Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is this crazy noise?
drive.google.com/file/d/0B9MATCDEgpsUQzVKUF9VV3AxQWxkTjJIa1p5UnNsN1lDYktJ/view?usp=sharing

Around 1000 - 2000 RPMS I get this crazy robotic whirring noise. It's getting louder and I'm starting to get worried. I'm hoping it's not the tranny, but i feel like that's what it is.

2007 Jeep Patriot 2.4 L
109,000 miles

UPDATE:
If anyone experiences the same sound, its the alternator pulley. I replaced it and the sound went away.

·
Major Modificator
498 Posts
I'm willing to bet it's your tension pully. Mine blew up on me right at 100,000 miles. Might as well replace the other two pullies with it. They're all plastic garbage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have around 109k miles on it. I havent changed the alternator, but Im not the first owner of the vehicle so not sure.

I changed my oil about a month and a half ago... Noticed this crazy noise last night as I was changing my brakes, how can I determine if it's the alternator or something else?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It probably is the alternator. I found this link on youtube and it sounds exactly like my Pat

www. youtube .com/watch?v=gZ7jaFkb21M

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I have around 109k miles on it. I havent changed the alternator, but Im not the first owner of the vehicle so not sure.

I changed my oil about a month and a half ago... Noticed this crazy noise last night as I was changing my brakes, how can I determine if it's the alternator or something else?
The worst thing about the alternator is that it works fine until the pulley fails completely. It will make a racket for a year and a half, but you likely won't notice any major electrical bugs, until the pulley finally just disintegrates. Unfortunately, there isn't a really fool-proof way to test the pulleys unless you take off the accessory belt.

I replaced my alternator a little while ago (at about 108k miles). To be honest, i wasn't sure that was the problem, but i took a chance and I was right. I hate to suggest replacing something unnecessarily, but considering the failure rates of the pulleys they use on the alternator, if you're wrong, you can chock it up to preventative maintenance. Plus, once you have the acc belt off, it'll give you a chance to spin all the other pulleys to see how they sound.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts