Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Snow is coming this week. These are the tires I want! But that’s the closest size to fit Patriot it comes in. I have been crunching these numbers for a while now. Seems like it will fit, only a .4” wider. I did the RRO lift. The Altimax RT43 225/65-17 are on it now and they are 9” wide with 28.5” diameter, when I run my hand all around it there’s plenty of room, and the these are 9.4” wide with 29.06” diameter. Can anyone verify fit?

·
Super Moderator
4,158 Posts
Several people have used that size:

They'll fit but might rub on the pinch weld or the wheel well at full lock.
You might need to add 1.25" wheel spacers if you have factory rims.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I can't verify fit, but don't forget that those size differences can be cut in half. I.E., 0.4 inches wider means that the inside of the tire is 0.2 inches wider and the other 0.2 inches is on the tire outside. Same thing for the diameter - the half inch difference is split on both "sides". It's hard to believe the bigger tire would rub. Good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sandstone- thanks for the link, but I have read that one over and over before trying to convince myself 😁. But today I finally got the kick I needed from you guys to go forward. I am thinking though if I do wind up needing spacers wouldn’t 1/2” or 1” spacers do.

·
Super Moderator
4,158 Posts
Personally, I don't like to use spacers, and in some states they're illegal.

I think 1.25" is as small as you can go for a spacer that securely bolts to the hub:

The thinner spacers slide over the studs on the hub, which means less bolt for the lug nut.
I wouldn't use or recommend them, but to each his own:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now I can’t decide between these cooper discoverer M-S or the Goodyear ultra grip which do come in 225/65-1. These will be my dedicated winter tires.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One last VERY important factor. Will the 235/65-17 fit into the spare tire well/recess. This will be the determining factor as I will not travel w/o a matching spare.
thanks all.

·
Super Moderator
4,158 Posts
I think the biggest/widest tire that you can put in the spare well and still fully close the deck is 215/65R17. The 225/65/17 is wider and the deck rests on it.

"I replaced the original tires, including the full-sized spare, with 225/65R17, on the original rims. The diameter fits in the spare tire well no problem, but the cargo floor is now resting on the spare and is raised about 1/16" from flush. I don't think you would be able to get a 235mm tire in there."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Why not run the Cooper Revolution Winter? Has great reviews and comes in the factory size so no worries about rubbing or speedo being off

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why not run the Cooper Revolution Winter? Has great reviews and comes in the factory size so no worries about rubbing or speedo being off
That was an option but I thought that tread pattern would make it noisey. What do you think of the Toyo Observe gsi-5. Impressive check out the materials used in it’s making and reasoning behind it. Great reviews

1 - 11 of 11 Posts