Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've smelled coolant 'a little' since the last time the dealership worked on the vehicle during the second transmission replacement. Doesn't seem to be leaking anywhere, at least not to the ground etc. While checking oil, I noticed it was at the add line. I swung by the auto parts store to get some coolant, and they didn't have anything compatible... great. So I went to the dealer and picked up the appropriate purple coolant, but..... My jeep is loaded with Orange coolant.

Why would a Jeep dealership sell me a jeep with the wrong coolant in it? I'm assuming now instead of simple adding a few cups of coolant to Cosmo (Yeah, it's now named Cosmo due to it looking like the cosmos at night when the light hits the pearly bits in the paint.), I'll have to go through some form of elaborate flushing procedure etc. My pal at the dealership (Parts Mgr) verified it should be filled with purple goodness, and after asking the service folks, says it should be swapped.

Thoughts? Should I go back to the dealership I detest who sold me the problematic vehicle and have THEM do it? i already mixed up the coolant and distilled water, so can't really return it etc... I ended up adding a few cups of distilled water to keep the level nice, but am simply perturbed.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I would go back to the dealership to have it serviced properly after calling the corporate folks and make sure management at the dealership knows about it.

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
8,966 Posts
Sounds like a job for JeepCares. Reach out to them with a PM. They should shepherd you through the process.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
It may not be the wrong coolant. They changed types somewhere in the Patriot production, but either coolant will be fine if it's not mixed with the other.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
There's a number of Google hits about Chrysler coolant colors changing. First, it seems that at the time of the coolant transition to OAT, the Fiat product was orange while the MOPAR product was purple. Some people think that its possible that some vehicles received the orange product or that service people added some orange HOAT that changed the purple color. Other threads talk about how the purple coolant can change colors and "appear" to be pink or orangish.

Here's a couple of links:
ATTENTION: Know Your Jeep JK Wrangler Coolants
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/is-this-hoat-or-oat-1050513.html
https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum...on/9571-what-color-your-kool-aid-coolant.html

Unfortunately, it will be difficult to determine what product you have and it might be in your best interest to flush the system and install the proper coolant.

·
Registered
95 Posts
MrChips, you are not alone.

On my 2015 Jeep Patriot 2.4L, I smell just a "WHIFF" of coolant all the time when parked and engine running.

·
Administrator
2014 2.0 5-spd FWD
8,966 Posts
Forgot to mention, I smell coolant from our Wrangler (3.8 V6), particularly when its been out in snow. Sometimes I can see steam rising from the radiator. Fluid level doesn't seem to drop. Dealership can't explain it. Its 9 years old now so I'm not laying awake worrying about it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts