Jeep Patriot Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
The Sticker Whore
2,577 Posts
^ I think he mentioned that it'd be slimmer so yea you probably could fit a slightly wider tire. I'm super friggin interested in this! It'd cost a lot more but could possibly give us a little more lift and a bit of extra flex and travel!

·
Regular Schlub
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
on the patriot, I think this would almost be a better lift than the RRO... I wonder if it would allow you to fit a bigger wheel, as it seems that the strut forces you to stick to under 30"
Yeah most likely better than a RRO (well except for price). With the right spring rate/dampening coilovers would offer better ride/handling both on & offroad.

Coilovers would be a big win for non-FDII & older than 2011 Pats because they would get the same ride height as a FDII/2011+ w/the RRO kit. Plus their old springs/struts are probably failing anyway.

We just need to measure how much the factory suspension tucks & droops and what the physical limitations are. If the strut is the limitation then coilovers could provide more suspension travel assuming nothing else binds.

If we were serious about it, we'd need one of you 4x4 guys to check the suspension travel in the rear. Mine is a 4x2 and with no rear axles it might be a little different.

A couple other thoughts:

It would be cheaper to use camber bolts up front than to have adjustable camber plates on the coilovers... but camber plates would be really cool and might be a good option for those willing to spend a few extra bucks.

We'd still need a way to adjust rear camber with coilovers, so something like the adjustable upper control arms that come with the RRO could would be necessary (and would add extra cost).

·
Regular Schlub
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Oh and just realized coilovers would be a no-brainer no anyone with Tag bumpers are they'd be able to recover the lost ride height from the additional weight.

·
The Sticker Whore
2,577 Posts
We just need to measure how much the factory suspension tucks & droops and what the physical limitations are. If the strut is the limitation then coilovers could provide more suspension travel assuming nothing else binds.

If we were serious about it, we'd need one of you 4x4 guys to check the suspension travel in the rear. Mine is a 4x2 and with no rear axles it might be a little different.

A couple other thoughts:

It would be cheaper to use camber bolts up front than to have adjustable camber plates on the coilovers... but camber plates would be really cool and might be a good option for those willing to spend a few extra bucks.

We'd still need a way to adjust rear camber with coilovers, so something like the adjustable upper control arms that come with the RRO could would be necessary (and would add extra cost).
How would one measure this? I live on base and have incredibly limited resources so I cant just go outside and jack the Pat up and start measuring. If the base poe-poe see a tool box next to a vehicle in the parking lot they freak out and make you pack it up and wait til the weekend and use te bases hobby shop (it's only open from 10 to 5 on Sat and Sunday). So I could get the loaded height (not lifted) and top of tire to wheel well measurements off my FDII but otherwise I wouldn't be much help for another 2 weekends when I plan on going offroad(on Sunday the 17th).

And honestly I wouldn't know how to install these or adjust camber so whichever set up that would be better/easer for a shop to do it would be better in my case.

·
Banned
859 Posts
ohhhh nice, im down for a set if they are damped and sprung to our rigs weight and gives at leastt two inchs over stock FDII height. the adjsutability of the camber etc helps alot too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
^ that's great! but it sounds like it'd be a limited group buy and not a on the shelf item. and what're the general costs for them? IMO paying $800 for an extra 3 inches of travel up and at least an extra 1-2" down w/ at least a 2" lift overall would be totally worth it.
Ok, so I have coil overs and I also picked up some spacers to raise my patriot. I figure if I use 4" up and adjust the coil overs according to terrain, on the dirt, itll have clearance and one the road the ride of a caddy

21 - 31 of 31 Posts