Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, surprised to see nothing about this on the forum, but I had some clicking coming from behind my dash and tracked it down to the recirculating actuator. My question is has anybody dealt with this issue before? How easy is this to attempt on my own? Google is only pulling up results for wranglers and cherokees.

Thanks!
Jason

·
Unsponsored Baja racer
4,770 Posts
I've heard some kind of clicking/zipping sound behind my dash before, figured it was normal. Been awhile since I've heard it though. Not that I use the air recirculation feature anyways.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Are you hearing loud clicking like something is wrong? I too hear some clicking/whirring there if it's quiet in the car. If the radio is on it's usually enough that I don't hear those sounds. But there can obviously be a difference between normal and abnormal sounds.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Whenever I take the keys out of the ignition after the engine has been running, I hear little zips and clicks like a cd player almost but its muted. I'm assuming that's normal since it's not that loud and no lights have come on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I to have had this problem of late. It started out with very soft clicks almost as if it was exhaust coming out of the vents. That was when I turned off my rig after using her. Now this a.m. it’s louder and it’s sounds different now. It’s when I first start up the rig and this clicking/ tapping noise sounds as if it’s coming directly behind the glovebox area? The weird thing is I went walking and when I finished up I got into the Patriot turned just the radio on to have a cup of coffee and the motor wasn’t even running and that sound happened. Whether motor is turned over or not it clicks/taps 3 or 4 times. WTF is this noise about? I only used my rig for 10 minutes today so tomorrow I’ll be going into the city on a longer run. See if it’s reoccurring or just when I start her up? Worrisome!

October 09,2018 I made an appointment with the dealer for next week. They said they’d charge me $105.00 diagnostic fee. My question is my check engine light isn’t coming on and is that normal? The sounds are up to 10 to 15 before it goes quiet. Sounds like a motor/ gear trying to hitch or clasp? Knocking and very strange. Will my extended warranty be valid in this case without no check engine light? Anyone? ??? I Have 6 days till I’m to go in with the dealer.

·
Registered
434 Posts
My '09 has a clicking noise but it seems to be related to the fuel pump firing up when the ignition is turned to a certain point, but before the starter is engaged. I've also heard some clicking after turning the engine off, but an old thread here suggested it was just noise from some component cooling down. It's never developed into anything worse.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You could have a low draw on your battery. I had some clicking when I left a light on an the battery was low. It would start then when I turned it off after a short ride it would click.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My '09 has a clicking noise but it seems to be related to the fuel pump firing up when the ignition is turned to a certain point, but before the starter is engaged. I've also heard some clicking after turning the engine off, but an old thread here suggested it was just noise from some component cooling down. It's never developed into anything worse.
Yup, these are all things that can click in cars nowadays even when it's not running. On some cars (no idea about the Patriot), the engine cooling fan can even come on after you've shut the car off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been having the same problem for more than a year.
a clicking sound from behind my glove box, it will last about 5 seconds then stop.
I've heard it from outside my vehicle as well. Maybe 5 mins later after turning it off even!
2012 2.4L - 120K miles.
It may be no coincidence but I've also had other electrical issues such as lamps on every corner burning out early and battery not charging properly. I have replaced my battery more often than I should and the alternator once.
This is still a mystery to me.

·
Administrator
6,857 Posts
Mine was doing that a couple of months ago, turned out it was the re-circulation door actuator gears stripping out.

This repair guide is for a Compass, but it's the same for the Patriot.

·
Administrator
6,857 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I to have had this problem of late. It started out with very soft clicks almost as if it was exhaust coming out of the vents. That was when I turned off my rig after using her. Now this a.m. it’s louder and it’s sounds different now. It’s when I first start up the rig and this clicking/ tapping noise sounds as if it’s coming directly behind the glovebox area? The weird thing is I went walking and when I finished up I got into the Patriot turned just the radio on to have a cup of coffee and the motor wasn’t even running and that sound happened. Whether motor is turned over or not it clicks/taps 3 or 4 times. WTF is this noise about? I only used my rig for 10 minutes today so tomorrow I’ll be going into the city on a longer run. See if it’s reoccurring or just when I start her up? Worrisome!

October 09,2018 I made an appointment with the dealer for next week. They said they’d charge me $105.00 diagnostic fee. My question is my check engine light isn’t coming on and is that normal? The sounds are up to 10 to 15 before it goes quiet. Sounds like a motor/ gear trying to hitch or clasp? Knocking and very strange. Will my extended warranty be valid in this case without no check engine light? Anyone? ??? I Have 6 days till I’m to go in with the dealer.
I'm have this same issue with my 12' jeep compass. What was the diagnosis? I'd appreciate any advice.

·
Administrator
6,857 Posts
I'm have this same issue with my 12' jeep compass. What was the diagnosis? I'd appreciate any advice.
Maybe an actuator in the HVAC system needing replacement.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey everyone, surprised to see nothing about this on the forum, but I had some clicking coming from behind my dash and tracked it down to the recirculating actuator. My question is has anybody dealt with this issue before? How easy is this to attempt on my own? Google is only pulling up results for wranglers and cherokees.

Thanks!
Jason
Sandstone put up a couple links on how-to. Dealt with this issue before? Unfortunately, yes, all too many times. On my '06 Charger (dual zone - auto temp system) I had 2 blend door actuator motors and the recirculator door actuator motor fail within a 3 month period at about 15 years old. Thankfully, I did get that long a life out of them. Very common failures on modern Mopars, as the motors are cheap, with plastic gear inserts, and the blend doors and recirculating door gears are plastic crap. If you are lucky, you can just replace the actuator motor. Worst case, if the attaching door gears are damaged, then you're in for a BIG job, and LOTS of fun, or a very BIG bill if you are not capable of changing them yourself.

Thankfully, I haven't had to change one on my Patriot, but I understand they are easier and more accessible than the Charger/Magnum/300s, especially the ones like mine with 4 actuator motors total on the dual-zone. Also found that unless you plan on fixing and selling soon, stay away from the aftermarket motors and stick with an OEM Mopar, as quality on aftermarket is iffy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts