Jeep Patriot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
A True Straight Shooter
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Who woulda thunk it?! So I open and close my lift gate about as often as I open and close my driver side door. Always loading and unloading gear, but did you know that every time you slam the lift gate, you're putting a termendous amount of stress on the PLASTIC latch that holds the flip down speakers in place?

I was at the Archery rang today getting ready for a hunt. I unloaded my bow and slammed the rear gate shut- and suddenly I hear a thud on the inside! I opened the lift gate back up and found that the speakers had flipped down on their own. I examined the latch and found this:
View attachment 3012
View attachment 3011

The crappy plastic latch holding the speakers in place snapped right in the middle!!!!! What a design flaw if I've ever seen one. Now, I tend to operate under the assumption that if it happens to me, it will definitly happen to someone else. So I considered it my Jeep PATRIOTIC duty to fix this problem myself and then write a how-to thread on the fix.

The Fix:
Is so very simple. All you need is some Gorilla Glue and some black duct tape. Any color duct tape will do but black looks the best.

1. Cut a piece of duct tape about 4 inches long. Then tear it longways right down the middle. This will give you a small 4 inch strip.

2. Apply a small amount of Gorilla glue in the crevice of the break and a thin coat on the rest of the plastic latch bar.

3. Slowly wrap the duct tape around the latch bar. The Glue will be greasy and will make starting out difficult. Be slow and careful to make the tape as tight as possible. I did it in a way that resembles rolling up unrolled toilet paper. The name of the game is to make the tape as tight as possible. Once done, let it sit for about an hour without latching.

4. Try the latch. You may have to push the speakers up hard if the tape wasn't tight enough, but once the speakers are all the way up, the reinforced latch will hold them securely just fine.
View attachment 3013

·
Registered
377 Posts
Nice job with the fix firemothjoe. Always appreciate your helpful fixes. I don't have to worry about this one since I don't have the premium sound but I thought that this could be a problem down the road with the flip down speakers.

NP

·
A True Straight Shooter
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the + feedback, NP! I'm very surprised to see that I'm apparently the first person this has happened to. Go figure.

I'm quite confident that this fix will hold forever, but if it doesn't, I know for sure that industrial streangth velcro will do the trick.

·
Registered
124 Posts
thanks for the quick fix information.
hopefully mine doesn't go anytime soon. i guess i'll start treating the rear door gently now.

·
Registered
618 Posts
those things look like they were made crappy. you should yank them and sell them to me:) lol

·
Patriot addict
827 Posts
Thanks, Joe! I subscribed to this thread just in case this ever happens to me. Another crappy design feature courtesy of Chrysler LLC.

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
Thanks for the info...hopefully won't have to worry about it but good to know the fix besides getting it to the dealer.
Rich:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guys, about 10 years later... here's my official fix without buying a new $200 tailgate panel.

I sat down, literally in the hardware aisle of home depot today for 2 hours with a sketchbook after taking measurements of the speaker assembly on the tailgate and $3 later I found my fix.

An eye bolt, two nuts, and some 3" mending plates acting as washers to pinch onto the plastic.

See the photo for the items I bought and used.

the 1/4" eye bolt is the perfect thickness for the speaker latch to latch onto with enough space inside the opening part. I did use my Dremel to cut some length off of the threaded part of the eye bolt, you could use a hacksaw if you don't have one.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guys, about 10 years later... here's my official fix without buying a new $200 tailgate panel.

I sat down, literally in the hardware aisle of home depot today for 2 hours with a sketchbook after taking measurements of the speaker assembly on the tailgate and $3 later I found my fix.

An eye bolt, two nuts, and some 3" mending plates acting as washers to pinch onto the plastic.

See the photo for the items I bought and used.

the 1/4" eye bolt is the perfect thickness for the speaker latch to latch onto with enough space inside the opening part. I did use my Dremel to cut some length off of the threaded part of the eye bolt, you could use a hacksaw if you don't have one.
Also, I will attach a photo of what the fix on the tailgate looks like.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
My speakers have done the same - sadly I've never ever used them!!!! Every time I open and/or close the hatch they fall down and its soooooo frustrating!

·
Registered
250 Posts
The best thing to do is to simply remove the speakers and replace the liftgate panel with the non-speaker one. My panel broke simply from opening and closing the rear door when I was loading my groceries into the vehicle, so I know what it's like to have to deal with the problem. The plastic used in all Jeep interior panels is simply not strong enough - for safety reasons, it's low-grade and malleable - to bear the full weight of the speakers where the latch would be, nor can they handle the long-term stress at the point where you'd put on a patch clip for the speaker to latch on to, and every Jeep vehicle that comes with the rear speakers has this problem. The only real solution that I came up with for keeping the speakers is to install a long T-bolt into the rear door frame that reaches exactly to where the liftgate speaker would latch on to the panel, thereby keeping the weight of the speakers onto the sturdy rear door itself, but that is labor intensive and requires measuring and cutting and drilling and I don't wanna do it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
If you don't use them and don't care too much about how it looks, you can hold the speaker closed, then screw one or two screws into the gap between the speaker and the door panel. Drywall screws work pretty good. That's what my friend did.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts