Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So basically whenever I accelerate, I hear an electronic whining sound. Everytime I accelerate it's goes slow, and makes that sound until I get to about 60mph. The other day my battery was having issues holding a charge and would die everytime I shut the car off. I'm not having any lights on the dash, the car isnt overheating at all. It actually stays in the middle when idling in traffic and goes to the cooler side when driving. I'm afraid that if it's a transmission I'm going to have to get rid of the car. I literally bought this from a private dealership that makes cash sales, now the guy ignores me when I tell him I want a refund. It's a 2010 Jeep Patriot Sport 4x4 130,000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
5,119 Posts
If it sounds like its coming from the passenger side, it could be something belt driven (alternator, a/c, etc).

If it's drivers side more likely to be transmission.

·
Registered
Patriot '09, 2,4 cvt 4wd
101 Posts
Had the same thing. It was the slip pulley of the alternator.
It's an easy fix but hard to get at.
Take off the lower right inner plastic wheel panel.
Remove the aircon compressor
Loosen the belt and take the alternator out.
In total 1 hours work.

·
8,158 Posts
I'm afraid that if it's a transmission I'm going to have to get rid of the car. I literally bought this from a private dealership that makes cash sales, now the guy ignores me when I tell him I want a refund. It's a 2010 Jeep Patriot Sport 4x4 130,000 miles.
The best way to "fix" the guy at the dealer is to get your Patriot in tip-top shape and stick your tongue out him as you drive past. Well no, that would be rude, but the first part applies. Get it in good shape and tell him it was worth far more than you paid. THAT will put a knot in his stomach!

I doubt your problem is the transmission, but this is a good time to discuss it. End the worry by getting the tranny fluid and filters changed. Your Patriot should be on its second change by now (I bet it hasn't been done at all). CVT fluid should be changed every 50,000 miles -- the owners manual recommendation is very misleading on the change interval.

PS, "The cheapest car you'll ever own is the one you own today." It is almost always cheaper to fix something than to buy a new one. What would a year's worth of car payments add up to? Not to mention the higher cost of insurance and taxes on a new vehicle.

·
Registered
870 Posts
With just about 127k km on my manual tranny I started getting a very noticeable whine in every gear when accelerating. I also started hearing a very slight rattle when the clutch was engaged indicating the throw out bearing was on it's way out. Took it in to a local tranny shop and sure enough the input shaft bearing was gone so I had it and counter shaft bearing replaced along with a new clutch and throw out bearing. I can't believe how quiet the tranny is now as there was always a background 'shhhhh' bearing sound when gearing up or down. Let's hope the engine can get me to 300k km as the body and cross members are all pretty much rust free. I'm just waiting for the throttle body and the overdrive alternator pulley to go out as is customary with these vehicles.

·
8,158 Posts
With just about 127k km on my manual tranny I started getting a very noticeable whine in every gear when accelerating. I also started hearing a very slight rattle when the clutch was engaged indicating the throw out bearing was on it's way out. Took it in to a local tranny shop and sure enough the input shaft bearing was gone so I had it and counter shaft bearing replaced along with a new clutch and throw out bearing. I can't believe how quiet the tranny is now as there was always a background 'shhhhh' bearing sound when gearing up or down. Let's hope the engine can get me to 300k km as the body and cross members are all pretty much rust free. I'm just waiting for the throttle body and the overdrive alternator pulley to go out as is customary with these vehicles.
The throttle body on my 2008 Patriot croaked at 270,000 miles. Engine was still going strong but starting to use a little bit of oil maybe 4000/qt. so with a litle luck you've got a ways to go. :)

If you haven't seen my other posts, I sold it to a friend around 280,000 miles and he's still driving it. Should be around 300,000 by now.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I would like to clean the throttle body is there any danger there? I heard Chrysler does not recommend cleaning it just replacing it. Just find I get that that jerking dead peddle at low rpms when starting off from a standstill that I’m sure is related to the carbon buildup on the plate?

·
8,158 Posts
I would like to clean the throttle body is there any danger there? I heard Chrysler does not recommend cleaning it just replacing it. Just find I get that that jerking dead peddle at low rpms when starting off from a standstill that I’m sure is related to the carbon buildup on the plate?
I'm no mechanic but what's the harm in trying? At worst you ruin it and you have to replace it -- but that's where you're at now. With a little luck the cleaning works. Of course nothing lasts forever but if cash is a little tight right now cleaning it might buy you some time.

I cleaned the TB on my Pontiac and I don't think I ever replaced it. Then again the tranny was giving me problems and it wasn't too long after the ECM failed so I dumped the car at 250,000 miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts