Jeep Patriot Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
7,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
https://www.caranddriver.com/jeep/compass

" . . . We'd also choose the standard six-speed manual, as it can hardly be worse than the optional nine-speed automatic we've tested . . ."
So far mine has not failed, but it is the weirdest transmission I've ever had. Strangest part is the gap between 5 and 4 when downshifting. There is a significant lag, as in a few seconds. That's a long time.

It may just be too complex to be practical or durable. Time will tell.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2019-jeep-cherokee-v-6-awd-test-review

https://www.caranddriver.com/jeep/compass

"Buyers with serious off-roading on the docket will only be satisfied by the purpose-built Trailhawk, but it's at the high end of the Compass's price bracket. For those who want most of the performance, the Latitude model is a good choice. We'd spec ours with all-wheel drive, a no-cost option in this trim. We'd also choose the standard six-speed manual, as it can hardly be worse than the optional nine-speed automatic we've tested; for those disinclined to shift for themselves, the automatic adds $1500."

After reading the above reviews from Car and Driver, I could consider a down the road replacement for our 2015 Patriot as the Compass with the 6 speed stick transmission since I am the only driver in our family.
If you put any stock in what Car and Driver have to say then how did you end up with a Patriot? For it's entire life cycle all they did was bash it and the first gen Compass.

·
Registered
833 Posts
All the stuff I have read about the 9 speed ZF transmission on the Cherokee forum and others probably has caused me to shy away from it more than any other reason. I recently found out that a manual transmission is no longer available on the 2019 Jeep Renegade. I hope our Patriot lives for a long long time.

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,098 Posts
All the stuff I have read about the 9 speed ZF transmission on the Cherokee forum and others probably has caused me to shy away from it more than any other reason. I recently found out that a manual transmission is no longer available on the 2019 Jeep Renegade. I hope our Patriot lives for a long long time.
People like to complain about the 9 speed, but they actually don't understand how it works.

I have it in my 2014 Cherokee Zero issues, I also have it in my 2016 Cherokee, zero issues.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/02/zfs-9-speed-9hp-transmission-puts-dog-clutches-on-the-leash/

It's a good read and explains how it works. The shifts are imperceptible in regular driving you don't hear/feel anything other than see the rpms drop. Under full throttle it shifts crisp and fast.

I get that people will read something online and shy away from it, but do yourself a favor and actually go drive a vehicle with a 9 speed and you might be pleasantly surprised

·
Fiat Cherokar
3,098 Posts
So far mine has not failed, but it is the weirdest transmission I've ever had. Strangest part is the gap between 5 and 4 when downshifting. There is a significant lag, as in a few seconds. That's a long time.

It may just be too complex to be practical or durable. Time will tell.
Read my last post, dog clutches that explains the slightly longer shift

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,532 Posts
yes the latter years added like nine inches or so to the patriots height starting in 2011, if im not mistaken?
9 inches is alot of lift. They added a single inch to the FD1 Patriots so they would have the same ground clearance as the FD2, approximately 9 inches. FWD 2011-2017 have the same ground clearance and apparent sag as the probably 95% or more of 2007-2010 Patriots that weren't bought with FD2.

·
7,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Read my last post, dog clutches that explains the slightly longer shift
Aside from the gap between 5 and 4, its overall pretty smooth. That gap, however, comes right where you want it when using the transmission to descend hills.

The ZF is a tiny transmission and incredibly light -- that's probably why its so popular among many manufacturers. If you've got a lot of time on your hands you can watch this:
It says "Part 2 of 2" but it seems to explain everything.

·
Registered
601 Posts
9 inches is alot of lift. They added a single inch to the FD1 Patriots so they would have the same ground clearance as the FD2, approximately 9 inches. FWD 2011-2017 have the same ground clearance and apparent sag as the probably 95% or more of 2007-2010 Patriots that weren't bought with FD2.
Maybe I was misinformed then. I read somewhere the 2011 patriots are higher than 2010 and previous models

·
7,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Maybe I was misinformed then. I read somewhere the 2011 patriots are higher than 2010 and previous models
The FWD models got that inch. Parking Ignatz (2008) and Bullwinkle (2014) next to each other on a level surface, one could just about see the difference.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,532 Posts
Maybe it was that FWD got the old FD1 height, or Ignatz fell victim to the spring sag and that's the difference you saw. But 2011-2017 FD1 are definitely a single inch taller than 2007-2010 FD1 models.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I must have confused the nine inch Freedom drive with the one inch difference that started with the 2011 models.

I remember doing research on the patriot and a user mentioned the inch difference makes a difference.

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,532 Posts
Yes, 2010 was the last year that FD2 sat an inch higher than FD1. Starting 2011 all 4wd models had the standard 9-inch height, which had previously been exclusive to FD2. That's probably where you got the 9 inches. FWD still sat lower than any 4x4 model. And yes, every inch makes a difference off-road, but as long as you're not ripping pieces off, traction and torque are a bit more important. That's why so many complain about "lack of power", when it has power but just doesn't always put it to the ground like many are accustomed to.

·
Registered
601 Posts
The FWD models got that inch. Parking Ignatz (2008) and Bullwinkle (2014) next to each other on a level surface, one could just about see the difference.
I just re-ead this thread . You're very knowledgeable , impressive.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts