Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Early in 2009 there as much concern about the quality of chysler vehicles. This the issue was brought up again by the government during the bailout of Chrysler.

A big issue was JD Powers. See a quick story here

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.co...610-Chrysler-Fiat-Both-Face-Quality-Concerns/

Here's some great preliminary news to counter some of those claims!

Automakers recalled about 20 million vehicles in 2010. Largest since 2004 (30.8 million recalls).

Toyota - 7.1 million
GM - 4 million
Honda - 2 million
nissan - 2 million
Chrysler - 1.5 million
Ford - 500,000

toyota + gm + honda + nissan + ford = 15.6 million

Keep in mind these are preliminary and final numbers wont be available until 2011.

- Dan M

·
Registered
233 Posts
It doesn't necessarily mean that Chrysler's cars are better. It might just be that the manufacturer wasn't as 'up-front' as the others are. However, the Jeep Patriot I own seems pretty reliable.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Parts suppliers often make parts for different auto manufacturers. But sometimes they do.

The QC at the manufacturing plant should check the components before shipping to the assembly plant.

Seems like Chrylser's suppliers could have better QC or the QC at the assembly plant is catching more problems.

I've had 2 recalls on my avenger.
1. TPMS
2. shifter assembly (plastic piece holding a spring breaks).

I don't think I've had any recalls on my Patriot.

My friend has a 2007 GMC Sierra QC Z71. The dealer is working with him on some oil consumption issues (uses 2+ quarts of oil per oil change). If the deflector the dealer installed does not work, he gets new rings and pistons.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t119671.html

- Dan M

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Early in 2009 there as much concern about the quality of chysler vehicles. This the issue was brought up again by the government during the bailout of Chrysler.

A big issue was JD Powers. See a quick story here

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.co...610-Chrysler-Fiat-Both-Face-Quality-Concerns/

Here's some great preliminary news to counter some of those claims!

Automakers recalled about 20 million vehicles in 2010. Largest since 2004 (30.8 million recalls).

Toyota - 7.1 million
GM - 4 million
Honda - 2 million
nissan - 2 million
Chrysler - 1.5 million
Ford - 500,000

toyota + gm + honda + nissan + ford = 15.6 million

Keep in mind these are preliminary and final numbers wont be available until 2011.

- Dan M
You need to take market share into account in those numbers. In 2009, Chrysler had a little less of the market then Honda, so those numbers can be compared. Ford and GM are close as well.
The only impressive numbers there are from Ford.....which was also the only company that didn't need to be bailed out by the GOV.

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
Yeah, but don't forget that Toyota had to be dragged by their nuts, kickin' and screamin' into the position where they were prepared to do a recall. And then only after a couple of incontrovertible tapes of innocent families dying were released to the world at large.
Even after that their CEO sent his on the spot lackey to do the apologising so that he himself wouldn't lose face.

Rocal

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
I wrote yesterday that Toyota had to be dragged into making a recall over their accident rates. Well, talk about co-incidence, in today's copy of the London "Times" there's actually a diagram (which I can't print out for you 'cos my scanner's broken) about this very issue. It shows the four degrees of "sorry" in a Japanese bow.

1: a mere nod of the head which says, "sorry about that". ie; accidentally bumping into you while getting off the bus.

2; a teensy bit of a bend from the waist that says, "I'm rather cut up about that". ie; missing your birthday, forgetting to send you a Christmas card.

3; a bow from the waist that brings your upper body parallel to the ground, meaning, "I'm truly, truly sorry", about breaking it off with you, it really wasn't your fault.

4; A bow involving kneeling on the floor and touching the head on the ground. Probably about one step above stabbing yourself in the stomach and falling on your face.

Guess which one Akio Toyoda, the president of Toyota Motors, chose in order to say sorry for a couple of dozen people being killed in his cars and for scaring the living crap out of about fifty million Toyota owners worldwide?

NUMBER TWO!!

Rocal

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Ford borrowed billions of dollars before the recession to restructure their company after experiencing years of poor sales. It got lucky by HAVING to borrow money before the others did when credit terms were later unfavorable (and lending nearly froze). Don't give them more credit than they deserve, lol!

But like Hitzy said the numbers, however accurate or inaccurate they may be, the companies share different numbers in the markets and the report should consider how many vehicles each sold. Lambhorgini recalling dozens of cars may seem real swell until you realize they sold less than 2,000 and not millions. However, I saw a lot of late model Fords on the side of the road with no drivers and highway saftey markers this year, compared to a couple 20year-old Jeeps :p

Though considering Chrysler is a smaller auto company and does not have to sell as many cars to stay afloat like ancient Ford or Toyota, that is a rather high percentage of recalls on their part. Though what are the recalls for? Failing transmissions, malfunctioning accelerators and brakes, or wonky luxury items (TMPS, entertainment) and inconveniences? Weight should be applied to the reasons for recalling before everyone starts judging.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts