Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to know if anyone has converted their 4x4 Patriot to 2x4?

Ive had the old gears fall out the gearbox trick, and 4x4 gearboxes do not exist.

Ive bought a 2wd gearbox and will get a longer drive shaft and different gearbox mount near the firewall. I'll remove the PTU and tailshaft also.

Anything else?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just wanted to know if anyone has converted their 4x4 Patriot to 2x4?

Ive had the old gears fall out the gearbox trick, and 4x4 gearboxes do not exist.

Ive bought a 2wd gearbox and will get a longer drive shaft and different gearbox mount near the firewall. I'll remove the PTU and tailshaft also.

Anything else?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a progress report, 2wd gearbox bolted up perfectly, shares 2 gearbox mounts but not the one near the firewall. Everything else is the same including shifter cables, clutch, clutch line, starter etc. Left hand driveshaft/axle is also the same.

Removed tailshaft but I needed stilsons to hold tailshaft, as it turned even with rear wheels on the ground and handbrake on

Will get a right hand side drive shaft and rear gearbox mount from a wreckers and should be good to go!

Was much easier to put a 2wd gearbox in, so much more room!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Interesting. I think you didn't get a lot of traction on your thread since most people would not want to convert their 4x4 to a 4x2, but you never know.

·
8,433 Posts
Interesting switch from 4x4 to 4x2. I'm sure it's easier than going the other way. However, I'm surprised there aren't more 4x4 trannies out there. Seems most Patriots are 4x4; I'm the oddball with two 4x2s.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts