Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm looking to install a bull bar and tow hooks on the riot and I just realized that a bull bar could serve the same purpose as tow hooks. I've looked at some of the install threads for a bull bar and see it's mounted to the frame like the tow hooks, would this make it strong enough to be used in place of tow hooks in desperate situations?

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
bull bars arent intended to act that way, but yes they could be used,
remember, connection point you want as low as possible, as straight off the frame as possible, connecting to bars above such points could warp/bend it,
my recomendation on using bull bars is to connect tow hook down low on it welded or bolted on,

·
Registered
127 Posts
The bull bar maybe mounted to the frame but, it the material and construction of the bull bar rated for 1.5 times the GVW of the Patriot?

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
You would need a custom made bull bar that mounts to the tow hook locations if you want something to pull from. I remember an old post of someone who made one like that. It was a piece of square tube that sat in front of the bumper and bridged the distance between the tow hooks. I believe he had shackles mounted to the tube just in front of the mounting locations.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
You would need a custom made bull bar that mounts to the tow hook locations if you want something to pull from. I remember an old post of someone who made one like that. It was a piece of square tube that sat in front of the bumper and bridged the distance between the tow hooks. I believe he had shackles mounted to the tube just in front of the mounting locations.
yes for bull bars to work as tow points they would need to come straight off the frame, through the existing tow hook holes, or similar.
any design that loops under the front bumper/fascia then comes up,
will fail, as strength is weakened, being transferred to the bull bar at its weakest point and not directly to the frame.
also if you ever need to tow to/from the side, such as gettiing out of a ditch,
bull bars generally cannot handle sideways pressure

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
The run of the mill bull bars you buy are just decorations. They offer very minimal protection. They may help if you hit a rabbit or want something to push light brush out of the way, but that's about it.

I recently installed a large bull bar to my Envoy and to make it capable of a decent hit I had to weld gussets to the bottom of the frame and flat bar going from the guard to the steel bumper at the mounting points. The as delivered attachment points would have folded over instantly probably causing more damage to the front end than preventing it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts