Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions as to best way to clean engine of 2013 Patriot Latitude? ....

Can it be done with a low powered pressure washer? ....

What if any special precautions need to be taken?....

Thanks ....

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
LOL, I had to have my throttle body replaced after I gently washed my engine. It was just out of warranty but the dealer covered it. I know the mechanic there personally and he said it was just coincidence, but I find it hard to believe that I didn't some how muck up the electronics, which sent some bad signals to the computer controlled throttle body. Who knows.

Even though my mechanic friend says that the electronics/computers are well protected from moisture, I would cover an accessible parts with plastic bags: the pcm that sits on top of the air filter, especially the fuse box and the TIPM that sits below it ("looks" vulnerable from the underside view).

I would use a very gentle stream from above only. Be careful using high pressure from below, especially around the TIPM unit. Have the engine warm (not hot) so that moisture evaporates off quickly. These are just my opinions.

For a cleaner, I like to use Simple Green Pro HD formula from Home Depot. Per their website and personal comminication, I learned that it is the homeowner version of their aviation product that is designed to be safe on aluminum, rubber, plastic, and most materials sensitive to chemical corrosion.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
when cleaning engine bay
I warm up the engine to just warm, not hot
I will spray on a degreaser on metal parts, making sure not to get it on soft parts like hoses/belts,
let it soak
I scrub/wipe as much as I can
I then cover electrical connections and sensors with whatever plastic bags I could and power wash it down,
then run the engine to dry it up

·
Registered
22 Posts
Wet the paint(fenders, grille, hood, bumper) 1st! Then spray any degreaser like LA's totally awesome, simple green, 409, purple power etc... onto the engine and under side of hood liberally. I usually scrub the underside of the hood and any painted areas I can get too with a wash mitt. Use a hose, not a pressure washer in my opinion and rinse. Should come out great! If you want it to shine apply tire shine spray, or any spray that is silicone based that is designed to shine plastic and rubber but just realize these sprays will attract and allow dust to cling to it so the engine will need to be redone on a normal basis.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts