Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ordered a new H13 bulb fro my blown headlight and I cannot for the life of me get it out.

The manual states-
*Raise the hood and locate connector behind the headlamp.
*Reach into engine compartment and pull red lock out
at connector.
*Twist the bulb to the left and pull outward from assembly.

this seems to be same as all the other instructions I can find on the net.

but guess what? no red connector.

Any ideas people?

·
Premium Member
10,956 Posts
Take a pic, I had my OEM bulbs out in less than 30 seconds.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the blub ass'y makes a quarter-turn and pops out--it's the connector that's a little tricky--you must lift up the red tab to pull the wiring free of the blub. Once you figure this out, you could effectively change a bulb in a matter of minutes!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the blub ass'y makes a quarter-turn and pops out--it's the connector that's a little tricky--you must lift up the red tab to pull the wiring free of the blub. Once you figure this out, you could effectively change a bulb in a matter of minutes!

yeah, I'm pretty sure it doesn't :)

as per 1st post it is has no red tab, and does not turn. :)

However
with a bit of mucking around, i worked out it was just stiff.

for my 2007 Aus spec Patriot Sport Petrol.
1- The plug pulls straight out. It is very stiff, but wiggling and prying gets it off, (keep at it, it will come)
2- There is a rubber boot over the bulb assembly which pops off easily
3- The metal retaining clip, pops off and the bulb comes out
4- the bulb is NOT a H13, it is a standard H4 by the look (TBC)

yes Croat, its a 30 sec job (when you get the connector off) :)

-dont forget to check your headlight fluid when changing bulbs.

Aus spec connector, just pull it off (pull harder!)

here you can see the bulb terminals and the boot you need to pull off

here is the clip you need to unhook (in the open position)

the bulb comes straight out

H4 bulb

Attachments

·
Major Modificator
497 Posts
I find it VERY odd that you guys still use H4. I thought that was phased out with the sealed beam headlamps back in the 90's...

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
That headlight ass'y looks NOTHING like what's on my car...so obviously, the directions are NOT the same..

·
Major Modificator
497 Posts
yea, that's what I was thinking. It doesnt look like the back of our AngelEye headlamps. and what's the thing in the upper left?

·
Mopar or no car!!!
1,719 Posts
USA Spec Patriots are totally different! :) Wow, thanks for the write up!

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
and what's the thing in the upper left?

Pics were taken in Australia and are therefore upside down.

It's the bulb for what we call a "parker" or "low beam", this bulb is under the main bulb.

Not sure if USA spec has these or something different.

·
Major Modificator
497 Posts
Pics were taken in Australia and are therefore upside down.

It's the bulb for what we call a "parker" or "low beam", this bulb is under the main bulb.

Not sure if USA spec has these or something different.
Ohh ok. makes sense. Basically illuminates the housing without wearing out the headlamp. Not us spec back then. Dunno if it's a requirement now. Remember, Chrysler wanted to cut costs wherever they could on this rig. That's why only exports get rear ambers after 2007.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi All,

For sure, we do things different here in Australia. H4 instead of H13, parking lamps included. You'd be surprised on how many Australian's don't know the road rules and rules in general when it comes to driving with headlights on. Fog lights or bad weather lights are another thing, people who drive with their fog lamps illuminated don't realize how bright that they are, especially when they are driving with their headlights on. The owners of new Ford Rangers here in Australia are culprits of blinding oncoming motorists with their fog lamps especially when they are fitted into their ugly bull bars.

MikeyAus069

·
Premium Member
10,956 Posts
The newer ones use the PSX24W however good luck finding an exact non OEM bulb, HID, or LED kit. You will find the common 5205 bulb instead which is compatible with the H16, PSX24W, 9009, 5201. Only difference from these bulbs is usually the specs by a slight difference and for fitment tab differences. I've made them work and for my fogs I take them out from the front and pull them out of the bumper for easier access.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts