Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought the following bumper to replace my Australian version.

It will have 2 benefits I believe:
1) a better approach angle
2) the ability to install tow hooks

PSX_20210704_113329.jpg

Does anyone know if the part itself is a direct swap over?

Secondly, how do I know if I need to replace the metal reinforced bumper to accommodate the hooks?

And lastly, the postage on these items (a new reinforced bumper and tow hooks) is crazy to Australia via all the websites I've found.

I don't need the reinforced bumper or the tow hooks to be brand new, as no one will really see either. A little different with the lower fascia that everyone sees which is why I bought that new.

Can anyone help source the reinforced bumper and hooks on the cheap for me?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just bought the tow hooks from USA. $510AUD, gonna be an expensive project.

So I've got the front bottom fascia and the hooks on their way.

What's the deal with the reinforced bumper??

·
Registered
264 Posts
Didn't think I had a pic of the bumper floating around but apparently I do. If your bumper looks like this under the fascia you should be golden.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Also I will say, it was a much bigger pain in the butt to install them into the normal bumper compared to the RRO winch bumper. If it turns out yours doesn't work with the tow hooks, that could be an option.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks 16 latitude and flamewave.

The RRO winch bumper isn't an option. Everything I buy from the USA to Australia has crazy prices attached.

The lower fascia was about $300AUD and the tow hooks were $550AUD with delivery. If I need to get the proper reinforcement bumper, that's going to be about another $400AUD.

For some reason the US likes to charge crazy prices to ship things to Australia. It's most definitely not the same the other way around (i.e. from Australia to US).

I don't want to get the bumper if I don't need to, and the winch bumper is out of the question with shipping fees.

Loving all the feedback, what a great site!!!

·
Use the SEARCH feature
1,587 Posts
I would have to think the inner steel is the same, but not 100% sure.
The odd thing is there have been threads on this, but not much as far as answers.

Please do take pics and share your results/learnings!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks breadtruck. I'll definitely take photos if I do it myself. I'm finding it difficult to find YouTube clips or tutorials on how to remove the lower front bumper fascia for a post 2011 model Patriot though. Plenty videos for pre 2011, none that I can find for my model. Might have to take it in and have it professionally done, which would mean only before and after photos

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PSX_20210712_190937.jpg

The only issue I can foresee is if I don't have the correct reinforcement bumper then part "C" on the image won't be able to slot/click into place as intended.

Here's the part:

PSX_20210712_191847.jpg

PSX_20210712_191829.jpg

If that's the case, I'm pretty sure an easy workaround solution would be drilling the 2 holes into the reinforced bumper section and flattening out that tow hook bracket with pliers and a hammer. Would be a lot cheaper than sourcing a new reinforcement bumper for about $500 with delivery to Australia.

Thoughts???

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: I checked the front reinforcement bumper and it was obvious I had to order a different one. Both the lower fascia and reinforced bumper are close to being delivered. Have spent about $1000AUD all up and I've decided to do the process myself. I'll take pictures and post them when it's done. Super excited to have a recoverable Jeep in my driveway soon!

I still find it amazing that an FDII upgrade was about $800 at the time these patriots were new! Well worth it for the metal skid plate, tow hooks and "low range".

Oh well, they're not available here and I'm happy I don't have the CVT.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
By the way... I ordered a front reinforcement bumper from a pre 2011 vehicle for my 2014 model. I'm praying that it will fit. Anyone have any insight to this?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
PSX_20210717_174028.jpg

This is what I bought for my 2014 Jeep Patriot. I think it came off a 2009 model. All good???

·
Registered
264 Posts
Looks right to me, has all the right slots for the plate that tabs in.

When you go to swap it out, could you post some pics of your original bumper? I'm curious to see what the difference is.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm more concerned about the bolt holes lining up with the chassis. The tow hooks are definitely designed for this bumper, let's hope the bumper is designed for my car!!

Will post lots of pics 😁

Reactions: Flamewave

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oops, did a double post

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've bought all the tools/parts required, I've received the lower fascia and the hooks in the mail and the steel reinforcement bumper bar isn't far off!

I'm pretty confident about taking the front end off as I've watched several videos now.

My two main concerns at the moment are that the steel reinforcement bar fits my vehicle and I'm not sure about the lower "splash guard" as I think it's called... The piece of plastic where a steel skid plate would go.

The lower splash guard seems to have several bolts attaching it to my current lower fascia, and those holes are not present in the USA version of the lower fascia. It might need trimming or something, not an adventure that I'm keen on!

The one awesome thing is how much my approach angle will increase by with the USA lower fascia, there's a big difference! Our Australian models come with a 20 degree approach angle when stock, not ideal for any kind of serious off roading.

Hopefully the job is straight forward so I can take lots of pictures... If it's a PITA I might be more focussed on the job rather than photos.

Thanks for everyone's help so far!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think all up I'm about $1000 AUD deep into this project, so it bloody better all come together!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
im sure someone in the states would pay top dollar for your stock bumper and you could make back some of that cash
I didn't even think about that!

I do recall reading several threads on here about people in the US wanting the euro bumper bar!

Screenshot_20210801-173658.png

Well here's my running expenditure on my conversion.

If anyone wants my lower fascia (excellent condition) I'd be happy to part with it for around $220 USD delivered to recover my costs. Not sure if you guys would need the euro reinforcement bar too?

Thanks for the heads up!

Edit: if I'm breaking forum rules by posting that here, someone let me know and I'll put it in the correct place

1 - 20 of 25 Posts