Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm absolutely disgusted. Bad weather here in the Carolinas and I had to drive from Charlotte to Myrtle Beach at 45 mph during a soaker. When I got home I Was going to feel the back floorboard to see it if was damp as I had noticed it wet once before when it rained. DAMP? MY GOD it had 4 inches of water in the floorboard and was in the front too. I dumped my dogs out and weent straight to a car wash and vacummed the water out in the pouring rainstorm at 4 am. Then I drope 1/4 a mile home got out and looked and ANOTHER FOUR INCHES of water in the rear drivers floorboard. This is ore then a leak.. THIS IS A FLOWING RIVER. I have an appointment at the dealership tomorrow at 1. This is rediculous and I am looking for someone interested in starting some sort of class action against chrysler/jeep for this. This is rediculous. I HAVE NO SUNROOF!!!

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Damn... really sorry to hear about this in a non-sunroof model! I have no sunroof but I have no issues so far (knock on wood) and I have had some very drastic rainfalls that I had to drive through.

Seems like the accumulation of water is in the rear. Have you had a look at the door seals by any chance? Also, notice any water in the cargo area or is that area dry?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The seals around the doors look fine they look new. My center pillar is dry my roof is dry, my cargo area dry and the water in the front floorboard is runoff from the back floorboard. Something is almost dumping a large amount of water into the rear floorboard only on the drivers side mind you. The passenger side is bone dry front and back.. Worse then if a window was down What could this be??

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Driver side only? Huh...

Best bet is to have the door seals pulled and inspected for any manufacturing imperfection. Let the dealer do that.

What about the seals around the rear driver side window? If you had the time (being a work day and all today) can you pull the door panel off and have a look/feel inside the door area to see if it is wet? If the seals around the window are not tight, water could be running into the door and then get dumped into the cabin.

Have you had any issue when washing the car?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I noticed it wet at THANKSGIVING BUT IT HAD been a HUGe rain. Other then that no I have had no water issues then last night someone opened the floodgates. The seals appear good as I checked them as good as you can by eye. The odd thing is I have noticed the front door when you foll the window up and down the window will be wet on the outside even if it has not rained in a while.. But that is the front window. How could water get into the floorboard without wetting the side of the doors or doorseals? My water looks like it is filling the center pillar up and when I vacumm it out more water is released and drains down into the floor I just went and checked it. It is still raining like hell here. And it is full of water again. I dont know what to do because it is suppose to rain all day..

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Until the different components are take apart, no real way of knowing at this point. Try the dealer (speak to the manager). See if they can at least take a look today. Either way, I figure you will have to leave the vehicle for it to be repaired. It would also help for them to actually see the unusual accumulation of water.

·
Registered
135 Posts
if i can be helpful ... i had exactly the same with a crd limited , bought in june 2009 ; the dealer fixed in 2 days , he said was a cold seal and this was fixed with a foam , a sealant , to be put in the front , don't know exactly where but it was nothing so bad in the end . didn't pay nothing because of the valid guarantee .
regards
andrea - anzio - rome

·
Registered
135 Posts
water leaks - wish to add...

you can easily test where the water comes from simply pulling water on the front window as if you are washing the car ; then you go down to the seat driver , behind the pedals and you will see that the water comes from there .

hope this helps somehow
ciao
andrea

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I am sure it is something as simple (but aggravating) as what andrea61 is stating but until it gets to the dealer... not much that can be done at this point.

The ONLY thing that I would be concerned with with what andrea61 describes as the solution is that the foam products can degrade over time. If they mention that this is how they fix your problem, ask them about that and see if they can show you where the foam was applied for future reference.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I forgot one thing indeed : they said at the first stage the problem was a ''cold seal,, and the foam ( or sealant) was put after the reworking of the cold seal . Just as a further protection . In another message here around I saw that another pat' s owner had plus minus the same .
ciao

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is just a disgusting problem to have on a car that isnt even two years old. I ve had 20 year old cars that did not leak. I ve never had a car leak and I ve had some bombs. At this point thinking of trading it for something else just because of the worry of it..

Thanks for all the replies I will report back after tomorrow

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well, if you think that 30000 bmw have been recalled because the engine stops at a given outside temperature ...
or the merceds ML of a friend of mine : if he were driving 132 kmh maintaining that speed for more than 2 minutes the engine lose power and he find himself on the highway at 60 kmh in 4 seconds ..!!
I only believe that with cars you must be lucky , is not a matter of brand
robots are the builder , don't forget that .
otherwise buy a Fornasari hand made for 200k euros ... and you sleep well !!
maybe ....
I have to be honest , if should go back and re-decide about buying a patriot or not (with this experience ) , well, would buy it again :))

but this is just my personal thought

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I think the leaks on the no sunroof models were due to some lousy sealing on the top of the rear roof where the wires/hoses run from the roof to the liftgate....from what I remember reading on here.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would love to start a classaction and I'm in Charleston so pm me if you want to try and get something going.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I was just quoted 8500 Trade in Value ..... I just paid 13000 for the patriot in September........ !!

OK your in SC I am in SC how many others would join in or would we need. Surely Attorneys know how much money they could make off of it

PLUS besides the leaking how about the permanant damage being done by the constant moisture???

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm no lawyer, but unless you've suffered some kind of loss (injury or financial) I don't think you'll have any luck with a class action suit. Lemon laws are in place to handle this type of problem, and the dealer/Mfr have to be given several chances of fixing a problem before mandatory vehicle buyback (something like that).

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think the damage caused to a $20,000 vehicle by manufacturing NEGLIGENCE constitutes a substantial financial loss. The effects on resale value, damage to other property from leaking water inside the vehicle, time lost from work, etc are also counted as losses. Lemon Law is Great if your in the right state and bought the car new.

·
Registered
135 Posts
to be more clear on the water leaking

just finished talking to the technician who personally fixed the problem ; will try to be clear in my explanation but please forgive me if don't use the right words .. will do my best .
leaking of the water in the inside ( floor driver site ) was found in the fender area , right anterior fender . The sheets in this area are close one to the other and the original built foresee a sealant to close them . Now , my problem was due to the sealant not properly spread between the 2 sheets .the dealer then simply put the sealant back in the rightr way.
they also contacted the technical jeep office finding that in italy mine was trhe only case they heard about .

hope this helps furthermore
ciao
andrea

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
I was just quoted 8500 Trade in Value ..... I just paid 13000 for the patriot in September........ at the same dealership. THIEVES!!
I hate to break it to you, but you will NEVER be able to trade a vehicle in for what you paid for it...plain and simple. A quick check on KBB.com shows that your Patriot sold by a dealer goes for about $13000 and the trade in value is about $9000. They are not thieves...they are running a business. No dealer is going to trade in a vehicle for the same price they will sell it for...if they did they would not be able to make any money.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts