Jeep Patriot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
https://youtu.be/uq6SlyVE4zQ

Here is a video to do it cheaply.

There is software, but it's $1000's.
Software and desoldering the chip from the board?
Take a look at this site: www.carmodder.com ? EEPROM Programming for Beginners for the Holden VZ Commodore
A $100 EEProm programmer and a chip clip is all you should need. I expect the VIN will be in plain text and you can change it out if needed. For my Caprice, I read the vin off a junkyard radio and will be changing it before putting it in. Was not that hard (I'm also a total noob to this). I haven't looked into any Chrysler products, but it should be similar.
I'm sure the dealership could also program the new vin in, but sometimes they are reluctant to do something that isn't a straight swap. If all else fails, contact Welcome to White Auto and Media Services , he might be able to help, he does a lot in the G8/GM world, but charges a bit for it, not sure if he has done anything with Chrysler products.
Now the other 1/2 would be to check to see if the the Body Control Module programing is any different for cars with the EVIC models or not. The Wrangler guy saying it was plug and play seems promising.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The warnings I saw in the Chilton manual are probably there because cluster changing could possibly affect the warranty and the last thing Chilton wants to do is lead their readers into doing something that could cause them (Chilton) issues. Will be interesting to see if the plug-and-play works.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think the difference between your Caprice (and my F150) is going to be the age, we're pre CAN BUS. I think that's where getting the correct milage in will be difficult.

I hope I'm wrong I want to do the exact same change out. But it's my wife's car, so I'll let someone else be the guinea pig.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think the difference between your Caprice (and my F150) is going to be the age, we're pre CAN BUS. I think that's where getting the correct milage in will be difficult.

I hope I'm wrong I want to do the exact same change out. But it's my wife's car, so I'll let someone else be the guinea pig.
Maybe I missed something, are you trying to update the miles stored in the eeprom on the cluster? Because then CAN Bus won't be relevant if you have the cluster out, you can directly plug into the chip and change the millage stored there. VIN too if needed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
"Maybe I missed something, are you trying to update the miles stored in the eeprom on the cluster? Because then CAN Bus won't be relevant if you have the cluster out, you can directly plug into the chip and change the millage stored there. VIN too if needed."

I hope your right. Like I said I've never done a vehicle with CAN Bus, as much as it's tied into everything else I just figured it would read the info on the chip and compare it to the on board computer and if there was a mismatch throw up an error.

Like I said I would love to do this swap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bring a old thread back to life. I have a 14 riot and I have swapped a evic and steering wheel controls in it was plug and play and the majority of the options are there it still has the miles and vin from the donor vehicle and so far so good.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Bring a old thread back to life. I have a 14 riot and I have swapped a evic and steering wheel controls in it was plug and play and the majority of the options are there it still has the miles and vin from the donor vehicle and so far so good.
Without pictures Its all words....I wanted to do this too but seemed it was more involved than plug and play? My gauge does have the 4WD and other items but Im guessing they added that to all the 2wd to save money on gauges

·
Registered
179 Posts
Interesting Where did you find the steering controls that are the correct color? While this is tech looks to be plug and play you would have to flash the gauge to get correct Odometer reading with current mileage

·
Registered
7 Posts
For the controls I went to the dealership and spent the $50 because I couldn't find them in the junk yard. That would be correct if I wanted or find someone to correct them or as my state requires I just fill the back of the title with unknown miles

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dear Community, hopufully I'm not doing wrong on the forum, just wanted to add my 5 cents to this subject. I have a 2011 Patriot Sport FWD, Manual Transmission, no EVIC. Following the previous post I took the risk of changing the cluster with an EVIC one. It worked plug and play. Here are the details:
  • Looked for a cluster in eBay of the same year with similar milleage
  • My riot has originally Metric cluster (In KM/H and KM), so here is the first change as the cluster I found comes from a US car, with main dial in MPH and Miles)
  • Replaced the cluster and the steering wheel buttons
  • Started the car and at the very first seconds looks like the cluster was adapting to my car: Mine has Manual transmission and donor was CVT, so illuminated the PNRD letters, also the compass, and CVT Temp.
  • After few secconds, all the non-necessary lights turned off and the cluster worked without issues
Some highlights:
  • The compass does not works, maybe mine does not has the required compass module, so the display area for that is blank. Need to investigate further
  • My riot does not has TPMS enabled (Is an export model) and so there is no TPMS info on the EVIC. Is not blank, it just skips that section
  • Average fuel consuption, personal options, temp and radio info is there, all plug and play

·
Registered
369 Posts
  • The compass does not works, maybe mine does not has the required compass module, so the display area for that is blank. Need to investigate further
  • My riot does not has TPMS enabled (Is an export model) and so there is no TPMS info on the EVIC. Is not blank, it just skips that section
The compass module is located in the rearview mirror. I picked up one on ebay for $45. Then I realized that I needed the wire harness to go with it. I haven't seen one on ebay and one from FCA is over $100. I also discovered that the other end of that harness plugs into the radio... and my radio is aftermarket, so that's out for me.

Mine didn't have the enhanced TPMS either, but I was able to enable it using the AppCar FCA program.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The compass module is located in the rearview mirror. I picked up one on ebay for $45. Then I realized that I needed the wire harness to go with it. I haven't seen one on ebay and one from FCA is over $100. I also discovered that the other end of that harness plugs into the radio... and my radio is aftermarket, so that's out for me.

Mine didn't have the enhanced TPMS either, but I was able to enable it using the AppCar FCA program.
Thank you for the info. Just ordered the mirror and the harness. As I have a RHR headunit, hope will have no problem. Will report back once installed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update: I was able to enable the Compass display in EVIC screen. It was not neccesary to install the center mirror, but to enable with AppCar FCA. Looks like the radio handles the compass (It's a RHR headunit). After enabling the option for Compass and Temp display with ApCar FCA, sompass was shown in EVIC. It works as changes with turns.
The mirror will be useful anyway as represents upgrading to auto-dimming and integrating UConnect mic (I have the external one); however looks like it's not neccesary if you have a RHR radio.

Best Regards!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Thanks for the update! I enabled the compass and temp display on mine, but only get a line where the compass should be. My research led me to believe that the compass module was in the mirror... maybe it is on some, but if not, it's not the first or last time I've been wrong, lol. Either way, that's a crappy place to put it, since you can't use an aftermarket radio without losing that. Glad to hear it's working for you.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts