Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2010 Jeep Patriot 4x4 5 speed manual transmission with 197,000 kms.

For the past couple of years my check engine light keeps coming on for a few days, then goes off. I was always told that it was the catalytic Converter and mostly an issue with emissions, and not a huge deal if intermittent.

Now the check engine light seems to be staying on - and only that one code.

Also, the engine is burning oil VERY quickly, and the dealer can't find out why. They don't think it's related, but can only assume it's burning it faster because the engine is aging and not in good shape anymore.

The dealer says it's gonna cost around $2500 CAD to replace the catalytic converter. He was being honest when he said he thought I was better off to start thinking about getting a new car. You know that's not good when the guys that love making money off you give you the bad news with that advice.

I JUST got the transmission done 1.5 years ago ($3,000) and new tires a year ago ($1500). What should I do? Will I be sinking good money after bad spending $2500 ?

·
Registered
731 Posts
If your engine is burning oil, that will definitely clog up your catalytic converter, so the problems are absolutely related. No sense in replacing the cat if it's burning oil, unless you like throwing your money away. If you engine is burning that much oil, it's probably a blown valve seal or a broken piston ring... either of which is going to be an expensive fix.

I absolutely would not replace the cat until/unless you fix the oil burning issue.

EDIT: I would never go to that dealer again either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am definitely not going back to the dealer. I've been increasingly frustrated with my customer service experience there, in general, anyway.

I am wondering if it would be worth it to take my car to another mechanic to try to diagnose the oil burning issue? I'll probably start another thread about the oil issue, since that really seems to be the thing that's complicating my decision to buy a new car or hang on to my Pat.

·
Registered
185 Posts
You could try to clean the PCV to see if it's clogged and causing the oils consumption problem. It Might help.

Finically your best bet is the drive it until the engine blows up then get another vehicle. Just ignore the check engine light and keep putting oil in it. How much oil does it burn 1 Quart = X KM?

Your other choice is to get a new (reman or junk yard) motor + catalytic converter(s). That might sound like a lot of money but so is a new vehicle. I would not go to the dealer for this type of work, try getting a quote from a couple of different mechanics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response! PCV Valve was just replaced. Didn't help.

I posted another thread specifically about my oil problem with potential options. Definitely a new engine is an option. Seems to be burning a quart every few hundred kms...but I am going to have to start monitoring it more closely...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts