Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if we even have enough manufacturing capacity today to do something like this, if needed.

". . . . no fewer than 12 Chrysler factories were involved in making and assembling the parts, and in the end, the project involved 2,000 subcontractors in 330 cities."
"In Sweden, each Bofors gun reportedly took 450 man-hours to create; at Chrysler, with higher parts interchangeability, it was done with ten man-hours."

http://www.allpar.com/history/military/bofors.html

·
POTM Winner AUG. 09.
4,679 Posts
Thanks for that post!! A very informative article . The smaller Oerlikon gun was designed in Germany but taken up by the Swiss . I have been to the Zurich suburb of Oerlikon where the gun was manufactured , as my eldest step daughter lives & works over there. I didnt realise that the Bofors had so many parts to it. Seems like quite an undertaking to get it into mass production. It strange that it takes a war to get engineers working at their best.

·
POTM November 2008
8,921 Posts
I doubt it. Red tape would queer a project like that now. Look how universally united we are against Al Qaeda. :doh:

We are doing sub contracting work for a company who is making a winch for the army. We've been making parts for 6 months for what looks like something they could easily buy at any company who supplies stuff to the mining industry. The drawings are poorly done*, and specifications are called out the to the .0000 which makes it cost a fortune.

*I say poorly done because they could be drawn so the part was much easier to measure. There is no common reference point. On this drawing, one point determines the next. A "good" private sector drawing is done with one common reference point which saves hours of time in both machining and in checking for accuracy.

The other reason I say we couldn't do it is that impatient shareholders wouldn't allow a company to shift gears. It wouldn't be in the corporate business plan.

·
POTM Winner AUG. 09.
4,679 Posts
I suppose I know what you mean---Since the end of WW2 the British Ministry of Defence have squandered Billions££££££. Aircraft that dont work , Aircraft that do work but got cancelled, Computer systems that wont talk to each other, Radios for the troops with no range,Airborne radar that cant tell a farmer in a pick up truck from an enemy tank. Sub machine guns that dont work in the jungle or desert & scrap themselves if you drop it!!

·
POTM November 2008
8,921 Posts
On the plus side, wild technology can combat most conventional weapons the nut balls have. I don't see us ever having a conventional war with a legitimate country ever again.

Now we need to concentrate on guys with, dirty bombs, shoe/under ware/copier bombers, and some angry nut with one nuclear missile.:doh:

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Look at WWII and all the companies that got into firearms manufacturing....GM, Jukeboxes, Typewriters, IBM, just to name a few that made M1 Carbines.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts