Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove up into the mountains recently in my 2017 FWD Sport and while I was 10 miles deep in the dirt my ESC light came on and stayed on. The light went out when I restarted the engine but re-appeared the next day and the day after that until finally I saw a check engine light.

I’m wondering if the Patriot brake switch is a weak link…

…(mine is original with only 16K on it) which got me to wondering if we have a list of Patriot weak points by model year. I didn’t see anything in the knowledge base and it seems like this would be a good resource our Admins could refer newbies to. For example, I imagine the throttle body would be listed for all model years.

While up in the mountains I checked that the electrical connector was engaged with the switch and then had an auto parts store read the codes (P0571 & C1000). The store did not carry the switch and referred me to a dealer. I researched online and confirmed my cruise control was not working and surprisingly found I had brake lights in the accessory position and with the Jeep running. I tried to buy a new switch in the next town but no joy so I decided to make the long drive home.

I drove 100 miles without touching the brakes (used auto stick to control speed) and when I stopped for my usual restroom brake I found that the check engine light did not re-appear when I started the Jeep…I assume this is because the bad switch did not have a chance to throw an error for 100 miles. I then drove another 100 miles in the same way and eventually saw the ESC light again when I got to town and started using then brakes.

I made it home and bought a new switch but after tinkering with the original switch again…all the dash lights have remained dark so I’m just driving it to see what happens. I will eventually put in the Mopar replacement switch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was thinking that a list by model year detailing all weak parts and the mileage at which failure it likely to occur would help owners decide what spare parts to carry in their Jeep. A brake switch is small, cheap, and easy to replace without tools if indeed it is a weak point. The list could also include common sense stuff like a serpentine belt, radiator hoses, fuses, etc. for those times when you are heading deep into the wilderness where cell service is just not available.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The very next time I started my Patriot my check engine light came on…I guess I should have seen that coming.

I just put in the new switch. The process wasn’t too bad…the electrical connector is kind of a pain to get out. It’s held in place by three small green tabs spaced just far enough apart to be a pain in the a**. I have an Ancel AD410 code reader on the way from Amazon so I can clear the codes…guess I’ll take her for a test drive.

FYI - My old and new brake switches (I have a 2016 FWD Sport) did not have the lever on the back of the switch that I had seen mentioned in older YouTube videos on this issue. In the old videos the lever needed to be flipped after the switch was installed.

FYI – I sat a Coleman cooler next to the driver’s door and sat on that to replace the switch. This worked well and meant I didn’t need to contort my aging bones quite so much.

·
Registered
2014 Sport 4X4 FD2 Off-road, Falken Wildpeak A/T, All weather & convienance group, EVIC, ATC, Hitch
2,212 Posts
FYI – I sat a Coleman cooler next to the driver’s door and sat on that to replace the switch. This worked well and meant I didn’t need to contort my aging bones quite so much.
Try replacing the HVAC blend door actuator. I had to lay on the drivers seat with my head on the floor and legs hanging over the headrest to do mine. Took me longer to get out of the Pat than it took me to do the repair. Getting old sucks, lol.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well…the test drive went well. When I started the engine the ESC light was no longer burning and the check engine light went out after I stopped and then restarted the engine. This surprised me. I thought I would need to clear the check engine light with the new code reader…which hasn’t arrived yet. Also, the cruise control is working again (happy dance).

I would imagine that everyone could use an inexpensive code reader like the Ancel AD410. Even if you don’t do your own repairs at least you will know what the codes and their definition(s) are before you take your Jeep into the shop.

As for my desire for a summary of the Patriots weak points by model year…I found the carcomplaints.com website which lists user complaints, investigations, recalls, and Technical Service Bulletins by model year. The complaints look pretty accurate and the complaints usually list the mileage when the issue occurred. It’s nice to have all this info in one location. I can’t determine the size of their user/complaint base but they seem to get plenty of traffic. Frequently Asked Questions | CarComplaints.com

My brake switch doesn’t seem to be a weak point so I don’t think I’ll be carrying a spare.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts