Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Linking some conservative sites:
https://www.foxnews.com/world/ap-impact-after-40-years-1-trillion-us-war-on-drugs-has-failed-to-meet-any-of-its-goals

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danafeldman/2018/02/09/doc-series-the-trade-the-war-on-drugs-costs-the-u-s-over-78b-a-year/#6d28fe82c1b2

And this one is fun...
Drug War Clock | DrugSense

When is enough enough? What could we do with all that money? Would it be more beneficial if put to other uses like health care or medical research? Perhaps we could lower taxes and still have enough left over for some social programs....

By holding on to this failed policy and clutching our pearls over the "evils of drugs" we are destroying our country, compromising our morality, and ignoring much more pressing and more important needs.

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
I care less about marijuana - just hemp. If weed was legal today in every form I prob would never touch it - most definitely not smoke it.
Help is where its at people.

Reactions: nth256

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
When is enough enough? What could we do with all that money? Would it be more beneficial if put to other uses like health care or medical research? Perhaps we could lower taxes and still have enough left over for some social programs....
An interesting theory is that taxes reach diminishing returns. If you increase the taxes in one place, sales tax in particular decreases. For example, if people are using their money to buy pot, they will buy less junk from walmart. The sales tax revenue from walmart would decrease and could possibly overtake the increase in taxes from the pot.

·
Registered
188 Posts
An interesting theory is that taxes reach diminishing returns. If you increase the taxes in one place, sales tax in particular decreases. For example, if people are using their money to buy pot, they will buy less junk from walmart. The sales tax revenue from walmart would decrease and could possibly overtake the increase in taxes from the pot.
Yes, and I can see how that would hold true if it were a commodity already in the market: increase fuel tax: people stop going into the gas station for candy&energy drinks.
What doesn't apply here is that pot wasn't an economic commodity accounted for (it existed in the black market, and those that bought it before without paying taxes now do pay taxes). For all those who abstained from pot until it became legal (or travel here just to smoke weed), it was a new product with taxes built into it's market value.

While I don't smoke (engineers need their brain cells) my family members that do tell me that legalization brought the price down and quality up, simply because of the competition. Nobody stopped buying lululemon see-through britches so they could start buying weed, they didn't have to. Even with the taxes, black market weed isn't prolific in CO anymore because it can't compete with the legal weed. Our illegal grows are effectively entirely for export to states that think MJ is the hill to die on.

As was mentioned in the other thread, as a non-pothead, I still voted for legalization because of it's burden on our state. 1/4 of our incarcerated population was there for non-violent possession crimes with over-sized minimum sentences. Our prisons were so over-crowded that "Mandatory Parole" was instated. There were no parole hearings, it was just automatic. Half the child molesters that were released early due to mandatory parole (IIRC the number was around 60) were rearrested for molesting MORE children within a year.

As much as I can't stand drugs, and REALLY can't stand people when they're high, stoners belong behind gas station counters, at the farmers market hauking jewelry made from trash, or in their parents basement playing video games. No child molester should be set free just to keep a stoner locked up.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I can tell you in colorado, the pot money was supposed to go to schools and they had grand plans of what to do with the money. Schools here have hardly seen the money they predicted they would get, and the money they do get goes towards pot education classes instead and helping people addicted to drugs.

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
So wheres the money going?

Reactions: jack.allwardt

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
So wheres the money going?
They first didn't get as much as the predicted they would get. They also spent it on things that weren't really related with education such as drug abuse prevention classes.

They also borrowed the money for other programs. I bet they also raised the wages for school admins as usual.

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Yes, and I can see how that would hold true if it were a commodity already in the market: increase fuel tax: people stop going into the gas station for candy&energy drinks.
What doesn't apply here is that pot wasn't an economic commodity accounted for (it existed in the black market, and those that bought it before without paying taxes now do pay taxes). For all those who abstained from pot until it became legal (or travel here just to smoke weed), it was a new product with taxes built into it's market value.

While I don't smoke (engineers need their brain cells) my family members that do tell me that legalization brought the price down and quality up, simply because of the competition. Nobody stopped buying lululemon see-through britches so they could start buying weed, they didn't have to. Even with the taxes, black market weed isn't prolific in CO anymore because it can't compete with the legal weed. Our illegal grows are effectively entirely for export to states that think MJ is the hill to die on.

As was mentioned in the other thread, as a non-pothead, I still voted for legalization because of it's burden on our state. 1/4 of our incarcerated population was there for non-violent possession crimes with over-sized minimum sentences. Our prisons were so over-crowded that "Mandatory Parole" was instated. There were no parole hearings, it was just automatic. Half the child molesters that were released early due to mandatory parole (IIRC the number was around 60) were rearrested for molesting MORE children within a year.

As much as I can't stand drugs, and REALLY can't stand people when they're high, stoners belong behind gas station counters, at the farmers market hauking jewelry made from trash, or in their parents basement playing video games. No child molester should be set free just to keep a stoner locked up.
I would "like" this post a million time if the site would let me. We don't have to "legalize" anything. All we have to do is "decriminalize" possession under a certain amount. And the private use in private areas. New businesses open, licensing fees can be charged, tax revenue goes up, prison spending goes down. We already have the models in place with alcohol and tobacco regulations. Private and public industry will quickly move with research for more legit medical uses and to find reliable means for "on the spot testing". There will be some thorny issues. Like how using medical marijuana relates to a persons ability to exercise their 2nd amendment rights. But I'm sure the NRA will jump at the opportunity to back prohibitionists and we can all relax knowing that no legal pot using hippie can buy a gun.
George Washington and Thomas Jefferson grew fields of the stuff and still managed to outline and build our government. I wonder if they ever caught their wigs on fire.....

Reactions: REDONE

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I'm sure the government has found ways to spend money faster now. :icon_rolleyes:
Also of note in this equation is the fact that the federal government is still spending all of that in the "war on drugs". They suck up whatever Colorado makes plus more and still run a deficit on that alone..... Just another reason to end the insanity.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I can tell you in colorado, the pot money was supposed to go to schools and they had grand plans of what to do with the money. Schools here have hardly seen the money they predicted they would get, and the money they do get goes towards pot education classes instead and helping people addicted to drugs.
Was this brought up as an issue in your recent elections?

·
8,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Was this brought up as an issue in your recent elections?
NH had a couple amendments to the state constitution. One would permit any taxpayer to have standing in Superior Court if one feels money is not being spent in appropriate ways according to whatever mandate there was.

E.g. if pot money is mandated to go to education and my town spends it on renovating the teacher's lounge, I or any taxpayer can take it to court and say the teachers' lounge was an inappropriate expenditure.
Previously if I didn't have children in that school the Superior Court held that I didn't have standing to bring the issue before them since I was not impacted by the way the money was spent.

·
Premium Member
11,009 Posts
I think that is fair - voters approve giving money to the schools and the taxpayers using the schools appropriate its use as needed.

·
8,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think that is fair - voters approve giving money to the schools and the taxpayers using the schools appropriate its use as needed.
Measure needed 2/3 to pass and it did. I agree, it is good to hold government accountable for the promises it makes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We don't have to "legalize" anything. All we have to do is "decriminalize" possession under a certain amount. And the private use in private areas. New businesses open, licensing fees can be charged, tax revenue goes up, prison spending goes down. We already have the models in place with alcohol and tobacco regulations.

I like the way you think. "Legalization" should open this area for fair taxation. This will reduce arrests for keeping a small dose of marijuana. This is all we need to do but then begins the politics and demagogy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts