Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I filled up my tank at the gas station today and when I went to turn it back on it just clicked once and shut down. Once I had someone helped me jump it the car then immediately shut down again. After jumping the car a second time it worked for a little while, until it shut off again while I was driving back home. At first I thought I accidentally left a light on or two while filling up the tank, but now I’m not so sure.

I tried taking it to AutoZone to have them check out the battery and alternator and they said everything checked out, but seconds later the car shut off again. I’ve been needing to jump it almost every time I drive it and I’m wondering if anyone knows why this might be happening?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
los, were you able to check for any error codes?
I kept an eye out for any signs that showed up and nothing was really flashing. I noticed while I was driving the ABS and the hydroplaning lights would turn on together almost at random times. For reference, it’s 55 degrees Fahrenheit and the streets are completely dry where I’m at. I was also at a complete stop one time when both lights went off. I’m having a hard time figuring out what’s causing it

·
Registered
11 Posts
Make sure your battery posts and cable ends are shiny-clean and tight. Autozone should have battery brushes to clean everything. It seems simple, but it's very important - the whole system depends on clean connections.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Make sure your battery posts and cable ends are shiny-clean and tight. Autozone should have battery brushes to clean everything. It seems simple, but it's very important - the whole system depends on clean connections.
While cleaning it today I noticed one of the connections was loose. After tightening it up it seemed to work just fine. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a the same trouble and it was fuel vapor emissions trouble but will not turn on the "check engine " light because it is so immediate. When the tank is filled to the top, especially if you try to top it off, some fuel backs up into the expansion tank meant to hold fuel that expands on a hot day. BUT when flooded with raw fuel it works its way through the fuel evaporation system as raw fuel, it goes rich to the engine and floods out and dies. It is not as bad as the old stuck carburetor choke . I would pull over, and it would start again. It sometimes repeat itself 3 times the first 5 minutes. . Then I'm good till I over fill again or get in a hurry. The source of my problem is the little flap in the gas tank neck broke off and fell inside. I just fill a bit slower so the fuel doesn't back up. . It is out off EPA emissions warrantee so I take my time rather than buy a new gas tank. This is one of those freak situations like the ruptured purge valve on a carbon canister.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts