's death is funny, not a fat person, old person, or anyone else. Please be a little respectful of the rest of humanity.

·
Premium Member
4,066 Posts
Our Archdioceses here canceled all Easter services to protect the majority of church attendees (the elderly) so telecommuting with the pope it will be!

The federal checks are supposed to be tax free and not go against your income. I am going to see if I can get an exemption from a few creditors for a month or two since we are down one income with the wife and kids at home.

I do think this whole shutdown thing is a preparedness and compliance litmus test from the government gauging the public's willingness and functionality from staying at home as well as the countries infrastructure and supply chain in case of emergency. Is this a test for something larger???
Yes it is. You would not believe me if I told you what it is. I'll just say it will not be good.

·
Registered
Patriot '09, 2,4 cvt 4wd
38 Posts
Ya know, I wish you wouldn't gloat over the misfortune of others. I don't think anyone's death is funny, not a fat person, old person, or anyone else. Please be a little respectful of the rest of humanity.
I don't get the feeling you guys take this seriously.
In the poll 65% thinks it's over exaggerated
People talk about money where thousands die
They talk about an influenza where there is a big difference in the way the infected people last the few hours they have.
And yes 80% of the people who die of the desease are obese.
I believe the US has the most infected people now and climbing and I still don't have the feeling you take it seriously

And then you call me blunt.
That's special.

·
7,910 Posts
I think the US is taking this seriously. In my state of New Hampshire our governor has issued a "stay at home" order meaning we only leave our homes for essential travel, e.g. food and medical needs. This will last more than a month -- schools and businesses are all closed. Your country tried a different approach and it didn't work as well as they'd hoped. Caught Between Herd Immunity And National Lockdown, Holland Hit Hard By Covid-19 Just because someone isn't in a high risk category doesn't mean they're safe. And just because someone is in a high risk category doesn't mean they'll die if they catch this virus. We have at least one instance of a 90 year old woman who survived it. VP Pence read her letter publicly a few days ago. As in your country we also have people who were young and otherwise healthy who died from it.

My advice? Avoid interpersonal contact and eat nutritious food. Sadly many people rely on medical care to bail them out.. Too many cases at once can overwhelm the medical system and that's what's happening all over the world.

I have deep respect for the medical people who are going to work every day at the risk of their health and life.

I grieve for the people who grieve -- not even allowed to be at the bedside of a dying family member.

The one lesson for us all is that it could happen again and we need to be prepared. I fear when this is over it will be too soon forgotten.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Lessons will be learned, actions will be changed but I fear in time that all the progress made in changing opinions on hygiene will fade away. I'm disappointed in our government not having a better handle on this virus. We pay lots of people good money to prepare for such epidemics, however our response has been slow, showing lack of coordination between states and the federal levels. Our country needs to do much better in emergency management as there are numerous catastrophic events coming in the future.

·
Registered
Patriot '09, 2,4 cvt 4wd
38 Posts
The last post was about 10 days ago.
In a few country's in Europe we have reached the summit and are carefully thinking of easing down on regulations in a few weeks.
In Spain, Italy, France and Great Britain they are still struggling.
This is due to a high percentage of elderly people and big family's living together (3 generations)
The GB didn't take the risk all to serious at first and they are paying the toll (1000 deaths a day)
The only yust thing is that their PM is also infected and on the IC now.
In my country lot of companies face bankruptcy and people face financial problems.
I believe this is going to linger on for the next coming 2 years.

·
7,910 Posts
Lessons will be learned, actions will be changed but I fear in time that all the progress made in changing opinions on hygiene will fade away. I'm disappointed in our government not having a better handle on this virus. We pay lots of people good money to prepare for such epidemics, however our response has been slow, showing lack of coordination between states and the federal levels. Our country needs to do much better in emergency management as there are numerous catastrophic events coming in the future.
There are lessons to be learned. However, something I learned as a political science major in college is that actual social change comes slowly. A lot can change on the surface very quickly, but changing underlying values takes decades, even centuries. Hygiene and nutrition seem to be big factors in resistance to corona, but for years we have been eating "junk" food, knowing it was "junk" food, and calling it "junk" food, and eating it anyway. As a result obesity, heart conditions, and high-blood pressure -- all risk factors in the corona pandemic. There's nothing wrong with McDonalds, Fritos or Coca-cola . . . except in the quantities we consume them.

I think the government on the federal level and in my state have responded well. Coordination between the federal and state level seems mostly to be in the competency of the individuals involved. For what I can see the federal government and my state have worked well together.

The government was better prepared than I expected. We can't expect them to be totally prepared for once-in-a-century events. Consider that for the last few decades we have been focused on terrorism and climate change. Suddenly a clear and present danger appears. We shouldn't be surprised that the focus was elsewhere until the last minute.. If the president had said in November that there were greater dangers than climate change the media would have laughed him to scorn, parading his ignorance in the headlines. Fortunately the administration was ahead of the curve and had built a strategic reserve. Seems no one is talking about that. Truthfully I had no idea a strategic medical reserve existed. I knew there was a strategic of oil and food, but I wasn't aware that the same was true of medical supplies.

·
Registered
Patriot '09, 2,4 cvt 4wd
38 Posts
Yess, It's going to put our hygiene and nutricion in a new daylight.
But it still is that the yearly flu demands between 250.000-500.000 death cases worldwilde.
Until now we have
-/+ 90.000.
We are still at the beginning for some continents.
HIV scores about 240.000 yearly and Alcohol about 350.000.
I think we are going to top that.
Smoking is 750.000
Cancer 1,17 million
Hunger 2,34 million.
But what really makes this virus unique is the effect it has on stock markets and business worldwide.
So let's rename it from Chinese or corona to mammonvirus.
Stay safe

·
7,910 Posts
Yess, It's going to put our hygiene and nutricion in a new daylight.
But it still is that the yearly flu demands between 250.000-500.000 death cases worldwilde.
Until now we have
-/+ 90.000.
We are still at the beginning for some continents.
HIV scores about 240.000 yearly and Alcohol about 350.000.
I think we are going to top that.
Smoking is 750.000
Cancer 1,17 million
Hunger 2,34 million.
But what really makes this virus unique is the effect it has on stock markets and business worldwide.
So let's rename it from Chinese or corona to mammonvirus.
Stay safe
Mammonvirus -- that's a good one! I think what makes this virus so insidious is that it is so easily transmittable and for a longer period. Also that many people never develop symptoms but can still infect others.

True, the mortality rates for many other things is higher, the problem here is the huge instant influx that has overwhelmed hospitals. Typically we have a better chance of dying from the flu. I wonder if the social distancing and increased hygiene practices will lower the incidence of flu and other communicable diseases in general? I've gotta think so.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I'm disappointed in our government response to the CV. However I can say that in hindsight as I wasn't privy to all the details that went into the responses that continue on. As a government employee, I know that there are so many moving parts to factor in such large decision making that sometimes it comes down to whatever decisions are made, that fault finding will occur. No process is perfect as with the CV, we are all learning as we go.

Will there be permanent society change?? I believe there will be some incremental change if such change comes from top down and reinforced thru the citizens. I believe business will attempt to a degree to protect their stake thru combining and storage of resources to allow a decreased business model to occur in future disasters; unfortunately I feel we're going to see such future disasters as the earth slowly changes into whatever the finality will be. Buckle up, the future will be quite an adventure in a Jeep 👍

61 - 80 of 80 Posts