Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! My last problem was answered with great feedback so figured I would try again.

Feel like this is more serious than “chipped paint” can cover.

My window got smashed in and the tape that Safeline guy put to hold the window covering took a bunch of paint when it came off. Any ideas on how I can fix it without repainting the whole car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have safelite make good on the repair, they made the paint problem and they can fix it.
this was back in the winter. I doubt they’ll honor fixing it now. I’ll remember if it ever happens again that they’ll fix it. I assumed they wouldn’t. Smh

·
Registered
819 Posts
ChrisFix has some good videos on paint repair on youtube.

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited. 2.4L CVT
17 Posts
I have done a bunch of rust repair on my pat recently using ChrisFix's videos like mr_et2 recommended. It would be the same process for you minus all the grinding to remove the rust (lucky you - that part isn't fun haha) and the body filler. Here's the link

Its really not all that difficult to do! If you can get OEM paint from the dealer that's ideal as it'll get the closest match, but for me I had to get it mixed at a NAPA CMAX store since there are apparently no dealers in western Canada that carry the sunburst orange. If you have it mixed keep in mind the colour won't be an exact match. Also grab yourself some grey filler primer and automotive clear coat (I used duplicolour for both) and you'll be good to go.

Sand it with 320-400 grit to level out the paint edges and scuff the surface you're going to paint (I would use body lines to help hide the transition spots). Wipe it down with some rubbing alcohol then spray your primer. Use the paper trick shown in the video, it works. Blend in the edges of the primer with light pressure and 600 grit then VERY LIGHTLY sand the primer. By very lightly I mean 0 pressure and only a few passes otherwise you might sand through it (ask me how I know - lol). You just want to take down any roughness a bit.

Once that's done spray your paint (I did 4-5 coats, which was probably a little overkill but I'd rather have more paint than less) then your clear. Be careful when spraying clear coat as it can run quite easily and if you go too heavy it will crack; go on the light side for the first two coats, I usually do a third and fourth coat medium-wet (just enough to make it look uniformly glossy). Let the clear cure for a few days (at least 48 hours) then come back and wet sand and polish like Chris shows in the video.

A few tips: if you can, do this in a garage to minimize dust. If you're outside you're likely to end up with little particles that land in your paint. Be sure to protect everything from over spray, including the rest of your car. There is much more of it when your indoors so mask more than Chris does. Try and get your hands on a proper respirator for this job, one rated for spray paint or a p95 will work (they can be hard to come by thanks to COVID but shop around. I found one at Home Depot). You'll be high as a kite if you don't wear a respirator, and not in a good way 😉.

A DIY rattlecan job won't be flawless but if you take your time it'll look really good and save you a small fortune vs. a body shop!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts