Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Consumer Reports - December 2007
Auto Report: Small SUVs

Just got my hands on a copy of the December 2007 edition of Consumer Reports [CR] magazine. The first thing that caught my attention on the issue's cover was a headline promoting a 'Small SUV' review inside. My interest aroused, I quickly opened up the magazine to the index page to learn what vehicles had been reviewed in the hope that the Jeep Patriot had been included and, if yes, to see how it had fared overall and against the competition.

The good news is the Patriot was included in the review (along with the Ford Escape, Kia Sportage, Saturn View, Kia Rondo and Suzuki SX4); the not-so-good news is apparently the people at CR don't think much of the Patriot. Out of 17 small SUVs ranked by the magazine, our Patriot ended up in a dismal 16th place just one step ahead of the Grand Prize loser Dodge Nitro. While I hadn't expected the Patriot to place first ahead of the Honda CR-V or the Toyota RAV4, I did think that the Patriot would easily earn a Top Ten spot and perhaps even make the Top Five. Boy what do I know? Nothing I guess because the Patriot wasn't even a remote contender having scored just half the number of points as the pack-leading RAV4.

Frankly I was shocked when I read these results because while I know the Jeep Patriot isn't perfect, it does do most everything that a driver expects from a vehicle in its class and price range pretty darn well. Plus it scores bonus points for being endearingly handsome or cute, depending on your gender predisposition.

Our personal fondness for the Patriot aside, I can only conclude after reading the review that either all of us here at JP.com are delusional fanboys and fangirls OR that the automobile testing staff at Consumer Reports puts something other than tobacco in their pipes. :p

Below find graphical links to the four pertinent Jeep Patriot pages from CR's latest review. Just click on each of the four thumbnail pages to download the full-sized page to your computer. A word to the wise: You might wish to get these pages while the getting's good .. just in the event they somehow disappear without warning.

In any case, read what the magazine has to say about our beloved Jeep Patriot and then post your comments and feedback back to this thread. I'm certain the CR review will stimulate some interesting discussions and that a passionate outpouring of opinion will ensue.

Finally to end on a weirdly positive note, be thankful you weren't born a lower than low, dirtier than dirt Dodge Nitro: it seems the professional pundits have labelled it as being beyond all hope or redemption.

Irish Waif ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Looking at the figures on page 4, the Patriot is very close to the other 3 SUV's in all the catagories.
They say poor excelleration, but the numbers are very close to the others.
They didn't mention how the others made out on there rock climb trail? Probably didn't try them.
I havn't got mine yet but from the test ride I did, all areas of the vehicle seemed fine. Rides alot smoother then my 89 cherokee.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Elsewhere on this site ... I posted a link to a report on CR's credibility issues.
They have some major issues to iron out before I take their reviews seriously.
HoosierMud,
I believe this is the Consumer Reports article you referenced:

2007 Jeep Patriot: First Look
21st-century Cherokee heir disappoints

BTW thanks for the reminder: I had intended include a link to this earlier CR write up in my initial post but forgot about it in the rush to get the Dec 2007 article uploaded to my webserver.

Irish Waif ;)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Heh... The Dodge Caliber is at the bottom of the barrel too in the Wagons/Hatches section. The report does sound a bit off, especially the fact that they rated the Patriot's transmission with "Excellent". ;)

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there a page on the Compass?
Nonames,

No, nothing about the Compass in this issue .. in fact it isn't even referenced, let alone reviewed. However if and when they do review the Compass or I discover an already published review of the Compass by the magazine, I'll be sure to post a notice as well as a link to the article if available, otherwise I'll just upload the relevant pages to my webserver.

BTW Nonames, when it comes to the Compass I'm in your corner. Although I love the Patriot, I've found that the Compass's unique styling has grown on me: so much so that it's going to be a tough decision when I finally plunk down my money for a new Jeep in the next few weeks as to which one of the 'Dynamic Duo' I ultimately purchase.

Gosh, first I struggled with color slection and now I'm stumbling over which of the two models I prefer. I guess ideally if I were married and money was no object, I'd buy one of each for the 'Love of my Life' and myself to mix, match and share :).

Irish Waif ;)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Let me tell a short story about the ethics of CR. In th mid 80's I owned a Suzuki 4x4. In one issue they said they were the next best thing to sliced bread and in 4 issues later it was the worst vehicle ever buillt, a death trap and should be banned from the roads. That issue destroyed the re-sale value. When no response was forth coming from Suzuki demanding a retraction or at least proving what they said a class action suit was brought by a group of owners. It was proven in court that contrary to what CR says about not excepting advertising they do except substantial donations (Suzuki had donated the previous year). It seems that Suzuki declined to bribe them for a favorable review so they retaliated by trashing a fine little 4x4. So take what ever you read within their pages with a grain-of-salt. By the way I was part of the settlement and received the market value of my Suzuki from the court ordered settlement.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No, nothing about the Compass in this issue .. in fact it isn't even referenced, let alone reviewed.
Nonames,

Apparently I was a bit hasty and erred :eek: in my reply to your question asking if the Compass had been reviewed in the December 2007 issue of Consumer Reports. Upon closer inspection, I discovered that in the 'Ratings' illustration on page two (Pg2) of the four pages I uploaded earlier, the Compass is indeed included in the rankings and earned a spot two places higher than the Patriot on the list: coming in at 14th and scoring a full nine points more than the Pat. Go figure?

Also, I checked the 'one year index of articles' page of CR's current issue and discovered that the Compass has already been reviewed by the magazine back in February 2007. So I'll see if I can dig up that issue in the next few days and then post it to this thread.

HTH my friend,
Irish Waif ;)

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Let me tell a short story about the ethics of CR ... So take what ever you read within their pages with a grain-of-salt. By the way I was part of the settlement and received the market value of my Suzuki from the court ordered settlement.
Tiburon,

Many thanks for sharing your story. I'm not totally wet behind the ears but I've got to say that hearing of your experience is deeply troubling to me, though I'm somewhat heartened to have learned that, at least in this instance, the legal system worked for you and the other class action plaintiffs.

Let's see now: Consumer Report's can't be trusted, there were no WMDs in Iraq and rumor has it that Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny are inventions of creative human minds - not to mention that the Tooth Fairy reportedly wears dentures! Honestly, I don't think I take much more bad news today.

Seriously though, it is really sad to learn that an iconic institution like Consumers Reports and its related foundation have somewhere along the line or perhaps always been less than completely ethical and transparent in the manner they go about their work. I'm one of the many who actually trusted their assessments of products, though I'm sometimes disagreed.

BTW, on a lighter note, thanks for including a snapshot of yourself with your new Patriot in your post; believe it or not, I actually did envision you looking like the guy in your Avatar.

Kind Regards my friend,
Irish Waif ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Nonames,

BTW Nonames, when it comes to the Compass I'm in your corner. Although I love the Patriot, I've found that the Compass's unique styling has grown on me: so much so that it's going to be a tough decision when I finally plunk down my money for a new Jeep in the next few weeks as to which one of the 'Dynamic Duo' I ultimately purchase.

Gosh, first I struggled with color slection and now I'm stumbling over which of the two models I prefer. I guess ideally if I were married and money was no object, I'd buy one of each for the 'Love of my Life' and myself to mix, match and share :).

Irish Waif ;)

Decisions, decisions! Its funny you mention color because Black is the only color I like the compass in. Any other color and I think its kinda blah and I own one!

Same thing goes for the patriot but I do like the Orange.

Nonames,

Apparently I was a bit hasty and erred :eek: in my reply to your question asking if the Compass had been reviewed in the December 2007 issue of Consumer Reports. Upon closer inspection, I discovered that in the 'Ratings' illustration on page two (Pg2) of the four pages I uploaded earlier, the Compass is indeed included in the rankings and earned a spot two places higher than the Patriot on the list: coming in at 14th and scoring a full nine points more than the Pat. Go figure?

Also, I checked the 'one year index of articles' page of CR's current issue and discovered that the Compass has already been reviewed by the magazine back in February 2007. So I'll see if I can dig up that issue in the next few days and then post it to this thread.

HTH my friend,
Irish Waif ;)
I would really like the see that article! Thanks so much for posting this. It is stange the the patriot and the Compass didn't score the same. Maybe its because of the much better styling of the compas? :eek:

I also find the numbers on the left confusing. So are they automatically rating all of the Compact SUVs better then the Hatchbacks? It doesn't make much sense to me.

Thanks Irish!​

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
I think the reviewer gave his hidden bias away when he complained that the Patriot didn't have a middle headrest in the rear seat area. Now I learn about those "Donations" something stinks here!

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also find the numbers on the left confusing. So are they automatically rating all of the Compact SUVs better then the Hatchbacks? It doesn't make much sense to me.
Nonames,

Now that you mention it, me too! The illustration does appear to show all wagons & hatchbaks ranked below the small SUVs, but I don't think that's what they mean. Maybe another JP.com Forum participant like Tiburon can explain their logic since he's seems quite familiar with how Consumer Reports does business.

On the subject on color, I agree with you that black - especially 2008's Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat which bears an uncanny resemblance to Subaru's perennial favorite 'Obsidian Black' - looks great on both the Compass and the Patriot. I know myself though and how infrequently I wash my vehicles, so a lighter more 'schmutz freundlich' color is a safer bet for me. I also find what appears to be the dark grey color of the Euro-spec Compass whose photo I posted earlier in this thread to be quite fetching, but I'm not aware that it was ever offered here in North America.

As mentioned before, I'll upload CR's Jeep Compass review after I find it in one of the seemingly innumerable cardboard boxes I packed up for a recent move.

Irish Waif ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I believe the article reviewed the Trail Rated Patriot with the CVT2 which makes it somewhat heavier and the gear ratios are lower therefore a bit slower 0-60. Plus if I'm not wrong it was the only 4 cylinder in the batch that was reviewed. Hardly fair comparisons to 6 cylinder cars that are not Trail Rated.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just got my 4x4 Patriot Limited last week, with the manual transmission, and I think it has plenty of get-up-and-go. I find it to be an all around wonderful car. No flappen hood problems, gets lots of stares, so far almost 400 miles 60% highway and 27.2mpg.....not bad at all for the little guy!

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
I understand that the Patriot engine is detuned by the computer during the break-in period to reduce stress on a new engine. I have 1,000 miles on mine and I have to say that it has very impressive go for a 4 cylinder 4x4 vehicle. She has all the oomph I want, and this is from a guy who once owned a car that went from 0 to 60 in about 6 seconds, and could do over 60 mph in first gear. Obviously the Patriot can't do THAT, but it is no embarrassment either.

·
Registered
159 Posts
CR is like any other business, profit is the bottom line. When they first tested the Suzuki along with several other vehicles they used a 75ft test circle to determine minimum rollover speed. The Suzuki placed second overall(the CJ was the first to roll) in the test. With the next so called test they tested only the Suzuki in a 55 ft circle and rolled at a higher speed than was used to test the other vehicles. The court determined that this was done on purpose to discredit Suzuki, the reason was as I said, Suzuki declined to pay a bribe to the magazine for a favorable report in an upcomeing retest of "all" the previously tested vehicles used in the last test. The records of the case are public record. Available to the public in Santa Clara, California.

·
~RIOT*GRRL~
1,217 Posts
Dean would shi* if he saw that Hyundai made second place... granted, I really dig the styling of the Santa Fe, but as hubz is always quick to remind me, "There's a reason why it's Hyundai and not Honda!"

P.S. As far as the Riot review is concerned, to borrow a lyric from one of my favorite 311 songs, "[Screw] the naysayers cuz they don't mean a thing cuz this is what style we bring!"

:p

1 - 20 of 59 Posts