Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2014 Patriot 4x4.
Daughter had an issue filling it up when we left the dealership.
Tried filling again today at different gas station and same issue.
Gas will back up the filler tube and kick off the pump.

I'm guessing its a plugged vent.

Anyone else have this issue and where the vents might be located?

Much Thanks!!!

·
Administrator
6,745 Posts
Others here have had that problem, it's often to do with a faulty, sticking roll-over valve that is integrated into the gas tank. The "fix" is to replace the fuel tank as the valve cannot be replaced separately.

Here's a thread on the issue:

You might try taking your hand or a rubber dead blow hammer and thumping gently on the side of the fuel tank to try to un-stick it. The tank is plastic so don't use anything that could puncture it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Others here have had that problem, it's often to do with a faulty, sticking roll-over valve that is integrated into the gas tank. The fix is to replace the fuel tank as the valve cannot be replaced separately.

Here's a thread on the issue:

You might try taking your hand or a rubber dead blow hammer and thumping gently on the side of the fuel tank to try to un-stick it. The tank is plastic so don't use anything that could puncture it.
Thanks for the tip - Ill give it a try - I'm wondering it has anything to do with it sitting for so long with 1/4 tank of gas?
I picked up some SEA FOAM and will see if that helps Lube it up to unstick it!

·
Administrator
6,745 Posts
Thanks for the tip - Ill give it a try - I'm wondering it has anything to do with it sitting for so long with 1/4 tank of gas?
It might, I've always wondered if it was getting stuck due to residue left from something in the fuel.

Let us know if it helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It might, I've always wondered if it was getting stuck due to residue left from something in the fuel.

Let us know if it helps.
Sorry for the lateness of this update.
BEATING on the bottom side of the fuel tank did the trick!
used a rubber deadblow hitting the bottom and filler tube side of the tank.
never heard anything drop inside but drove it straight to gas station and has been filling up correctly ever since.

had others acquaintances try to convince me it was the charcoal canister at the tank. Dealer quoted about $300 for the special order part. Glad it just took a few solid hits to jar that ball loose.

Thanks for ALL the replies!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts