Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be using my sail panel tweeter pods to demonstrate but it is basically the same process for woofer pods and even subwoofer boxes.

Supplies needed:

Fiberglass resin & MKEP
Fiberglass cloth/chop mat
Drill press
Hole saws
Hot glue gun
Small diameter dowel
Fleece/an old t shirt
Body filler
1/2" MDF
Sandpaper
Die grinder
Nitrile gloves
Paint brushes (resin will eat foam brushes)
Utility knife
Sharp scissors

Start by making a ring out of MDF to hold the tweeter and flush mount cup. I used a drill press and the appropriate size hole saws. Theres kind of a trick to this process, start with the smaller saw and only notch the MDF. Switch to the larger hole saw and notch again. Clean out the teeth and drill all the way through using the smaller hole saw, then do the same with the larger making sure to line up with the notch you already made. Also, be sure to constantly clean out the teeth on the hole saw as MDF fills them quickly. You should end up with something like this:

Next, cut the dowel to the appropriate length and use hot glue to support the ring in its final position. These don't have to be super solid because they wont be structural in the final product. If you're looking to make both sides perfectly symmetrical do both sides before moving on to the next step. Here's a pic:

Now use the fleece or old t-shirt to wrap the panel using hot glue to stick the fabric to the back of the panel. Be sure to get the fabric pretty tight and avoid wrinkles if at all possible. You may find yourself re-doing this once or twice to get it perfect. The better this step comes out the less sanding you will be doing later on. Test fit after wrapping because this is what the final product will look like and the next step is the point of no return. Trim the excess material before applying resin.

Mix up the resin and MKEP(hardener) according to the instructions, put on some nitrile gloves and saturate all the fabric except where the speaker will go. If you used fleece, keep in mind it sucks up ALOT of resin. Work quickly because when the resin starts to set up you're done working with it and may need to mix up a little more. If this is your first time, follow the instructions for mixing, and adjust the amount of hardener as needed for the following batches. Once all the fabric is covered, a heat gun can be used to speed up the drying process. Be careful not to get anything too hot.

Once its fully cured, sand lightly using 60 grit. This doesn't have to be perfect, just knock down some of the texture of the fleece. Now we will add a layer of the fiberglass mat. For something this small I only use one layer of mat. On something like a subwoofer box, anywhere from 8-12 layers should be used. If your sub box is strong enough to stand on you've got enough. To add the mat, cut it into small strips and triangle shapes. These will be alot easier to work with than larger pieces. Mix up enough resin and dip the pieces of mat in then stick them to the piece. They should be completely saturated like the fleece, and use a dabbing motion not a brushing motion to make them lay flat. On something this small I find its easier to use my hands than a paintbrush or roller. Let dry.

Now you have something that should look pretty rough. Use a die grinder to knock off everything hanging off the edges, and a utility knife to cut out the speaker hole. I'm not going to give a bodywork tutorial, but get ready for lots of sanding and a few skin coats of body filler.

Heres a few (almost) finished pics:

Fitment issues: The back edge (closest to weatherstripping) doesn't have any room for extra material. I had to skip the mat on this section and trim down the weatherstrip where it was hitting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts