Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a engine code P0317. First I change the camshaft sensor not that. Then I remove the camshsft cover and it look like that exaust camshaft is more than 90 degres offset and the engine was still running. Am I right or not about the exaust camshaft position
20200130_160726.jpg

·
Registered
178 Posts
I doubt that the exhaust cam is out of time. Are you aware that you have two camshaft sensors, one for each camshaft?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I know. I replace the sensor on exaust camshaft. It look like that exaust camshaft is offset. I don't understand that cam is so offset acccording to information I found. The intake camshaft look to be at the right place.

Screenshot_20200130-150229.jpg

·
Registered
185 Posts
the pulley on the crankshaft is a different diameter (its smaller) then the pulley on the cam shaft. So the crankshaft has to rotate twice for every one revolution of the camshaft. Try to spin crank pully another 360 degs and see if the timing marks line up on the cams.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Whenever you are setting "initial timing" on an engine you first need to ensure that the #1 cylinder is on the compression stroke. Then there will generally be a mark on the crankcase that you line up with a mark on the crankshaft pulley. Once that is done you line up the marks for the camshaft pulleys and install the timing chain. If you had not set the the crankshaft position to compression stroke for cylinder #1 then the timing marks for the camshafts may not line up like your picture states.
I highly doubt your crankshaft timing is off. The 2.0 and 2.4 GEMA engines are "interference" engines. If the cam timing is off be even a little bit the piston will smash into the open valves at teh top of it's stroke and destroy the valves and most likely the piston, connecting rod. Since you said the engine was still running, I think we can rule out a slipped timing chain or bad "intial timing".
And what led you to changing a cam sensor for p0317? p0317 description is "rough road hardware not present". Meaning the ECM is having a difficult time determining if the vehicle is running rough or just traveling on a rough road causing the vibrations it's seeing. My first instinct would be to check out the spark plugs and coils if I had not been driving on very rough roads or had vibrations induced by a bad wheel hub or steering component.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. During my reseach I think Imix up P0017 and P0317 code. Look like not to be a timing problem the camshaft and the crankshaft pulley are well align. The only problem is the timing is not at the right place. I will have to resart the engine to see my code.
20200203_124820.jpg
20200203_123731.jpg
20200203_125923.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Restart the engine snd still have P0017 code. Does anyone have pin out of the camshaft sensor to test the old one?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Information send by Dorman Products

P0017-CRANKSHAFT-CAMSHAFT TIMING MISALIGNMENT-BANK 1 SENSOR 2
For a complete wiring diagram refer to Diagrams/Electrical.

image002.gif

- When Monitored:

With the engine speed present and within a calibrated amount.

- Set Condition:

The PCM detects that the camshaft position is out of phase with the crankshaft position. One Trip Fault. Three good trips to turn off the MIL.
image003.gif

Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding.

Diagnostic Test

DTC IS ACTIVE

Turn the ignition on.

With the scan tool select View DTCs.

Record the related Freeze Frame data.

Start the engine and allow it to reach operating temperature.

WARNING: When the engine is operating, do not stand in direct line with the fan. Do not put your hands near the pulleys, belts, or fan. Do not wear loose clothing. Failure to follow these instructions can result in personal injury or death.

NOTE:
If the DTC does not reset it may be necessary to test drive the vehicle.

Is the status Active for this DTC?

Yes

- Go to 2

No

- Refer to the *CHECKING FOR AN INTERMITTENT DTC Diagnostic Procedure. See: Computers and Control Systems > Component Tests and General Diagnostics > Checking for an Intermittent DTC

2. CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT WIRING OR CONNECTORS

Turn the ignition off.

Using the wiring diagram/schematic as a guide, inspect the wiring and connectors between the Crankshaft Position Sensor and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

Look for any chafed, pierced, pinched, or partially broken wires.

Look for broken, bent, pushed out or corroded terminals.

Inspect the Crankshaft Position Sensor for conditions such as loose mounting screws, damage, or cracks.

Were any problems found?

Yes

No

- Go to 3

3. CAMSHAFT 1/2 POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT WIRING OR CONNECTORS

Using the wiring diagram/schematic as a guide, inspect the wiring and connectors between the Camshaft 1/2 Position Sensor and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

Inspect the Camshaft 1/2 Position Sensor for conditions such as loose mounting screws, damage, or cracks.

Were any problems found?

Yes

No

- Go to 4

4. CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR IRREGULAR SIGNAL

Using a lab scope and the Miller special tool #6801, backprobe the (K24) CKP Signal circuit in the Crankshaft Position Sensor harness connector.

Turn the ignition on.

Wiggle the related wire harness and lightly tap on the Crankshaft Position Sensor while monitoring the lab scope screen.

Start the engine.

Monitor the Crankshaft Position Sensor signal on the lab scope screen.

Were any Crankshaft Position Sensor signals irregular or missing?

Yes

- Go to 6

No

- Go to 5

5. CAMSHAFT 1/2 POSITION SENSOR IRREGULAR SIGNAL
image004.gif

Turn the ignition off.

Using a lab scope and the Miller special tool #6801, backprobe the (K441) CMP 1/2 Signal circuit in the Camshaft 1/2 Position Sensor harness connector.

Turn the ignition on.

Wiggle the related wire harness and lightly tap on the Camshaft 1/2 Position Sensor while monitoring the lab scope screen.

Start the engine.

Monitor the Camshaft 1/2 Position Sensor signal on the lab scope screen.

Were any Camshaft 1/2 Position Sensor signals irregular or missing?

Yes

- Go to 7

No

- Go to 10

6. CRANKSHAFT, TONE WHEEL OR FLEX PLATE

Turn the ignition off.

Remove the Crankshaft Position Sensor.

Inspect the Crankshaft Position Sensor and mounting area for any condition that would result in an incorrect signal, such as damage, foreign material, or excessive movement.

Were any problems found?

Yes

No

- Go to 8

7. CAMSHAFT, TONE WHEEL OR PULSE RING

Turn the ignition off.

Remove the Camshaft 1/2 Position Sensor.

Inspect the Camshaft 1/2 Position Sensor and mounting area for any condition that would result in an incorrect signal, such as damage, foreign material or excessive movement.

Were any problems found?

Yes

No

- Go to 9

8. CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR

Using the wiring diagram/schematic as a guide, inspect the wiring and connectors between the Crankshaft Position Sensor and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

Were any problems found?

Yes

No

9. CAMSHAFT 1/2 POSITION SENSOR

Using the wiring diagram/schematic as a guide, inspect the wiring and connectors between the Camshaft 1/2 Position Sensor and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

Were any problems found?

Yes

No

10. ENGINE OIL DIRTY OR CONTAMINATED

Turn the ignition off.

Inspect engine oil for signs of contamination, sludge, or foreign material.

NOTE: If the engine oil is contaminated, inspect the Camshaft 1/2 Position Solenoid for contamination, foreign material, or any condition that would restrict movement of the valve. The solenoid must be replaced if it is damaged or if valve movement is restricted due to contamination.

Were any problems found?

Yes

No

- Go to 11

11. INCORRECT ENGINE OIL VISCOSITY

Review service history to determine if the correct viscosity engine oil was used.

Were any problems found?

Yes

No

- Go to 12

12. CAMSHAFT 1/2 POSITION SOLENOID CONTROL ACTUATION

Turn the ignition on.

With the scan tool, actuate the Camshaft 1/2 Position Solenoid control to toggle on and off.

Listen for the Camshaft 1/2 Position Solenoid to click open and closed during the actuation.

Does the Camshaft 1/2 Position Solenoid click open and closed during the actuation?

Yes

- Go to 16

No

- Go to 13

13. (K343) FUSED MAIN RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT HIGH RESISTANCE
image005.gif

Turn the ignition off.

Disconnect the Camshaft 1/2 Position Solenoid connector.

Turn the ignition on.

Using a 12 volt test light connected to ground, check the (K343) Fused Main Relay Output circuit in the Camshaft 1/2 Position Solenoid harness connector.

NOTE: The test light should be illuminated and bright. Compare the brightness to that of a direct connection to the battery.

Is the test light illuminated and bright?

Yes

- Go to 14

No

14. (K276) CMP 1/2 CONTROL CIRCUIT HIGH RESISTANCE
image006.gif

With the scan tool, actuate the Camshaft 1/2 Position Solenoid control to the ON (100%) position.

Using a 12 volt test light connected to 12 volts, check the (K276) CMP 1/2 Control circuit in the Camshaft 1/2 Position Solenoid harness connector.

NOTE: The test light should be illuminated and bright. Compare the brightness to that of a direct connection to the battery.

Is the test light illuminated and bright?

Yes

- Go to 15

No

15. CAMSHAFT 1/2 POSITION SOLENOID

Turn the ignition off.

Inspect the wiring and connectors between the Camshaft 1/2 Position Solenoid and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).

Remove the Camshaft 1/2 Position Solenoid.

Inspect the Camshaft 1/2 Position Solenoid for contamination, foreign material, or any condition that would restrict movement of the valve.

NOTE: The solenoid must be replaced if it is damaged or if valve movement is restricted due to contamination.

Were any problems found?

Yes

No

16. CAMSHAFT PHASER

Turn the ignition off.

Remove the appropriate Camshaft Phaser.

Inspect the Phaser for contamination, foreign material, or any condition that would restrict operation of the Phaser.

Inspect the Phaser oil passages for signs of sludge or foreign material.

NOTE: The Phaser should not be disassembled. If the Phaser is damaged, it must be replaced.

Were any problems found?

Yes

No

- Refer to the *CHECKING FOR AN INTERMITTENT DTC Diagnostic Procedure. See: Computers and Control Systems > Component Tests and General Diagnostics > Checking for an Intermittent DTC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts