Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '15 Jeep Patriot 4x4 High Alt.
I just got the engine mounts replaced and now have this CHIRPING noise left as it was here prior. I thought it might be taken care of with that mount repair. It appears to be coming from the area that is shown below. The timing belt I know is coming due, but it doesn't sound like a squealing belt. It continues while driving and while being parked, any help woukd be appreciated!!
15726216431203829503452241861467.jpg
15726216431203829503452241861467.jpg

·
Registered
993 Posts
To diagnose a chirping belt, simply lightly spray some water based silicone on the belt while the engine is running and observe if the belt stops chirping.

I'm sure this comment will elicit negative replies because using slippery silicone seems counter intuitive to increasing belt grip. The minimal silicone application actually conditions the rubber and makes it grip better. I read about this technique in some industrial maintenance blog, so use it at your own discretion. It is a band aid diagnosis method, not a permanent repair. I used 303 last week on a chirping greenhouse exhaust fan belt last week and it is still silent. Replacement is scheduled soon. Sticky belt dressings are frowned upon by all belt manufacturers.

I've used a light water mist as a diagnosis method also, but occasionally the water will cause a belt to slip more. Either way, it will help locate the chirp IF it is the belt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To diagnose a chirping belt, simply lightly spray some water based silicone on the belt while the engine is running and observe if the belt stops chirping.

I'm sure this comment will elicit negative replies because using slippery silicone seems counter intuitive to increasing belt grip. The minimal silicone application actually conditions the rubber and makes it grip better. I read about this technique in some industrial maintenance blog, so use it at your own discretion. It is a band aid diagnosis method, not a permanent repair. I used 303 last week on a chirping greenhouse exhaust fan belt last week and it is still silent. Replacement is scheduled soon. Sticky belt dressings are frowned upon by all belt manufacturers.

I've used a light water mist as a diagnosis method also, but occasionally the water will cause a belt to slip more. Either way, it will help locate the chirp IF it is the belt.
I appreciate the long response, I will be sure to make use of this method. Better to try than to make use of it at all.

·
Super Moderator
4,154 Posts
Could be the belt tensioner:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Why did you replace motor mounts? I can't see a 2015 needing them already. My 2014 has over 130,000 kms and doesn't need them done yet.

A chirp from the engine bay is usually belt slip. Bearings on pulleys can sometimes make a chirp when they start to go bad and will then turn into a growl/grind sort of sound is it a constant sound or only heard at start up? Is it on when the AC is turned on and then off?

Seeing as I have yet to replace my belt but have replaced my tensioner pulleys, idler pulleys, and other pulleys many times and your vehicle is newer than mine - my money is on a pulley/pulley bearing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts