Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Darren from London , UK , here. Wondering if you could help me with a body styling question.

My Pat is a 2.4L 2008 Silver "Limited" edition. Silver mostly except the black plastics (door handles, mirror housings, weather strip on boot. I want to colour all these black components to match the, silver - such is the "trend" here in the UK.

I considered the chrome detailing covers for all those but my concern is that they make the Pat look "cheap". So perhaps better would be to spray the covers with plastic spray:- a primer and then silver top coat. May I ask you good folk on here what spray I should use - better still , have you actually used one to do this mod and have a pic?

Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Answering my own question here, but in case anyone else searches...

I found a great kit

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi

Darren from London , UK , here. Wondering if you could help me with a body styling question.

My Pat is a 2.4L 2008 Silver "Limited" edition. Silver mostly except the black plastics (door handles, mirror housings, weather strip on boot. I want to colour all these black components to match the, silver - such is the "trend" here in the UK.

I considered the chrome detailing covers for all those but my concern is that they make the Pat look "cheap". So perhaps better would be to spray the covers with plastic spray:- a primer and then silver top coat. May I ask you good folk on here what spray I should use - better still , have you actually used one to do this mod and have a pic?

Thanks
Depends if you want a smooth paint texture like the rest if the bodywork or your happy for the plastic texture to show through.
Can I ask do you have access to spray equipment? I can help you through the process either way 👍
Paul

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Paul, thanks for replying.
No - I don't use a compressor or gun; I do minor repairs to my cars, scuff / scratch removal - that sort of thing; well, to be honest, I repair ABS, Fibreglass, Plastics and Body Panels on motorbikes; but this is the first time on a car. The paint kit has arrived - looks good and on the colour; I've got the 5x wet&dry grades; and I'm thinking of spraying that black rear strip on the step under the boot [whatever it's called and however you remove it??]. Will go for plastic primer on it , 4x coats on thin, and 2x clear lacquers. Not sure whether to keep it black or code it the the colour (silver). I have both options. The "thing" is worn, faded, full of wax marks (those ghastly white patches).
What's your view Paul?
Daz

Depends if you want a smooth paint texture like the rest if the bodywork or your happy for the plastic texture to show through.
Can I ask do you have access to spray equipment? I can help you through the process either way 👍
Paul

1 - 4 of 4 Posts