Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, Looking for some advice on a charging issue that I am having. I will outline below the process up to this point.

1. This is my daughters jeep, it broke down on her a few days ago started running rough, then finally stalled, then would not restart
2. got it home and charged up the batter for several hours, batter charged up to 12.something.
3. started the jeep and running very rough battery light on and traction control light on, not sure if that was always on or not.
4. checked batter while running and it was slowly dropping voltage, did not appear to be charging at all.
5. So I assumed it was the alternator and threw a new one on, to my surprise, same issue.
6. so I took the old alternator and the batter to Oreilly's and they tested the battery and said it was bad, I didn't necessarily agree, but it was 3 years old so I replaced it
7. they said that the original alternator tested good.
8. Installed new battery, same problem.
9. did some searching on line and read about a broken wire issue in the starter that is under the battery box
10. Removed battery box and my starter is not under there, it is under the intake, very difficult to see, but I tested and all wires between the alternator and the started and the battery seem to be fine and I do not see anything broken, good continuity between everything.
11. Just for fun I checked the voltage at the alternator stud while running and that seems to be right in line with what I am seeing at the battery, no charging, just slowly losing voltage as the jeep runs.

so I am looking for any advice on what to do next, I understand that the regulator is built into the PCM on these vehicles, if so is that the next likely culprit, or are there any other tests that I can run to try to figure out for sure where the problem is before I keep dumping more money into this. I would appreciate any help/advice that anyone has on this subject. Thank you in advance

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
FYI, I also checked most of the larger amp fuses in the fuse panel under the hood and they were all good.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I remember chasing a charging problem on my son's Ford Ranger in the same manner (replacing parts) to no avail. It was too long ago to remember what we finally figured out, but I "think" it was a bad relay in the charging circuit.

According to my 2014 Patriot service manual, the charging circuit is tied in to both the PCM and TIPM, both having its own set of DTC codes. Have you checked for any thrown codes???

I would still double check all the easy stuff again: wire and battery connections, ground wires, belt/pulley slippage, etc., fuses, relays, etc.. It is embarrassing how little oxidation it takes on battery terminals to cause a poor connection.

There's a whole slew of diagnostic procedures in the service manual driven by DTC's and it would be too much to transcribe everything. I will continue looking for easy solutions.

Read Ignatz's solution in this thread: http://www.jeeppatriot.com/forum/17-electrical-audio/288505-persistent-battery-rundown.html

also: (this one seems like a stretch)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i'll be, mine don't look like that and are not laid out the same, but I shuffled them around and sure enough problem solved. Now the question is, will something else be a problem? should I replace them? Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Makes me wonder if there was just a tiny amount of oxidation on one of the contacts and moving them around cleaned it off.

Maybe every 5 years or so we should go through our vehicles and spray all/some of the connectors with an electronics cleaner/protectant?

Great news for you. Doesn't it P.O. you when you find something simple after changing out a few parts?? GRRRRRRRR.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL, yes I spent about 350 on alternator and battery that I really didn't have to, but hey, probably still cheaper than a trip to the stealer. I was wondering the same thing as you if maybe there was some sort of corrosion, but I looked at the relays and the socket and they were all as clean as could be. I guess I will just let it go and see what happens.

Thank you so much for showing me the video, otherwise I was about ready to take it in.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
My comment above "this one seems like a stretch" may have induced some kind of good Karma. Electrical gremlins can push one over the edge, that's for sure. It happens to the pros also, just less often.

I spent a day trying to track an electrical problem on my workplace zero turn mower. When I called a co worker over for his thoughts, after about three minutes he asked "whats this loose wire off this terminal do?" DUH.

I know that dealers and indy shops have lots of overhead, but I wish there was a better system in place that made it easier and trusting to take stuff in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
All, Looking for some advice on a charging issue that I am having. I will outline below the process up to this point.

1. This is my daughters jeep, it broke down on her a few days ago started running rough, then finally stalled, then would not restart
2. got it home and charged up the batter for several hours, batter charged up to 12.something.
3. started the jeep and running very rough battery light on and traction control light on, not sure if that was always on or not.
4. checked batter while running and it was slowly dropping voltage, did not appear to be charging at all.
5. So I assumed it was the alternator and threw a new one on, to my surprise, same issue.
6. so I took the old alternator and the batter to Oreilly's and they tested the battery and said it was bad, I didn't necessarily agree, but it was 3 years old so I replaced it
7. they said that the original alternator tested good.
hello, I have the very same problem and went through the same steps. Can you please help me to solve this problem? thank you
8. Installed new battery, same problem.
9. did some searching on line and read about a broken wire issue in the starter that is under the battery box
10. Removed battery box and my starter is not under there, it is under the intake, very difficult to see, but I tested and all wires between the alternator and the started and the battery seem to be fine and I do not see anything broken, good continuity between everything.
11. Just for fun I checked the voltage at the alternator stud while running and that seems to be right in line with what I am seeing at the battery, no charging, just slowly losing voltage as the jeep runs.

so I am looking for any advice on what to do next, I understand that the regulator is built into the PCM on these vehicles, if so is that the next likely culprit, or are there any other tests that I can run to try to figure out for sure where the problem is before I keep dumping more money into this. I would appreciate any help/advice that anyone has on this subject. Thank you in advance

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, I have the very same problem and went through the same steps you described. Can you please help me to solve this problem. Thank you

·
Registered
234 Posts
I had a defective battery 11months in, and replaced a 2 year old alternator.. Had the battery checked out as good?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts