Jeep Patriot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I acquired a lovely 2008 Patriot 2.4L CVT automatic transmission with ~230,000km on it.

I recently encountered an issue with it where the engine repeatedly loses power/ bucks once I hit approximately 50km/h.

I usually accelerate slowly up to 50km/h and either it feels like the engine stops (the vehicle slows down even if i floor it) or it bucks (I floor it and it revs up, jerks forward, then slows back down in about 1 seconds time).

today I noticed the RPM was literally oscillating between ~1300 and 1500 as this was happening which looked very odd.

An interesting fact about this issue is that it only occurs once per trip. that is, I took it out for the first time today, it happened within 1 minute of driving, and then i drove to the store, parked it for 15 minutes, and it didn't happen again. But I know that it will happen again tomorrow.

What I've done recently:
  • Transmission fluid change
  • New spark plugs (had them done earlier today)
I had the mechanic run a diagnostic today and it returned the following codes:

P2008 : Intake Manifold Runner Control Circuit/ Open Band 1a
P2010 : Intake Manifold Runner Control Circuit High Bank 1a
P2017 : Intake Manifold Runner Position Sensor/Switch Circuit High Bank 1a
P0300 : Random/ Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P0032 : H02S Heater Control Circuit High Bank 1 Sensor 1

Also, the check engine, ABS, ESP BAS, and electronic stability control lights are usually always on.

I also had an issue a month or two ago where the passenger headlight went out, and it was due to a faulty ground. to fix it I spliced a new wire from the headlight to a bolt in the engine bay, so I am wondering if it could be a bad ground causing more problems here.

My friend/mechanic who has worked on the car is pretty convinced that the error is not because of the intake manifold.

Any help/suggestions/leads would be greatly appreciated!

if I left any important info out then please let me know and I'll be as responsive as possible

·
Administrator
6,988 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

If you think it's ground related, you could try measuring the ground connections from the component connectors to the chassis with a meter.

But since you've already had ground problems, have an older model, and you're in Canada (road salt), I would just take the next step and properly redo the grounds with new ring lugs to eliminate it from the equation.

Pulling codes with a code reader is good, but if you can get a scan tool that can display / graph live data so you can see what's going on with the sensors when the problem happens, that might be more helpful.

A trip to the dealer (presuming the dealer is a good one) for a full system diagnostic, including a PCM test, might also be worthwhile.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum.

If you think it's ground related, you could try measuring the ground connections from the component connectors to the chassis with a meter.

But since you've already had ground problems, have an older model, and you're in Canada (road salt), I would just take the next step and properly redo the grounds with new ring lugs to eliminate it from the equation.

Pulling codes with a code reader is good, but if you can get a scan tool that can display / graph live data so you can see what's going on with the sensors when the problem happens, that might be more helpful.

A trip to the dealer (presuming the dealer is a good one) for a full system diagnostic, including a PCM test, might also be worthwhile.
Thanks for the reply, I will likely try and replace/look at the ground connection today and take it for a spin. My instinct is that it wouldn't be due to the ground because of the way the issue happens only once per trip and stops for a while.

·
Administrator
6,988 Posts
The reason I'm saying clean the grounds up first is not only have you had ground problems, but some of the error codes refer to circuits that involve those grounds.

p2008 in my 2008 service manual is INTAKE MANIFOLD RUNNER (SWIRL) CONTROL CIRCUIT/OPEN and the circuit includes G110 (passenger headlight ground).

• When Monitored:
    With the engine running and battery voltage greater than 10.4 volts.
  • Set Condition:
    The PCM detects that the Manifold Flow Valve control circuit voltage is not within an acceptable range.

Possible Causes
INTERMITTENT DTC​
(K601) MFV CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
(K601) MFV CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND​
(K601) MFV CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE​
(Z916) GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE
MANIFOLD FLOW VALVE​
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)​

2. (Z916) GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Schematic

Turn the ignition off.
Disconnect the Manifold Flow Valve connector.
Using a 12 volt test light connected to 12 volts, check the (Z916) Ground circuit in the Manifold Flow Valve harness connector.
NOTE: The test light should be illuminated and bright. Compare the brightness to that of a direct connection to the battery.

Is the test light illuminated and bright?

Yes

• Go to 3

No

If it isn't the grounds, then it might be the PCM failing but hopefully the dealer diagnostic could sort that out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts